* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

Associate
Very nice. :)

Recent:
  • East of West Vol. 4
  • Outer Darkness Vol. 2
I'm also reading through some Werewolf by Night. I have vague memories of having a few issues as a kid.

Associate
I have finally managed to get my hands on book 2 of Locke and Key, and now have all the Master Editions. Am about half way through book 2, fantastic.

Great story, and really nice books as well - the Master editions are lovely

Just read The Woods: Yearbook 2 (James Tynion) - pretty good series so far, but probably more YA than I was expecting. Pitched somewhere around the Stranger Things / Lumberjanes kind of level. It has won GLAAD awards for LGBTQ representation - if that has immediately set you on an "SJW/PC brigade" rage, this is not the book for you :D

Started The Filth (Grant Morrison) - great fun, but weird - even by Grant Morrison standards. Reminds me a lot of the 2000AD story Indigo Prime

Soldato
I might need to check out The Woods. Sounds like it could be a fun read.

M6HoIHn.jpg

I'm really happy to get my hands on the Deluxe Hard Cover of Book 2 Y The Last Man, came today. Really enjoyed the first book and have been waiting as I wanted to see if the second deluxe book would come up. Paid £39 for it, second hand in brand new condition. For some reason this is impossible to find new and rare second hand. Good thing the rest in the deluxe series are available!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've started reading Batman: White Knight, it's an interesting take on the Joker becoming sane and a good page turner! The artwork is great as well.
I haven't read many graphic novels in the last few years and this has been a nice one to pick up and read.

Associate
Finished The Woods - pretty good all round, but did end a bit suddenly. It's rare I wish a series ran longer, but a few more issues of the history would have been good. I enjoyed it, but it's no Paper Girls.

I'm really happy to get my hands on the Deluxe Hard Cover of Book 2 Y The Last Man, came today. Really enjoyed the first book and have been waiting as I wanted to see if the second deluxe book would come up. Paid £39 for it, second hand in brand new condition. For some reason this is impossible to find new and rare second hand. Good thing the rest in the deluxe series are available!

Love Y The Last Man - great story, perfect ending. Hopefully the long-languishing TV series can get some traction

I've started reading Batman: White Knight, it's an interesting take on the Joker becoming sane and a good page turner! The artwork is great as well.
I haven't read many graphic novels in the last few years and this has been a nice one to pick up and read.

You'll be glad to hear book 2 (Curse of the White Knight) is out in September ;)

Associate
New Image Humble Bundle is worth a look - https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2

I've not read all of them, but would consider Farmhand, Curse Words, Ice Cream Man, Sex Criminals and Monstress worth the price of entry on their own. The only one I wasn't sold on was Nailbiter, which is a really interesting 2/3 book idea dragged out to 5 books. Stray Bullets, Black Science and Criminal have all been hovering around my watchlist for ages, plus there's plenty of non-Walking Dead Kirkman.

Associate
I could never get into Curse Words. Not sure why, maybe I should give it another go. Farmhand, Ice Cream Man and Black Science are on my to-read list.

Soldato
New Image Humble Bundle is worth a look - https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2

I've not read all of them, but would consider Farmhand, Curse Words, Ice Cream Man, Sex Criminals and Monstress worth the price of entry on their own. The only one I wasn't sold on was Nailbiter, which is a really interesting 2/3 book idea dragged out to 5 books. Stray Bullets, Black Science and Criminal have all been hovering around my watchlist for ages, plus there's plenty of non-Walking Dead Kirkman.

Thanks for the link, worth the top tier price for Black Science alone. Read volume 1 and its one of the better comics of the last few years. I literally almost bought vol 2 on comixology last night.

Associate
Thanks for the link, worth the top tier price for Black Science alone. Read volume 1 and its one of the better comics of the last few years. I literally almost bought vol 2 on comixology last night.

Thanks for the recommend - powered through the first 3 books over the weekend, it's absolutely superb (and also adds to the already amazing value of this bundle).

@SixTwoSix I think you might enjoy Planetary and Clean Room, which feel similar in tone (although wildly different stories). You might enjoy Ultimate Fantastic Four as well, which has the same dimension hopping ideas - not as interesting as Black Science, but vastly superior to the canon-FF, and doesn't need 30 years of required reading to jump into it :D

Also read Fall of Deadworld bk 2 - great, but now I'm relying on 2000ad schedules to get to the next part. Won't hold my breath...

If anyone's looking for something crazy and fun, I can heartily recommend I Hate Fairyland, which successfully answers the question "what if Lobo was 6 and got stuck in the Wizard of Oz" :D. It's as stupid as it sounds, and absolutely revels in it. Great Skottie Young art as well

Associate
I got the first American Vampire because I'm a Stephen King completionist, but I never went any further than that. I just don't find vampire stuff at all interesting :D

A friend of mine is equally as excited about the new series, maybe I need to give it another chance

Associate
Boo!

Nah, only joking. I'm not the biggest fan of vampire stuff either, to be honest. Never seen Dracula(1931), any of the Hammers or Nosferatu!:o

"The Lost Boys" and "Fright Night" are on my list of most re-watched '80s movies, though.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this series. You should give it another go.

Associate
@Sean34 watch 30 days of night then read the comics, both are superb. This comes from someone sick and tired of both vampire and zombie movies /TV.

Yeah, I've seen the movie. It was a lot of fun. I'll definitely check out the comics.

Dammit. Fine, I will. But if I hate it you will be receiving a stern letter of complaint :p

Bsgs7Pz.gif

Last nights reading:

Fam09Nv.jpg

:cool:

Soldato
I read The Dying and The Dead that came as part of a recent humble bundle. Utterly brilliant and couldn't put it down. Stopped abruptly at issue 6 and can't find further issues on comixology.

Back
Top Bottom