*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking what is better just opens a whole can of worms. Everyone has their own opinions and I don't feel there is a definitive answer. I personally like Zaino products, does it mean they're better? Avoid detailing world, it's a cesspit of elitist keyboard warriors.
I have some Blackhole Glaze, Natty's Paste Wax and Poorboys wheel Sealant. All do the job, and not expensive.

Last edited:
Yeah i guess thats what im looking for, just peoples opinions who have been doing it a while and have tried a host of products :)

I have only used Autoglym/Meg's & limited poorboys products so i dont have much experience :)

And i will avoid if its full of people like that, cheers :)

By all means read, there is some good stuff but like on here, you ask a perfectly innoxious question and the warriors assemble (although some are actually very knowledgeable and have a slightly corrosive rhetoric).
The products I have been most impressed with are Kleers Metal polish and glass cleaner, Gtechniq P1 polish, Zaino Z2 sealant.

Last edited:
it's not "all" people like that, but yes, you do get your fair share of elitist fanboys over there, however there is a whole myriad of great information regarding product choice and technique too.

Personally I'm using CarPro Snow Soap and Iron-X, Sonus polishing compounds and Autoglym HD Wax, with a few other products thrown in here and there for good measure (like Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover, Meguires Endurance Tyre Gel, etc).

the problem is, until you've tried a great number of products you don't really know which you prefer to use, and which brings out the best for your paintwork. The above kit was utterly superb for my old Daytona Grey (dark) Audi A6, but on my current silver A4, it's a bit lacklustre.

Meguires scratch X is really good for swirls and little scratches, I gave it a quick a try on my bonnet to see, just waiting for some nice weather now so I can do it properly

Before and After

78e8bfae3c7719d0b111b6c28e9d2c26.jpg

3409b0aa2377202f9bc98f1eb931bf7f.jpg

probably could have been better had I spent more time.

Last edited:
Some bilthammer clay (can never spell it)
Megs gold class shampoo
Autoglym super resin polish
Wax of your choice, FK1000, can

You will need microfibres and drying towels, some brushes for the alloys. 2 buckets and a mitt.

Just bought that megs shampoo, autoglym resin polish and the fibes/mitt. Waiting for my collinite 845 wax to arrive as I've heard good things about it.

With regards to the clay - is it worth it? Not really sure what effect it has

edit: oh and one of the shop assistants saw the Megs shampoo as I was buying it and told me it was excellent

Last edited:
After you wash it with 2 buckets, run your fingers over the paint, if you feel any bumps or little bit of dirt still on it, Clay bar should be able to take that off. A clean paint surface should be buttery smooth.

What you don't want to do is when you start polishing, pushing those bits of dirt around and scratching the paint.

It's worth it, I do it once a year or so, although I did it after 6 months this time after a really dirty winter.

in what way do you use both SRP and BH . both very very similar albeit great products ! infact im half sure that BH would remove any filling that SRP did before then filling itself

in what way do you use both SRP and BH . both very very similar albeit great products ! infact im half sure that BH would remove any filling that SRP did before then filling itself

They are both polish but BH has more a glaze element to it?

I have Amigo which is similar to black hole, when I did my car on the weekend i didn't have the time to use SRP and Amigo so I went straight to Amigo. It was much harder work by hand with Amigo to polish as it is less abrasive than SRP so need more elbow grease to get the shine. The instruction recommends using a polisher which I should have done as i do have a DA, I just don't have any pads at the moment. In a perfect world you would start with a more corse polish an then a finer one to finish it off. BH and Amigo are great because their are dark in colour so better for black cars. But because it is finer, and more work, next time I'll remember getting the DA polisher out, but if just hand polishing, SRP is fine as it is.

That's my understanding anyway. Then you wax/sealant on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom