The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

Theres no way that at the end of 2011 they would release a game based on the same engine as Oblivion!

I think there is a semantics issue here... heavily updated or not, it is the same engine. Oblivion used the same (heavily updated) engine as Morrowind. So to say there is no way they would release a game based on the same engine 5 years later has already been disproved as a nonsense.

An upgraded version though apparently.

Yeah so Ive read. Should be interesting to see what theyve done to it...

"Howard wouldn't be drawn on many details about the game, but said the technology was derived from the engine that powered Fallout 3, albeit with significant modifications.

"Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that," he said."

I think there is a semantics issue here... heavily updated or not, it is the same engine. Oblivion used the same (heavily updated) engine as Morrowind. So to say there is no way they would release a game based on the same engine 5 years later has already been disproved as a nonsense.

Hopefully it is heavily updated again. Oblivion looked incredible when it came out.

According to wiki, the engine now supports DX11, so hopefully it will have some of those features incorporated.

This is what I meant by 'same engine'. I guess techincally I meant it wont look the same as Oblivion.

I doubt they are going to use the same engine. It looks very very dated now.

However I can imagine Oblivion using the same engine as the Stone Giant benchmark...

Even Metro 2033 engine

well zenith have said future games will be made with id 4/5 (the one rage is being made on) as that's not finished yet it will be the same old civ 4 engine.

Loved oblivion but still hope the engine is a lot better but with the same amount of customization ability for the modding comunitys.

11 . 11 . 11 Is a freeking long time and its been years since oblivion so hopefully they would have made a new engine in that time

You know that Half-Life was built upon the original Quake engine.....

To be honest sometimes these so-called engine 'modifications' are so extensive that they are akin to re-writing the whole thing....

ooooo i can't wait i loved oblivion so much and all the fo games, i used to mod the absolute crap out of them untill they were no longer the same game anymore but more like a mosh pit :)

Doesn't look that interesting. Hardly any scope for different landscapes as it's all cold and snowy. :D

da5d856f7b2985f9adc0687b71195874.jpg

Obviously they must have a plan.

Doesn't look that interesting. Hardly any scope for different landscapes as it's all cold and snowy. :D

Obviously they must have a plan.

I don't mean just the landscape, though the cold and snow will dominate it, I'm sure (hope) that it will be a bit more varied, plenty of ideas to draw from the Scandinavian countries and so on. Even if it just mostly is snowy hills, snowy forest, snowy wasteland and snowy coastland, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Fallout 3 only really had two types of area wasteland and city and it was far more fun to roam around in than Cyrodill and Morrowind which was fantastic to explore really only had 4 types of terrain, grassy, swamp, grey hills and grey ashland.

I meant more in terms of interesting characters & towns and better use of the land. While Oblivion did have a bit of variety in terms of landscape round the edges of the map (it actually wasn't just boring forests everywhere, who knew? :eek:), they by and large didn't do anything with them. The caves and ruins scattered about the place were boring with 99% of them being pointless to explore unless you had a specific quest linked to them.

The towns despite having their own architectural style and history/importance if you really looked for it, were incredibly generic in terms of how you used them and they held hardly any personality. Same goes for the NPCs aside from some main quest centric people and maybe a few Dark Brotherhood from the dark brotherhood and that hungover blacksmith in Skingrad I can't remember the names (or even personalities) of any of the NPCs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom