The Emirates FA Cup 3rd Round ** Spoilers ** [4th - 8th January 2024]

fez

fez

Caporegime
His “intent” was to trap the ball, which he did.

He trapped the ball by sliding in with a straight leg with his studs showing at mid-shin height. Thats not how you trap the ball. It was a dangerous tackle and the fact he got away with it was luck. You can't have players going in like that on the proviso that they don't snap someones leg.

Soldato
Soldato
Very unlikely to happen, but Howe could be done for if he loses to Sunderland.

It's funny how their little old rivals are now arguably their biggest game of the season.
Keep telling yourself that lad, you may end up believing it.

Sunderland haven’t only given Newcastle the whole stand and corporate section, displacing season ticket holders who have stuck by them through the last few years mismanagement debacle but have laid out the red carpet for them although now wisely had a change of mind. Could you see this happening anywhere else for anyone else?

Caporegime
Keep telling yourself that lad, you may end up believing it.

Sunderland haven’t only given Newcastle the whole stand and corporate section, displacing season ticket holders who have stuck by them through the last few years mismanagement debacle but have laid out the red carpet for them although now wisely had a change of mind. Could you see this happening anywhere else for anyone else?

Telling myself what? The FA cup is your only remaining chance at silverware this season is it not? Did you also miss the bit where I said it’s very unlikely you lose.

I’ve also already commented about this in the football banter thread. Do keep up.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
What do you think of the yellow card for this challenge (video in link): https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...ard-for-tackle-on-tottenhams-dejan-kulusevski

I think its a completely different situation. Dunk had the ball, tried to clear it and his standing leg slipped and caused the follow through to catch Kulusevski. It was nasty but it was just bad luck and unintentional. Basically nothing like the Calvert Lewin red where he chooses to fly in to compete for a ball with his studs showing and a straight leg.

My question to you...what would your view on the CL red be if he had made even slightly more contact. Literally an inch more towards the other player would have had him impacting the shin hard.

Soldato
My question to you...what would your view on the CL red be if he had made even slightly more contact. Literally an inch more towards the other player would have had him impacting the shin hard.
I think we should agree to disagree. I think we should punish what has actually happened not what “might have” happened.

Don
I think we should agree to disagree. I think we should punish what has actually happened not what “might have” happened.
Tbf the rules do allow for punishing what might happen if a player tackles in a particular way that endangers an opponent. I don't see how DCL did though. Fair enough had he left the ground and launched himself towards the opponent then he'd deserve a red card regardless of whether he's made serious contact with the opponent or not but he didn't. Everyone's focusing on the fact his foot is off the ground and studs are showing but ignoring that there's no force in the challenge. All his body weight is grounded and there's no force behind the challenge. If that's serious foul play then every time a player raises his foot for a high ball it should be a red too.

I mentioned it some weeks back when there was a discussion around the number of red cards we've seen this season, VAR are spending too much time looking for reasons why something might be a red rather than looking at a challenge for what it is. If you spend 2 minutes focusing on a super slow motion replay of the point of contact you're going to end up convincing yourself that the challenge was dangerous but when you watch that challenge in its entirety, at full speed then there's no way you can say it meets the criteria for serious foul play.

Soldato
Telling myself what? The FA cup is your only remaining chance at silverware this season is it not? Did you also miss the bit where I said it’s very unlikely you lose.

I’ve also already commented about this in the football banter thread. Do keep up.
Telling yourself Howe has a chance of the sack if Newcastle lose this game and that it’s the biggest of the season. The game has a huge importance but whatever the result it’s not going to be the defining moment in the season. It’s being trumped up to being huge by the actions of SAFC using it as a platform to make some money. There’s nothing wrong with that as such but we are regularly knocked out by non PL teams, Sunderland are 20 places below us and we have haven’t beaten them for over a decade. It’s not exactly Manchester United V Newton Heath is it?

Caporegime
Telling yourself Howe has a chance of the sack if Newcastle lose this game and that it’s the biggest of the season. The game has a huge importance but whatever the result it’s not going to be the defining moment in the season. It’s being trumped up to being huge by the actions of SAFC using it as a platform to make some money. There’s nothing wrong with that as such but we are regularly knocked out by non PL teams, Sunderland are 20 places below us and we have haven’t beaten them for over a decade. It’s not exactly Manchester United V Newton Heath is it?

Even woppy was saying weeks ago that Howe is under massive pressure if you lose and plenty of other Newcastle fans feel the same way.

Nowhere did I say it’s a defining moment but it’s now the only silverware you have left to play for this season and it’s against your bitter rivals who like you say, you haven’t beaten for years.

The actions of SAFC haven’t trumped it up to being huge. Barely anyone knew about those until what happened yesterday and the press picked up on it. It’s always been one of the biggest derbies in the country and when the fixtures were announced, lots of football fans who don’t support either club were looking forward to it.

If it’s not the biggest game you’ve got left this season, it’s one of them. The only thing that’s going to top it would be a league game toward the end of the season that guarantees you a position in Europe.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know why people are shocked that its a red card. If that made proper contact with the player its a very very nasty tackle and they are punishing based on intent as well as outcome now. There is a certain wisdom do de-incentivising that sort of tackle because if he connects that could be a horrible injury. The fact he didn't was luck more than judgement I would say.
No it's not, he's barely moving. Even if he's made full contact there wasn't much risk there.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Fair enough had he left the ground and launched himself towards the opponent then he'd deserve a red card regardless of whether he's made serious contact with the opponent or not but he didn't. Everyone's focusing on the fact his foot is off the ground and studs are showing but ignoring that there's no force in the challenge.

I don't understand this argument. You can have a lot of force behind you even though you are grounded. If a large amount of force wasn't directed forwards then he wouldn't slide along the ground very far. You can have far more force in a tackle and be grounded vs in the air and vice versa. Its a general rule that being off your feet is worse but its not an absolute.

Do the people saying it shouldn't have been a red think it wouldn't have been a really nasty one if he connected properly with the other player? I assume thats what the punishment is for. The what if.

Don
I don't understand this argument. You can have a lot of force behind you even though you are grounded. If a large amount of force wasn't directed forwards then he wouldn't slide along the ground very far. You can have far more force in a tackle and be grounded vs in the air and vice versa. Its a general rule that being off your feet is worse but its not an absolute.

Do the people saying it shouldn't have been a red think it wouldn't have been a really nasty one if he connected properly with the other player? I assume thats what the punishment is for. The what if.
I'm not sure I've disputed the first paragraph in any way. Yes, you can challenge with a lot of force even if you're grounded, if you are traveling at pace. DCL wasn't though :confused:

There was minimal force in the challenge and the likelihood of that challenge resulting in an injury is next to none which is why, regardless of whether clear contact was made with the opposition player, I fail to see how it met the criteria of serious foul play. It was a nothing tackle that's been over analysed and by looking at slow motion replays of the point of contact you lose the fact that no force was in the challenge.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Think we will have to agree to disagree. I think that if he makes proper contact with his studs up like that and a straight leg that a nasty tackle and potentially an injury.

Back
Top Bottom