Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Forensic detailing has some good videos on these.

https://youtu.be/t98Tm0o87Rk

Plus loads more on spray on ceramics and ceramic coatings.

I generally apply a good lasting wax when I have time and then for top up in between use the rapid ceramic coating. I used to use HD wax, but have some UHD wax on the way which seems to last longer and is meant to be glossier and easier to apply. My only problem is that it looks a bit cold over the next few days to apply it.

A good lasting wax should last 3-6 months depending on conditions where as these spray on ceramics seem to only last a few weeks.

I generally avoid the hybrids, mainly because they don’t fit my typical cleaning regime and also because I’d rather place a top quality wax down first.

The thing is, I wouldn't mind that if it's genuinely as easy to apply as spraying it on the panel and rinsing - because it's barely any extra work when washing/rinsing the car, and I tend to do that every few weeks anyway.
Whereas with my "proper" wax (Collonite), it lasts several months, but it's relatively time consuming and laborious to apply. I think I'd happily trade having to do it regularly by adding one step to the wash, for the couple of hours I spend having to apply Collonite, even if I only do that twice a year. I find it a chore and keep putting it off.

I know with the Meguiars HC it suggests the first application isn't rinsed off but buffed off instead, though being lazy and not reading the instructions before using it, I never did that and it still works well. I can't imagine any of the other similar sprays from decent brands are any worse.

Given it's so easy to just spray a couple of times on each panel and blast with the pressure washer, i've never been worried about whether it lasts a month or three months, just top up a little bit each wash, it takes 2 minutes.

Cheers. I might pick some up and try it for my next wash.
I guess it also has the added benefit of meaning less contact with the paintwork. I've already started using a water filter so I don't have to towel dry the car, if I switch to a spray sealant, then the only time I'll ever need to actually touch the paintwork is when washing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have thorougly neglected my cars in the cleaning department. So, with a little burning hole in pocket money I have bought a tidy lot of cleaning products.

My first foray into DA polishing with a Rupes LHR15. A mix of Gtechniq, BH cleaning products with a smattering of other random products to play with.

Going to get a couple of old bonnets from the local yard to practice on before moving onto our cars.

Caporegime
Is that Hyrdo2 stuff good? I think I am being left behind in the world of sealants/waxes. I have Collonite, but it's quite laborious to apply. I've also tried AG Polar Seal, which is easier, but it still needs decanting into the foam bottle first and really needs to be applied regularly.
I like the look of Hyrdo2 because it seems as though you get a decent couple of months of protection by just spritzing it over a wet car and pressure rinsing, which would be especially ideal during the winter - but part of me thinks it's too good to be true. I've watched a few videos and can't see how it's a thorough application method.

Given the panels would just hold water and now they completely repel water it seems good, can't comment on how well it lasts but if it lasts between washes that's good enough for me. Gyeon Wetcoat would last about 2 months but I found the paint quite 'grabby' when drying off, with Hydro2 my towel glided over the panels.

The application method seems ham fisted but you're misting the whole panel and then rinsing it will push the product around as well.

I think in an ideal would you'd want to do a proper ceramic coating applied by hand and then use this as a top up, but it's a good quick fix if you don't have any protection on the paint.

Soldato
Cheers. I might pick some up and try it for my next wash.
I guess it also has the added benefit of meaning less contact with the paintwork. I've already started using a water filter so I don't have to towel dry the car, if I switch to a spray sealant, then the only time I'll ever need to actually touch the paintwork is when washing.

One thing to bear in mind with HCW (not sure if others are the same) is that less is more - if you over apply it, it'll streak and make a mess. Best to apply lightly and if not satisfied after rinsing, go back with another spray or two.

Most negative reviews seem to be from people who assume that if you spray on twice as much the protection will be twice as good and last twice as long but it doesn't really work like that, there's just too much product to deal with. Much like a regular wax, it's easier to add a bit more on a second pass than try and get rid of too much product.

Man of Honour
Meguiars Vera brush arrived today. Absolutely brilliant for front of the wheels and lower sills.

These polishing pads arrived too as recommended here, absolutely brilliant - THETAG 12pcs microfibre hand polishing sponge Waxing Polish Wax Foam Sponge Applicator with Handle Car Waxing Foam Sponge Pads(SouFace) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086WBM...abc_QPKQVF2X7KWXC064ARCE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Meguiars car wash plus, AG uhd wax and tyre gel arrive tomorrow.

Haven’t invested in cleaning kit for a while. I must stay on top of cleaning the car now.

I still find myself going back to my wheel woolies after all these years. They were expensive, but do an excellent job at getting into the wheels.

Man of Honour
If the car thaws out tomorrow I need to put leather protector on the seats and to apply rubber and vinyl spray where appropriate on the interior.

Hoping to wax the car on Friday, weather depending. Looks far too cold and then wet tomorrow. It may have to wait until my next period of time off, it’s almost a shame to remove the current ceramic coating.

What I’d give for a garage - but the combination of London prices and the fact it would get turned into a gym make that prospect moot I guess :p

My final car products arrived today , although I still need some bilt hamber korrosol, at least within the next 6 weeks. I love the applicator pad that comes with the UHD wax.

Soldato
What I’d give for a garage - but the combination of London prices and the fact it would get turned into a gym make that prospect moot I guess :p
This has made itself apparent to me too - we're about to move out of London and get a place with a garage and driveway. But honestly the value of that much space, unfortunately, will almost never be worth less than a car! If it's not workshop it's deep storage or DIY stuff etc, or it could be an extra room. A car would almost never win compared to my other plans :(

Man of Honour
This has made itself apparent to me too - we're about to move out of London and get a place with a garage and driveway. But honestly the value of that much space, unfortunately, will almost never be worth less than a car! If it's not workshop it's deep storage or DIY stuff etc, or it could be an extra room. A car would almost never win compared to my other plans :(

Yup, it’ll always get used for something else when space is at a premium. I’d spend more time detailing if I could be sure my car wouldn’t immediately get wet or dusty - it’s actually more annoying in the summer. My dad lives further north, has a house worth less that includes a triple garage. Frustrates the hell out of me because he only keeps one freezer in there :cry:

Man of Honour
Used the AG leather kit on the seats and leather trim. Shines the leather up beautifully.

Applied AG vinyl and rubber care to the plastic sections that also adds an excellent finish.

Although I recently picked up AG tyre gel, I used their tyre dressing today due to the tyres only really needing a top up.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I completed the clean today. I perhaps started a little early as some sections froze as I rinsed them down, so I left it to thaw a little longer. Most importantly I beat the forecast showers.

The whole process is so much easier now that I have the polish applicators with handles (thanks for the tip). Washed, SRP followed by UHD wax. The UHD wax is really impressive, its left the silkiest finish on the car that I've ever felt. It'll be interesting to see what its durability is like. The tyres had faded somewhat after instant tyre spray, so I ended up using the gel.

I often spend more time on the outside than in, so decided to focus a little more on the interior this time.

I don't think it'll stay this clean for long.

Soldato
Had a bit of rain last night and came down to these beads this morning...this is the EZ Fusion, spray on rinse off sealant.

Around 3 weeks since the last clean:

KCzwUpg.jpeg

Soldato
Came close to needing to wash an old boy and his e-scooter off my car. He wanted to go straight over the roundabout and he entered on the inside and cut to the left lane right at the exit.

Caporegime
Afternoon all!

As we are seeing more damp, frosty mornings are there any recommended in car screen clothes/sponges people use and rate?

Thanks

Change your cabin filter and use the air con to dry the air out, shouldn't really need to wipe the inside of windows. A decent microfibre towel will do if you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom