Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I don't do a lot of miles, like 6-8k a year. More looking at ceramic because of the added hardness it offers on the paint and resistance to swirling and other defects, the paint isn't messed up per se but would likely benefit from the correction that's included.

Also the added advantage of not needing to regularly polish and wax for a long time is attractive!

I think the resistance to swirling is a bit of snake oil really, if you are going to use the hand car wash places, or not do it properly yourself, you will still get swirls in ceramic coatings. Once a car has been polished and waxed correctly, you shouldnt really need to again for 6-8 months if you wash correctly.

Associate
Exactly, i don't own a garage so ensuring that the car is out of rain and other contaminants to properly cure is a problem, plus having it professionally corrected is likely more than i can do with the DA i have.

I wash myself, two bucket method and take all precautions to not cause swirling as much as possible. Just that the car has decent paint and i want to protect it as much as possible!

But yes, it is a big wedge to outlay

Underboss
Some semi serious work put in yesterday

Autoglym - Body shampoo conditioner
SRP & EGP afterwards

out of curiosity, what is SRP and EGP ?

im about to clean my car inside and out Thursday and i use Autoglym shampoo, followed by Autoglym Polish followed by Autoglm Wax

Can somebody recommend me a way of doing the interior and the exterior of all glass ? (mirrors, windscreen, side windows, internal drivers mirrors etc)
thanks

Soldato
out of curiosity, what is SRP and EGP ?

im about to clean my car inside and out Thursday and i use Autoglym shampoo, followed by Autoglym Polish followed by Autoglm Wax

Can somebody recommend me a way of doing the interior and the exterior of all glass ? (mirrors, windscreen, side windows, internal drivers mirrors etc)
thanks

SRP = Autoglym Super Resin Polish
EGP = Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

Soldato
Recommend you a way of doing the glass? Spray glass cleaner on a microfibre or terry cloth and clean the windows. Not sure what you're expecting to hear?

I guess if you struggle with the inside of the windscreen there is one tip, which is to essentially invert your wrist (bend it backwards) from the passenger seat to reach the very bottom edge of the drivers side window and vice versa.

Soldato
I personally like Stoners Invisible glass, but have used everything for mega-cheap Tesco-brand 'house' window cleaners before. Some cars seem to have almost a film on the inside of the glass from smoke/vapes/whatever which can make it seem worse when you try and clean it. If thats the case you can use some all purpose cleaner and follow that up with window cleaners, or just apply more window cleaner!

You can seal some windows (polish doesnt really work, and has a habit of making wiper blades skip) but wouldn't recommend it for the front. Works well on side windows and mirrors (if glass, not plastic) and helps keep them streak/waterspot free which helps with visibility. Something like RainX is an option for front windscreens but requires very frequent application and doesn't make much more of a difference than a clean window, Gtechniq have a decent product but its quite expensive and again doesn't last ages.

Soldato
Gave Soft99's Fusso Dark a go the other day. Ended up putting too much on because I was rushing which made it a real pain to get back off again, but the end result was good.

IQRLE6s.jpg

It rained an hour later though. Didn't mind though, the beading was superb :)

WPfV0Sr.jpg

QoiOC50.jpg

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Getting my new car soon and need to get some car cleaning stuff. Sold all my stuff back in 2014 so almost starting from scratch.. I have 2 buckets, drying towels and a wash mitt at least :p

So far on my list I have:

Dr Leather - Advanced Leather Cleaner
Size 500ml Bottle £17.95 £17.95
Gyeon - Bathe Essence
Size 400ml Bottle £9.95 £9.95
SONAX Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer 750ml
£12.95 £12.95
GYEON - Bug & Grime Remover
Size 400ml Bottle £7.95 £7.95
CarPro - Iron X LS Fallout Remover 500ml
£10.95 £10.95

Thinking of picking up SRP, and possibily EGP as well. Then I can put BSD over EGP.

Soldato
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this as my googling takes me to detailing sites and most of what they say goes over my head and beyond my level of what I'm really trying to do TBH.

Basically I currently clay, polish (with AG SRP) and carnuba wax our cars once a year and wax when required throughout the following 12 months. This does exactly what I need from a finish point of view.

The problem I have now is that due to a problem with my shoulder I find the process (especially the polishing stage) quite tricky. In fact the last time I did it I basically just smeared the SRP on and wiped it back off rather than working it in.

So, along with swapping from clay bar to clay mit I was also thinking of getting myself a DA Polisher. I have a model in mind that appear to do what I need so no worries on that front but basically I just need my mind putting at ease with these two points.

1) Does a DA with SRP actually give better results than by hand? I'll aim to use up my SRP first but are there any other very low or no cut products I should be considering instead?
2) If I'm not chasing "correction" as such and only using SRP with fine pads can I safely get away with just doing this once a year as I currently do without having to ever worry about measuring paint depth etc.?

Soldato
1) Does a DA with SRP actually give better results than by hand? I'll aim to use up my SRP first but are there any other very low or no cut products I should be considering instead?
2) If I'm not chasing "correction" as such and only using SRP with fine pads can I safely get away with just doing this once a year as I currently do without having to ever worry about measuring paint depth etc.?

No doubts a DA will do a better job than by hand, beware they are probably heavier than expected though.

I haven't used SRP before so can't really comment on how to apply it or its effectiveness however once a year sounds like the norm to me, considering we have crap weather most of the year :D

Recommend me a good detailing brush please (for bodywork and interior, NOT wheels)
going to use it for bottom of the side windows, door shuts and air vents, grills etc

Spoilt for choice there as every detailing site seems to sell their own ;)

I think I have the following although mine are blue rather than red they don't sell any others.
http://www.in2detailing.co.uk/3x-soft-detailing-brushes-25mm-30mm-40mm.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom