The decreasing standards of written English

Associate
Trust me some of the videos you've made. It's what I do for a living so I might be able to help if you want.

Its pretty much nothing, I'm overglorifying uploading gaming videos and my crap attempts at music over image slideshows.

Its not a skill that will earn money, its just something I dabled in. But I thought it should at least count as I.T experience but it doesn't.

Man of Honour
Alright calm down let’s all have a cup of English tea and some scones.

Think that I’ll take a pass on that, can’t even stand the smell of tea, and I rarely eat scones, and even then I’d hope that the provider of said scones would pronounce them to rhyme with bones.

I remember when I needed to phone HSBC customer service once.

All I heard was 'GOBBELDY GOBBELDY GOBBLEDY? GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLEDY'.

God damn most ineligible Welsh accent you could ever imagine.

What if you can speak perfect English but you sound like Limmy? I've watched his videos for years and still can't understand a word.

Did you really mean ineligible? It means unable to be considered for something, you may have been going for unintelligible.
Who tf is Limmy? Scratch that, I Googled him, but I’ve no idea what he sounds like.

Soldato
Incorrect.

Current tense - 'He's being an idiot isn't he?'

Past tense - 'He's been an idiot, hasn't he?'

Not sure what you think you are correcting, the above seems to be a reproduction of my pre-existing edit, with a comma removed. If you really want to be precise the past tense in use is the perfect tense. It could have been the imperfect, "he was being an idiot, wasn't he?" or the pluperfect, "he had been an idiot, hadn't he?".

Last edited:
Soldato
It doesn't work if the door has too much weight in, such as being recently filled with milk, or if it is open beyond the balance point which is usually around 30º.
But more importantly, why does an environment have to be designed to cater for, pander to and encourage the behaviour of a few people being lazy, careless and inconsiderate? You should raise them up to your level, not drag everything else down to their lowest common denominator.

The advantage is that, if it doesn't go over the balance point, the door very obviously swings wide open again quickly, so it is less likely to remain slightly open and unnoticed. In my experience idiots have inertia to positive behavioural change. I wouldn't waste my energy.

Soldato
People that claim they cant be bothered with commas and such like will be in for a surprise if they ever have to “Help their uncle, jack off a horse”. Or should that be “Help their uncle Jack, off a horse”

It’s not always how it’s spelt.

Associate
So what are your skills then? Loads of jobs out there if you know the right people ;)

I know exactly ZERO people.

dId you really mean ineligible? It means unable to be considered for something, you may have been going for unintelligible.
Who tf is Limmy? Scratch that, I Googled him, but I’ve no idea what he sounds like.

Thanks, I've always used ineligible wrong. Another vocabulary flaw fixed. Not that it matters.

Last edited:
Soldato
You've been offered help by two people on here Ballistix. You need to want to help yourself first though. Many of us have been there, I know lots of people still in that hole but also plenty who have come out of one and are finding out that life isn't so bad as the media want you to think. ;)

Happy to take this out of the thread if you want just use the trust feature and send me a PM.

Associate
You've been offered help by two people on here Ballistix. You need to want to help yourself first though. Many of us have been there, I know lots of people still in that hole but also plenty who have come out of one and are finding out that life isn't so bad as the media want you to think. ;)

Happy to take this out of the thread if you want just use the trust feature and send me a PM.

Excuse me the media?

I am literally living every realization of how crap life is.

5 years of job searching since my last one, cant even be a typist.

I'd assume you are white because the first problem people like me face is name rejection, the second being facial rejection in everything. Then add to that disability rejection, and disability leading to lack of references / experience.

If you know nobody and have only worked **** retail jobs, you cant get anywhere or get a single job once you can non longer physically manage retail work.

Also not going to use the trust feature, I don't want to trade on this site so there's no point.

Soldato
Also not going to use the trust feature, I don't want to trade on this site so there's no point.

Can you stop complaining about your professional circumstances in every thread you enter if you're not even willing to entertain the idea of accepting the help that is repeatedly offered?

Language\literacy matters. I constantly have to re-write communications being sent from my department and it's really frustrating. Not just grammar and spelling, but structure and tone of voice as well. However I can overlook poor communication skills if someone is compensating with a high proficiency in another area (usually technical).

Soldato
Simply saying "be nice" does nothing to address any specific problem. If it did, we'd not have stacks of books thick with all the laws of the country, there'd just be a plaque with those two words.
If it did, we'd not need Black Lives Matter, or any of the other movements that seek to address specific causes.
This thread is about language and effective communication - Telling people stop doing wrong does nothing unless you also tell them what they're doing wrong.
Are you seriously saying you need a book of rules to understand what right and wrong is? Surely for day-to-day life, that thick old book of rules is only relevant when it is being thrown in your face at a court of law?

And BLM is an exact example of the type of communication I was referencing. BLM doesn't say "any rules" in the heading now does it?

Typical boomer sticky plaster over a problem. If you have people leaving the fridge door open, there is a much bigger behavioural/cultural problem at your work. Again, typical boomer behaviour to assume that a (grammatically correct, no less) sign that says shut the fridge door will solve the problem - assuming that the chap or chapess who can't be bothered to close the door will read and respect a note saying as such :D

I stopped at "firstly" because I realised how deep in the money you must be to be arguing that a sign is the way to solve people closing a fridge door and felt a secondly wasn't required :D

Associate
Can you stop complaining about your professional circumstances in every thread you enter if you're not even willing to entertain the idea of accepting the help that is repeatedly offered?

Language\literacy matters. I constantly have to re-write communications being sent from my department and it's really frustrating. Not just grammar and spelling, but structure and tone of voice as well. I can overlook poor communication skills if someone is compensating with a high proficiency in another area (usually technical).

Sorry, I thought grammar and such was meant to be a part of getting a job.

If as you say it matters so much, how come most of your department can't write then?

Has anyone ever been sacked for having poor literacy? Is it even a requirement for any job?

I'm literally offering you a chance. I don't care about your name or race. Your disability shouldn't be a problem.

A chance at what exactly? I already tried applying for a £5000 creative grant, my production quality was still too poor. Slowly working on improving it, but its currently too hot to continue. Nothing I have is in a demoable state yet, I was trying to get funding to afford to use a studio and get training. No one will train me for free in anything, already spent years looking for free training.

Soldato
Sorry, I thought grammar and such was meant to be a part of getting a job.

If as you say it matters so much, how come most of your department can't write then?

Has anyone ever been sacked for having poor literacy? Is it even a requirement for any job?

It is part of getting a job, yes. I also said that language\literacy matters, not that communication skills were the #1 priority for me when hiring staff. Give me two candidates who are very similar barring one has a much clearer, coherent CV and I'll take the candidate with the mroe effectively written CV. But if my choice is someone with 10 years SQL experience, or an author, I'm selecting the SQL developer.

I also didn't say that most of my department can't write. But some formal communications they want to issue don't reach a standard I find acceptable, so I re-write them.

Soldato
What if you can speak perfect English but you sound like Limmy? I've watched his videos for years and still can't understand a word.

great example
you illustrated one of the reasons to leave or put known typos in non-professional messages it then distinguishes people who really know English culture/language,
an elitist club, from the whoosh responses you know/confirm the age/education/culture of the reader, or, maybe they spoofed you

Back
Top Bottom