The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

It's a console game so it's not going to be much / any more advanced than Fallout 3.

Quoted for truth. In all honesty It will probably look like Oblivion for the console users then have some DX11 shaders bolted on somewhere to make shadows or water look slightly better for PC users.

But I hope it doesn't :p

Last edited:
Borat voice: "Very Niiice" :D

borat_cannes_2.jpg

Last edited:
Not too confident tbh, loved the heck out of number three, but you'd be kidding yourself if you thought they'd follow that formula for the fifth game.

What would worry people more i guess, is all the modding you could do to oblivion to make it much more than it was, won't be available with the advent of all things dlc/costing.

Most people seem to be speculating on the webs that the "New Engine" spiel is a bit naughty. To say its completely new could just a matter of opinion/marketing.

We must take note that one of the first thing that filled the forums after the ESV announcement were people saying "I hope they use a different engine", so it would be fair to guesstimate Bethesda may have reacted to this.

It definitely wont be IDtech5 though. Too short a timeframe unfortunately. Future games though guaranteed.

Fallout 4 maybe *crosses fingers*

The graphics in the gamebryo engine isn't what the problem is though. :confused:

The vast majority of the bugs and glitches you see in these games have nothing to do with the engine. They come from the fact these games are so complicated, it's virtually impossible to test every little thing.

Civ4, zoo tycoon and Pirates! use the same engine. They're not as buggy because they're not as complicated as games like fo3 or oblivion.

If oblivion had been made in the source engine, all the scripting and AI glitches would still be there, because these games are a lot more complicated than running down corridors shooting stuff, watching the occasional set piece and killing a giant baby at the end.

It definitely wont be IDtech5 though. Too short a timeframe unfortunately. Future games though guaranteed.

I'd disagree. Most of production time is spent building an engine. Beth could have been working using the iD Tech 5 engine to create the game world whilst their artists added the rest. Given the lack of activity (aside from RAGE) within iD its also possible that some of their coders, artists, etc may have helped get things running quickly. Until I see otherwise I'm not ruling it out.

Back
Top Bottom