* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

Soldato
Anyone read The Massive? Found it on my tablet, don't ever remember buying it and started reading as I finished The Boys the other night.

Totally hooked, can't see where it's going tbh but that's what's keeping me reading i guess :)

Associate
Anyone read The Massive? Found it on my tablet, don't ever remember buying it and started reading as I finished The Boys the other night.

Totally hooked, can't see where it's going tbh but that's what's keeping me reading i guess :)

Been meaning to read it for years, I'll bump it up the list - thanks for the recommendation :)

Soldato

I've had The Massive for a while. Its a great little story.

I'm struggling to find things to read while waiting for new trades to come out.

Associate
I've had The Massive for a while. Its a great little story.

I'm struggling to find things to read while waiting for new trades to come out.

What sort of things do you like?

If you want some non-superhero stuff, Image are absolutely smashing it out of the park atm, they're by far and away the most interesting publisher.

Soldato
What sort of things do you like?

If you want some non-superhero stuff, Image are absolutely smashing it out of the park atm, they're by far and away the most interesting publisher.

Not into Supe stories.

Stories I already have that I can think of:-

Saga
East of West
Uber
Black Science
Fuse
Descender
Prophet
Injection
Trees
Massive
Manhatten Projects
Chew
Southern Bast***
Y Last Man
Spread
Lazarus
Locke & Key
Sandman
Preacher
Outcast
Rumble
Tokyo Ghost
Wild Storm
Postal
Southern Cross
Low
DMZ
Lots of Transformers (Bit of Death's Head)
Frank Miller Ronin, Batman etc
Watchmen
Walking Dead
Alien & AvP

Ah, recently got the Humble Bundle of The Boys etc. Will make my way through that.

Associate
Not into Supe stories.

Stories I already have that I can think of:-

*mostly excellent list*

Ah, recently got the Humble Bundle of The Boys etc. Will make my way through that.

Some quality stuff in there...and also AVP :p

If you want something quick and complete, Clean Room or Unfollow
If you want something long and complete, Fables
If you want something ongoing, Paper Girls

On a side note, everyone's favourite bounty hunter freelance peacekeeping agent has a new comic starting next week. OG Death's Head too, which is great news, yes?

Soldato
Some quality stuff in there...and also AVP :p

If you want something quick and complete, Clean Room or Unfollow
If you want something long and complete, Fables
If you want something ongoing, Paper Girls

On a side note, everyone's favourite bounty hunter freelance peacekeeping agent has a new comic starting next week. OG Death's Head too, which is great news, yes?

:D

Thank you. I'll check out the recommendations.

Associate
Recent reads:

Big Trouble in Little China
Escape From New York

Maybe I expected too much, but I found both to be pretty underwhelming. I'm a Carpenter fanboy, so I reallly wanted to enjoy them. Damn. Any thoughts?

I'm still reading The Boys. I'm on issue 23, and to be honest, the last few issues have been a little dull. I'll continue reading, and hope it picks up again.

Wow, what a depressing post!:p

Associate
I'm still reading The Boys. I'm on issue 23, and to be honest, the last few issues have been a little dull. I'll continue reading, and hope it picks up again.

Wow, what a depressing post!:p

Think I tapped out about book 7 because I'd found the last 3 really dull. I bought the lot in a Humble Bundle to force my self to finish it, but keep making excuses not to :D

If you enjoyed the first couple of books of The Boys, Marshal Law (Pat Mills/Kev O'Neill) might be worth a try - it's about a superhero who hunts superheroes. First series is excellent; the next few are wafer-thinly veiled rants about DC (Pat Mills was not happy at the time), but they're good fun. Everything's pretty short though, so nothing outstays its welcome.

Authority might be worth a try as well - has the same superheroes-as-gods themes, but not as anarchic as The Boys, and doesn't take itself as seriously as Watchmen.

Soldato
Highland Laddie was absolute garbage - the perfect example of a crappy filler thrown together to extend the shelf life of the series.

Yeah, pretty much feel the same, nothing really happens outside of backstory of Mallory and co, could easily have been part of the main story without the Scotland rubbish.

Associate
Phew! I expected to find a load of "what are ya talking about, NEWB!" :p comments. I'll plough on -- for a while at least, see if I start enjoying it again. Right now, I don't even feel like checking out the show. :eek:

I've the following lined up, if I need a change:

• The Sandman V1: Preludes and Nocturnes
  • Hellboy V1: Seed of Destruction
  • Gideon Falls V1: The Black Barn
  • He Man/Thundercats :p
I'm looking forward to making a start on all of those, especially the last one...:cool:

Soldato
Phew! I expected to find a load of "what are ya talking about, NEWB!" :p comments. I'll plough on -- for a while at least, see if I start enjoying it again. Right now, I don't even feel like checking out the show. :eek:

The show is quite a departure from the comics, still has the same DNA but they've take it in a more grounded, yet still kind of crazy direction.

Associate
Yeah, that's what I've heard. I'll probably watch the show eventually.

Are you still enjoying The Massive? I see you started reading it recently. Worth picking up?

Soldato
Are you still enjoying The Massive? I see you started reading it recently. Worth picking up?

I abruptly got to the end of volume 1 just as it was really picking up and turns out I don't have the others. I have enjoyed it a lot but not to the point I want to get Vol 2 at full price. I'll wait for the next humble deal or comixology sale.

Associate
Yep. No need to pay more than you need too -- those sales come round frequently enough. :)

I like the sound of The Massive, though. I'll definitely check it out.

Associate
Just read:

He-Man/Thundercats

Typical cross-over silliness :). The art by Freddie E Williams II is superb.

Gideon Falls V1: The Black Barn

I'm really liking this one. Lemire/Sorrentino are a great team.

Soldato
Don’t let the first book of Sandman put you off it. It’s good but nowhere near as good as what comes after. The Sound of Her Wings is where it really kicks off.

Back
Top Bottom