Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No doubts a DA will do a better job than by hand, beware they are probably heavier than expected though.

I haven't used SRP before so can't really comment on how to apply it or its effectiveness however once a year sounds like the norm to me, considering we have crap weather most of the year :D
Thanks, the weight won't be an issue it is the polishing motion that causes me issues. Larger sweeping motions cause me far less problems

Soldato
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this as my googling takes me to detailing sites and most of what they say goes over my head and beyond my level of what I'm really trying to do TBH.

Basically I currently clay, polish (with AG SRP) and carnuba wax our cars once a year and wax when required throughout the following 12 months. This does exactly what I need from a finish point of view.

The problem I have now is that due to a problem with my shoulder I find the process (especially the polishing stage) quite tricky. In fact the last time I did it I basically just smeared the SRP on and wiped it back off rather than working it in.

So, along with swapping from clay bar to clay mit I was also thinking of getting myself a DA Polisher. I have a model in mind that appear to do what I need so no worries on that front but basically I just need my mind putting at ease with these two points.

1) Does a DA with SRP actually give better results than by hand? I'll aim to use up my SRP first but are there any other very low or no cut products I should be considering instead?
2) If I'm not chasing "correction" as such and only using SRP with fine pads can I safely get away with just doing this once a year as I currently do without having to ever worry about measuring paint depth etc.?

In this situation would it be worth paying for someone else to do it for you? Whilst a DA polisher will help, they can be quite heavy and if you have an issue with your shoulder I am not sure if this will make the problem go away.

I am sure there will be a good mobile guy in your area which could do exactly what you need to do once a year and then come and do maintenance washes for you in between.

Soldato
Would like a rcommendation for an interior matt plastic restorer to replace sonax on the right -
is the newer sonax, a white cream like the older struff is ? any good ?

for windows have used the clear vue product and also done the seals with gummifledge.

I have just used SRP without previously claying, and perhaps with a bit more pressure, but seems fine.
SRP is pretty thick so I think you would use a lot with a DA - cleaning up the pads afterwards, plus some overspray, always puts me off that, versus doing it by hand too.

28294283068_0fbfa60707_o_d.jpg

Man of Honour
Would like a rcommendation for an interior matt plastic restorer to replace sonax on the right -

for windows have used the clear vue product and also done the seals with gummifledge.

I have just used SRP without previously claying, and perhaps with a bit more pressure, but seems fine.
SRP is pretty thick so I think you would use a lot with a DA - cleaning up the pads afterwards, plus some overspray, always puts me off that, versus doing it by hand too.

SRP will remove a little grime and it is incredibly gentle to the paint. Doesn't take long to use a clay mitt first. Plenty of videos show that a DA adds little to SRP application.

Haven't done my seals in ages, definitely on the to do list. GummiPflege is epic for these.

For windows I use a claymitt now. Leaves a similar effect to RainX on the windscreen. Crazy how clean it leaves them.

What kind of plastic is it? I just use Autoglym interior cleaner for most internal surfaces. Does a great job.

Soldato
for interior windscreen clean - don't knock the mirror off BTDT bought the glass glue

What kind of plastic is it? I just use Autoglym interior cleaner for most internal surfaces. Does a great job.
interior textured black plastics with some heat/sun damage, so want something non silicone(+non-smelly), to work in with a toothbrushh after well cleaning with soap first.

Soldato
Soldato

I've used valet pro black to the future , to good effect. Although I'd recommend more than one coating.

Soldato
thanks, i'm perhaps a bit sceptical about the glossy comments - or is it not too much inside the car ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valet-Future-Plastic-Restorer-Dressing/dp/B00QJ31QZU#customerReviews
Valet Pro Black to the Future Trim & Tyre Restorer
**PLUS FREE POLISHING CLOTH & APP PAD**
This Valet Pro Black to the Future Trim Restorer is a more versatile trim product that is equally as good to use on tyres also.
Durability is excellent as it absorbs nicely into plastics and rubber surfaces.
It does not leave a grease feel and helps repel grime. It leave a nice gloss shine on plastics and a high sheen on tyres.

Soldato
OK so going to clay bar my car tonight after work as the evening are lighter now so I'll wash it (jet wash) and mitt soap wash. then clay bar with suitable lubricant do I then wash it again then add the polish?

Got this clay -
Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g

And this wax -
Bilt Hamber BHDSW250 Double Speed-Wax 250ml

Thanks

Soldato
Any recommendations on cleaning cream/champagne leather and plastic on my aged X-type?

The leather is old but not very cracked and the plastic seems to have general grime and possibly discoloration from ash.

Man of Honour
OK so going to clay bar my car tonight after work as the evening are lighter now so I'll wash it (jet wash) and mitt soap wash. then clay bar with suitable lubricant do I then wash it again then add the polish?

Got this clay -
Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g

And this wax -
Bilt Hamber BHDSW250 Double Speed-Wax 250ml

Thanks

After claying, microfibre the lubricant off, then polish, then seal.

When you tire of the clay bar, get a mitt.

Man of Honour
Will do, get a mitt for what exactly? To clean or ...

Thanks

Clay mitt. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Farecla-71...pID=51AxV1U7wLL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch (much better with some Rapid Detailer type solution, amazing results on a white car after a long tough winter on the paint).

A much larger area than a clay bar and works just as well. Just make sure the car is as clean as possible beforehand and keep rinsing down the mitt. Get some Extra Gloss Protection and your car will look absolutely brilliant with very minimal effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom