* The Comic Book and Graphic Novel thread *

Soldato
I started buying the new X run commanded by Hickman as I like him and having gave up on marvel around 10+ years ago I fancied another try without picking up loads of history. I must admit I really liked it and I've been buying all the titles ever since launch, really good run if anyone is tempted. Dodge the Fallen Angels title which was pretty awful but the rest has been really interesting.

Associate
Recent reads:

• Predator vs. Judge Dredd vs. Aliens
  • Aliens, Predator, Prometheus, AVP: Fire and Stone
  • Aliens, Predator, Prometheus, AVP: Life and Death
  • William Gibson's Alien 3
  • Subculture Omnibus:p
All pHHJZn5.gif

Just finished the first volume of "East of West". I'm really liking this one.:cool:

"Created by writer Johnathon Hickman and artist Nick Dragotta, the book is a Science Fiction Western set in a dystopian version of the United States whose fate rests with the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse."

Any fans?

What's everyone reading?

Soldato
Usaji Yojimbo ain’t finished as far as I know... Brilliant strip.

A broad brush here but I make no apologies - check out anything on the Humanoids imprint. From what I’ve read, all the stories are English translations of European graphic collections. I’ve not read a dud yet and I’ve picked up a fair few. The Incal series for one is legendary for a good reason. I’ve also recently read the Isabellae (sp?) series of two books. English translation of a French series published by Image (I think) and very much worth the cash.

Associate
Just finishing Volume 2 of "East of West". This is such a good read, I can certainly understand why it's rated so highly.

What do people think about Blade Runner 2019? I like the look of that one.

Associate
It's excellent. A nice combination of horror and fantasy. Some people don't like the art style, but personally, I think it's an important part of why I like the series.

Definitely worth reading!

Associate
Recent reads:

PYL6og9m.png.jpg
Batman Kings of Fear

Pretty good, but I think I'm getting a little bored of The Bat. Fantastic artwork by Mr Jones, as always.

4HSrgKmm.png.jpg
East of West: V3

nWPuRvxm.png.jpg
Outer Darkness: V1

I'm still really enjoying EoW. Got Volume 4 lined up to read before bed.

Only just found out about Outer Darkness. This is a cool mix of Star Trek meets The Exorcist. I'm really enjoying it so far.

What ya reading?

Associate
I've been trying to get through some backlog - mostly Superman stuff that I bought because "surely there must be some decent Superman stuff that isn't Kingdom Come / All-Star Superman / Red Son / the end of new 52".

Superman - Doomed
Starts well, with an interesting idea (what if Doomsday was a virus and Superman caught it), but ends up as a disjointed mess of noise, chaos and stupidity. I realised about 80% of the way through that there are spinoff chunks that are not included in the collection, but I have no desire to find them to see if it makes it better (I'm pretty sure it won't).

Superman - Unchained
Despite finding Doomed an utter chore to finish, I did go into this one pretty positive - I mean, if anyone can bring Supes back round, it's gotta be Snyder right?

Wrong. Woof.

It's basically the idea of Red Son, but in America - there's been another super-powered alien who's been working with the US military for 70 years and no-one noticed. I pretty much eye-rolled my way through this one, and I'm fairly sure I'd dislodged a retina by the end.

Superman - Year One
By Frank Miller - remember when he was good? Or at least fun or interesting?

It is Bad. With a capital B. In fact, let's go capital A and D as well. BAD. Supes spends an issue banging a mermaid, and that's still not the stupidest thing in this book.

Things I noted after this several days of self-inflicted misery:
- ColonelGeneralMajor Sam Lane (I forget which one he is now) should be played by Stephen Lang, doing the role of Colonel Miles Quaritch in Avatar. He could probably just bring the Avatar script and re-read that. I would say he's a one-dimensional character, but he barely even makes that.
- Lex is Dick Dastardly mixed with every Scooby Doo villain ever. I would not have been surprised if he ended any story by saying "and I would have got away with it if it hadn't been for you meddling Kryptonian". His plots are so ludicrous, I realised I was picturing him as Roger from American Dad...so that's broken that one.
- Given how fast and easily she zips around the world, Lois has a Batplane. Or superpowers. Or both. Honestly, I would read either of those over another "hey, there's another Superman who's not Superman and Lex has evil machinations there's no way Superman can escape this one oh he did"
- I am not reading any more Superman. Refer to the definitely-not-said-by-Einstein definition of insanity.

On the plus side:

Doomsday Clock
Sequel to Watchmen, set in the DC Universe. Some will hate everything it stands for, and I totally get that - you probably need to love Watchmen and superheroes about equally to be really swept along by it. I loved it. Could probably be added to the list of worthwhile Superman stories.

Harrow County
Do you like great supernatural story lead horror? Read Harrow County.
I'd say ideally pitched at people who like Pan's Labyrinth, Locke and Key, Hellraiser, the VVitch - the kind of dark fairytale type stories. Brilliant start to finish.

Northlanders
It's Vikings. Not much more context is needed to be honest.

Series of sometimes vaguely interconnected stories about Vikings. Ranges from good to utterly astonishing - the shorter, punchier stories are the absolute highlights. Cross & the Hammer (bk2), Blood in the Snow (bk3) and Metal (bk5) were my favourites.

Sidenote - the deluxe edition re-orders the stories by geography, so I don't think the reading order matters so much.

Transmetropolitan
I've had the Absolutes buried in my office since Christmas, but since I've had some time on my hands, I've managed to free them. Good move on my part.

I read the first 2 books years ago, then it fell totally out of print and I never got any further. When the Absolutes started dropping, I started picking them up, but waited until I had the lot to read them.

Totally worth it. I'm halfway through book 2 (of 3) and it is absolutely (pun not intended) superb. Spider Jerusalem is easily one of the greatest characters ever written, the artwork is gorgeous - and for a story set in some crazy neo-future world where species merging and aliens both exist, it is terrifyingly relevant to today. If you're a fan of The Boys, Marshall Law, anything done by Pat Mills/Kev O'Neill/Alan Moore or any of the really anarchic stuff that was happening in 2000ad in the late 90s, this is the series for you.

I'm amazed Netflix or Amazon haven't snapped this up - although to be fair, it might feel a little too real atm (horrifyingly so in the first and second stories).

On the top of my pile of shame:
Saga - has been there for too long, plan to start this after Transmetropolitan
Wicked and the Divine
East of West
Legends of the Dark Knight (complete series, this might take a while)
Grendel omnibuses
Ex Machina
Harleen

Final note - if you don't have the Kingdom Come Absolute, which was OOP for years, the 2nd edition is available. You should buy it if you don't have it. Probably one of the most beautiful books ever made, Alex Ross' art should never be viewed smaller than this (and it's a great story to boot)

Associate
Thanks for reminding me about Harrow County. I've been meaning to check that one out. Transmetropolitan, Ex Machina and The Wicked + The Divine are also on my to-read list.

Associate
oP2gMPll.jpg
Survivor's Club

"One was possessed by a poltergeist. Another was trapped in a haunted house. A third had a killer doll. Ever wonder what happened to these children of the 1980s? Find out in SURVIVORS CLUB, a new series cowritten by renowned horror novelist Lauren Beukes and award-winning cover designer and illustrator Dale Halverson, with art by Ryan Kelly (NORTHLANDERS).
Having found each other over the internet, six grown-up survivors are drawn together by the horrors they experienced in 1987 when a rash of occult events occurred around the world--with fatal results. Now, there are indications that it may be happening all over again. Is it possible that these six aren't just survivors--but were chosen for their fates? Collects SURVIVORS' CLUB #1-7."

Bit disappointing, awesome art but the story was a bit all over the place. I liked the premise very much, just feel it could have been handled better. HvrQu3h.png

Associate
Yeah, it was a missed opportunity. @SixTwoSix are you reading anything else at the moment?

I was feeling rather lazy yesterday, so didn't do much more than play The Witcher 3 and read the following:

09N75KWl.png.jpg

rmFYdeN.jpg

Also, just got Volumes 4-6 of Immortal Hulk. I read the previous 3 about a year ago....
..I wonder how much I can remember. YQ9mrJt.gif

Soldato
Yeah, it was a missed opportunity. @SixTwoSix are you reading anything else at the moment?

Not reading anything regular, generally depends what Comixology have on sale for the week or whatever Humble Bundle put out.

Still chipping away at the last Jonathan Hickman humble bundle deal from Image.

I always gravitate back to Batman, such high quality consistently good writing across the last 30 odd years since I first started, recently went through Knightfall/Quest/End, then Contagion and on book 2 of No Mans Land right now.

Associate
Finished Transmetropolitan. What a story - can't recommend it highly enough. Definitely an uncomfortable read in places, especially with storylines including excessive police force and attempts to restrict the first amendment. Either Warren Ellis is a future seeing wizard, or 2008 was way more ****** up than I remember :eek:

Started the first deluxe edition Saga (issues 1-18) with the intention of reading a couple of issues. Ended up finishing it and ordering book 2 :D. I knew almost nothing about it, but it was not what I was expecting at all - I was thinking it was in the Fables mould, which it definitely isn't. The best way I could describe it is Romeo and Juliet, set in the Fifth Element, written by the guy that did Flesh Gordon - and no, that is not a spelling mistake.

Soldato
Earlier this year I read my first graphical novel after visiting a comic store in Dublin and then Canada. Since then I've been hooked!

I'm not normally a physical book person, I do like my Kindle. But with graphical novels I have a real thing for physical. Something about the print and artwork on paper I really enjoy. I can already understand the frustration of titles going out of print and becoming hard to find.

I have finally managed to get my hands on book 2 of Locke and Key, and now have all the Master Editions. Am about half way through book 2, fantastic.

e2h4kJk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom