The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - MODS & TWEAKS

Soldato
Hi guys,

I notice the first thing is don't install the high res texture pack from Beth and I also notice that I get a stutter ever 1 - 2 seconds with it on a 7950 x2 setup which should be more than enough for it.

So as someone who doesn't really want to go hunting for a bunch of texture packs and faffing about very much as I just really want to get through the game but have it look super nice, would anyone mind just suggesting 1 or 2 that should cover most of the textures?

If you install the Beth Res Texture pack, also install this one: Unofficial High Resolution Patch and as for more texture mods, the following are all fromt he main post:

#8 - Visual/Texture Mods

These are what most people will be looking for & at this stage you should have a very good stage for placing these mods onto.
Ensure your game is running stable & the mods installed before are working as they should, a good 10-30 minute test will ensure the game is running OK.

Visual Mods to install:

These are the main bulk of mods, will be adding to the list with others for armour/weapons.

These are the texture mods I am using myself:

I also readded Climates of Tamriel, which I had unticked for some strange reason.
If you scroll up to post 6313, then you can see in the spoiler how it looks for me using the above mods, if that would be of any help. =)

Then again, using a ENB mod would most likely make it look even better, myself not tried many yet so still sticking with normal mods (so to speak), but someone better versed about ENB mods might be along later and fill you in about them. There is bit information about them towards the bottom of the OP if you curious. :)

Associate
I'd be trying to get rid of the stutter before adding mods as something isn't right. It shouldn't be happening as described. Have a scan through the OP, and try adding the frame clamp setting to the ini file amongst other fixes. Once that's resolved then add maybe just Skyrim HD, perhaps even just the 1K options if you're not going heavily into tweaking by adding memory patches and enboost. Hopefully that'll give you an image eye candy boost but not risk stability. All depends how far you're willing to take things. But if you're not going to put the time in, then my personal advice would be keep the mods light and few by choosing those with maximum impact.

I'm running 120+ mods at the moment but it took a lot of time testing to choose and learn about what should or shouldn't be in my build.

Anyway I'll stop rambling - my Cabernet Sauvignon is hitting my blood stream rather nicely :)

EDIT: @Swede seriously mate, give Pure Weather a go if and when you fancy a change from CoT. It may lack in weather diversity, but the weathers it has got are excellent and its nights are far, far superior. It also doesn't need tons of compatibility patches. Both are great don't get me wrong, but having tried both, I wont be returning to CoT and thats simply because the nights are so vastly better done in Pure Weather.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know if there's been an update to Skyrim in the last year or so? Or does NMM automatically update listed mods?

I ask because I recently booted up Skyrim after not playing it for ages and nearly all the textures have disappeared. When I left the game last it was completely stable and ran flawlessly. Now when I load an old save, the game lags like hell and about 50% of textures are missing. I tried a new game and all I see is a pair of eyeballs staring back at me on a blue background :D

I'm thinking either the game has updated, the mods have updated or my computer has done an auto-defrag of that drive and messed everything up or something :confused:

It's a shame because I spent hours and hours getting it modded and running just the way I liked it.

Soldato
Hi eggyoke, sorry to hear about your problem. :( .. Not using the NMM myself so can't really help you there, but what I know no updates been done to Skyrim since 2013. I have seen that the NMM has been updated though, but can't see how that should impact on your old game modding.

I take it you have updated the NMM to Version 0.53.7 ??

Soldato
Hi eggyoke, sorry to hear about your problem. :( .. Not using the NMM myself so can't really help you there, but what I know no updates been done to Skyrim since 2013. I have seen that the NMM has been updated though, but can't see how that should impact on your old game modding.

I take it you have updated the NMM to Version 0.53.7 ??
Yeah it's the latest version. I've not changed any hardware either so it's just really weird the way it's completely messed up. I started a character (despite only seeing a pair of eyeballs :D) and I think it's something to do with light sources in game not being generated properly because each time I would look up toward a candle or flame, the whole screen would disappear, and when I load a game outside the whole thing is completely messed up i.e artefacts, flickering, black and white lines everywhere etc.

At first I thought my GPU might be failing but I'm not seeing any unusual temperatures and I've played numerous demanding games lately and never had a problem so... :confused:

I think I just need to re-mod the whole thing if I want to start playing again.

Associate
Can I suggest a mod to be added to the OP... Animated Clutter.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48287/?

It basically shows an animation when you open a chest, barrel, thief cache and a lot more. It's really nice for realism/immersion and I use it every time I play. I think it's incompatible with the majority of parallax maps though, so that's something to bear in mind.

According to the comments it has a minor conflict with SMIM which is worth noting. Have you tried the mod for animated Dwemer lifts? Pretty cool.

Soldato
Does anyone know if there's been an update to Skyrim in the last year or so? Or does NMM automatically update listed mods?

No and no, there is an update to Creation Kit to allow mods larger than 1mb to Steam Workshop but thats in beta only.

I found the same thing too installs not working after a time, not sure why it happens.

Associate
Cheers for that. It's the little things that make this game even more beautiful and immersive.

Thanks for the animated clutter one - I didn't realise it comes with a detailed selection installer, which allows you to pick and choose. Which is great as I simply deselected barrels and strongboxes etc which are already animated for me.

Associate
Using an alternative to the mostly great Convenient Horses:
Horse Commands
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/15225/?

So far I really like it. Charge damage is a bit high, but otherwise a lighter alternative to Convenient Horses. Whilst I loved Convenient Horses I did have a couple of strange bugs surface with it in the 40 odd hours I used it for. Sometimes bound keys would stop working so I'd be forced into multi tapping. But I also had some strangeness at times with the looting.

Minor points in general, but as its quite script intensive, a lighter alternative is always a good option to have. I like the fact that you actually have to buy additional horses for your followers with this one too.

Associate
Im confused by this message:

26244g5.png

Anyone knows what do I need to do? At the moment its only Skyrim with unofficial patches.

EDIT: the only thing I have in Overwrite folder are TES5Edit backups

EDIT2: I moved them to a backup folder. Im assuming that its ok?

Thank you

Last edited:
Soldato
Im confused by this message:

26244g5.png

Anyone knows what do I need to do? At the moment its only Skyrim with unofficial patches.

EDIT: the only thing I have in Overwrite folder are TES5Edit backups

EDIT2: I moved them to a backup folder. Im assuming that its ok?

Thank you

Hi morbidflorist,

Yes, anything that ends up in Overwrite should be moved away, so you done right there.

Not sure if you done it but if you haven't, take the time to look through Gopher's Mod Organizer Turtorial, which will explain everything about Mod Organizer and TES5Edit and other useful things to do with MO. I am aware it would take some time to look through all parts but for me it was a godsend or I'm not sure I would been able to continue modding the game.

Have fun playing Skyrim and any more questions, just ask. :)

Back
Top Bottom