The cleanest fitting flat wiper blades for E46 are....

Soldato
It's been a long time since I looked in to it (and I can't be bothered to validate), but IIRC there are no PIAA silicone blades that work properly with the E46.

Caporegime
Ever tried Rain X or Turtlewax clearvue Rainkleer ? It works very nicely on medium to heavy rain at speeds over 50 mph. The drops pretty much immediately fly off to the side as with wipers.

Yes, tried rain x, and I find it complements the wipers as opposed to using it instead of the wipers....

Caporegime
I use Halfords's RainX equivalent for all external glass, does a good job as per http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/203940/rain_repellents.html.

Seems to last a good while too, even on windscreens. Sometimes it causes juddering if you don't apply it evenly and buff it correctly.

As for cheap wiper blades doing the same job...great, what's not to like? Another thrifty money-saving khan idea. The man's obsessed with doing the same for less, a good trait in my book.

Man of Honour
OP
Not obsessed, just that I know a good tip worth sharing when I see or come up with one be it computer/phone/camera or car focused. After all, who doesn't like to save a bit of ££ and do something of benefit at the same time!

Soldato
Rainx is for chumps, I have g techniq g1 it lasts 6 months while working far better, its only a fiver more

Another vote for G Techniq. Applied it to a mates e46 and it's bloody good stuff! Just need to get another bottle of it for my e36 and another set of wiper blades and I'll be seeing clearer in no time!

Soldato
Yes, tried rain x, and I find it complements the wipers as opposed to using it instead of the wipers....

Well I must admit I don't use the real rain X but the turtlewax equiv. instead, and that lasts AGES, 2 months per application if you apply it correctly by the instructions. It does complement the wipers but at >50 mph it makes the wipers unneeded, it does the job on it's own well enough.

Man of Honour
OP
Just a bit of a bump, plenty of e46 owners here still.

BMW have stopped selling/sourcing the standard wiper blades that came with the cars and are selling the EVO type flat blades that just fit right on, the driver's side guide clip on the arm needs detaching and is easy to do.

Dealers are quoting between £31 (discount) and £35 for a pair but I found out there os an alternative made by Alca of Germany and found some on eBay which are half the dealer price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-3...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1f3f763d

Might be useful for some of you out there :p
I'll grab a pair to check them out.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I'll let you know in a few days :)

They should do though, the below pic is of the EVO ones BMW are now selling, notice how they are exactly the same in frame and head design as the cheap £6 eBay ones, and just like the ones I bought in my Op?

Wiper%20Blade%20Set%20-%20Front.jpg

The Alca ones look a lot more original and the blade design is even more flat too. They're also rated for a million more wipes than the cheaper ones, no idea on who makes the now BMW sold ones or their rating though.

I've never had a problem with the blades like the ones in my Op though, they work just fine and last me a year or maybe a bit less. I would not use blades for that long anyway though, TBH a year's worth of usage down these parts with the kind of rain and wind we get is quite harsh and I do drive up and down the country a bit too. I'm on a mission to find the best looking/fitting blades really but don't cost £30+ because there really is no need for something to cost that when cheap ones wipe as good "most" of the time!

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have any recommendations for off-the-shelf screenwash, or a homebrew concoction? I keep getting an annoying oily film on my windscreen that doesn't shift with my wiper fluid, which makes it really difficult to see with the low sun at the moment.

Man of Honour
OP
how old are your wiper blades? The oilyness is just the cleaning agent not being wiped properly by the blade as the blade is worn down - I sorted this out for a friend recently as he was having the same problem, his blades were 2 years old o.0

Back
Top Bottom