*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long lasting protection, i dont have as much time as i would like to clean the car so long lasting protection makes sense. I shall check out the Autoglym extra gloss :)

A good wax?

There are other good sealants around (Carlack, Poorboys, Auto Finesse) but EGP is easy to get hold of. Someone else might recommend another product.

Collinite 476 is an excellent wax for long-lasting protection.

Will you be doing a full clean/clay/polish before applying the protection?

I think halfords have the 3 for 2 on car cleaning again, at least according to their website. Going to check out my local store this weekend cause I am sure it wasn't on last time I went. Need to stock up. ;)

Washed the car tonight, ended up drying it by streetlight and now its raining. :(

At least I got all that awful salt/road dirt off. :mad:

There are other good sealants around (Carlack, Poorboys, Auto Finesse) but EGP is easy to get hold of. Someone else might recommend another product.

Collinite 476 is an excellent wax for long-lasting protection.

Will you be doing a full clean/clay/polish before applying the protection?

Is there any need to clay and polish a brand new car?

Is there any need to clay and polish a brand new car?

Yes, bear in mine where most cars are kept when waiting for sale, although clean to look at most are covered in contaminents, they sit around in compounds next to delivery trucks running or trains even just being left outside for a few weeks will cover it in stuff.
Also with no extra protection waxes or sealants. Best to clean it completely and start again.

Bullit

Right ok i understand

Please spec me a clay and polish?

Jees this is starting to get expensive :p

Haha, welcome to the world of car cleaning! :p

Bilt Hamber Clay is popular because it can be used with water instead of a special lubricant (which is just additional cost) I like CleanYourCar.co.uk yellow clay which can also be used with water.

However, if you're planning on getting everything from Halfords instead of ordering online, both Autoglym and Meguiars do a kit which contains the clay and lubricant spray.

In terms of polish you'll want to look at hand-polish solutions (unless you want to splash out on a machine polisher :p).

Meguiars do a three-step solution but you wouldn't need step three as this is a carnauba wax and it won't last as long as the Collinite 476 suggested earlier.

Sonüs do a two-step solution which can be applied by hand.

Then there's Autoglym Super Resin Polish. It's not actually a polish in the traditional sense. The two systems above are slightly abrasive and 'cut' a very fine layer from the clear coat to remove swirls and scratches. SRP is more of a 'filler'.

If it were me I would:

• Wash
  • Clay
  • Wash
  • Polish
  • Seal
  • Wax x 3

If you want to be extra vigilant you could include a 'decontaminate' stage before claying with something like IronX or Auto Finesse Obliterate which should dissolve most of the contaminates that the first wash doesn't remove.

It also means there is less crap to drag around the car with the claybar.

What's the best product with which to clean and treat the leather?
I'll get some glip tone for the bolsters, but I've never done anything to the seats and the passenger one looks rather dry.

/noob

What's the best product with which to clean and treat the leather?
I'll get some glip tone for the bolsters, but I've never done anything to the seats and the passenger one looks rather dry.

/noob

For years I've used Gliptone Conditioner on my Leather seats but recently run out, prior to getting some more I consulted the oracle of detailing world on any new leather products. The general opinion being leather in modern cars is sealed so conditioners do absolutely nothing, in fact they are detrimental if anything.
With my car being a 2004 the seats looked their age and a bit shiny. Applying conditioning type creams doesn't actually shift any dirt and getting in and out simply buffs the cream up.
I used a nail brush and a mild solution of apc and worked it in then wiped off with a white cloth, the cloth turned black, it was filthy. I then used warm water to wipe over.
My seats look 100% better, matt again and in much better condition.

I'll probably buy Dr Leather wipes which gets good reports when I order some more detailing gear.

Dr Leather wipes is excellent if a little on the expensive side.

Picked up a bottle of Britemax Clean Max a few weeks ago but haven't managed to wash the car yet due to the weather. Squeezed in a quick wash yesterday though early on in the morning and the shampoo is great! Smells nice, loads of suds even though the water in my area is hard and cleans very well indeed. :)

Tar!

Hi Guys

Was washing my car today and noticed that there is tar all over the paintwork at the sides and round the arches. I am assuming this is due to amount of road re-surfacing that has been going on in my area over the last few months. It is just covered in little black tar spots.

What do you guys recommend/use to remove it without damaging the paintwork?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom