The EMTB (Electric Mountain Bike) Discussion Thread...

Caporegime
OP
Can anyone recommend insurance on Giant electric - MTB it's my sons and he's 16 but everywhere I look when entering age they all start at 2002 (18yrs) ?

Thanks
You will probably have to call them to see if they can tailor a quote. Just use an insurance price engine and get some numbers of the well-rated ones.

Caporegime
Congrats.
You're going to love it.

A little tip though.

DON'T have a ride on anyones high powered ebikes for a fair while.
Because once you do.......

--------> Wallet Contents <------------
--------> Whoooooooooooooooooooooosh ---------------------------------------------->

I've just reinstalled my 72v after getting the new display and "Oh my Gawd", Nice to be back !!

Yeah was like going to an s2000 from a daily driver, once you've tasted it, you can't get rid of the lust! :D

Caporegime
OP
So guys, anyone else bought an EMTB or even a regular Ebike in the last months? Or just been enjoying the one they already have? :)

My Cube Stereo Hybrid Action Team 140 625 is proving such a great thing to have... it's really given me the freedom I need to enjoy mountain biking in challenging terrain, which during COVID social distancing time has been a blessing. The great thing about having an Ebike is that you can use just as much power as you need... I often ride without any assistance (which is a workout on a 25KG bike!) and then switch it on when I get tired, with the assistance level depending on how steep the terrain is. It's been funny seeing some of my friends who initially gave me the usual "muh that's cheating" spiel who are now seriously looking at and considering one as they have now seen and experienced how useful they really are in really exploring the mountains without having to get off a bike and walk on long and steep inclines. It's also good for maintaining a safe and steady pace on roads at the end of a ride home, even against headwinds. It's just generally more fun. :D

What has also surprised me is how long the range is... the other day I went for a 40km ride on mostly flat or mildly hilly terrain and only used a piddling 12% battery, thanks to either using no motor or when I did use motor it was in "Eco" mode. Even when I do a ride on challenging terrain with lots of inclines I can still get over 70km when I make careful use of the various modes. I have tubeless tyres so there's a bit more maintenance involved in keeping the fluid topped up but so far they seem to run really well and in general I have a lot of confidence in the bike even in wet or muddy conditions. Speaking of which, even though it's 25KG the bike is very nice to handle, with the only weakness seeming to be at high speed on tight turns due to the 29er wheels.

I'm not worried about theft as it's always locked up in my cellar and I carry around a big ABUS U-lock in my backpack. There is theft where I live, but not as prolific as other countries and also I mostly leave the bike in more out of the way areas that require effort to get to where you would not really encounter so many bike thieves.

Speaking of backpack, I use the FR TRAIL E-RIDE 20 and it is really , really nice https://www.evocsports.com/FR-TRAIL-E-RIDE-20/100114607-M-L

I also bought some lightly padded protective gear for my legs, arms and shoulders just in case.

I still have my acoustic MTB but I now only use it for bombing around town and on shopping trips... for serious rides my EMTB is the daddy now. :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nice... which conversion kit did you use? Once converted, can you also take off the battery and just ride it like a normal bike? :)

Cyclotricity but they are standard parts sold by Yose Power and others.
Yes I can remove the battery and ride them normal but sometimes I turn the battery off anyway for exercise, plenty of exercise riding a heavy eBike with no power.
Earlier this year I changed both my batteries to a 'Dolphin' type that I can remove and both bikes are interchangeable with parts.

That would cost £186 - https://yosepower.com/collections/e...n-kit/products/36v-250w-26-28-front-motor-kit

A battery the same price - https://yosepower.com/collections/ebike-battery/products/36v15ah-48v12-5ah-down-tube-battery

So all together a decent converted eBike (I had both off Gumtree) for £372 for a conversion kit.
After a couple of incidents I like to stay within the law so no faster than 15.5mph unless I'm doing it.

Associate
So guys, anyone else bought an EMTB or even a regular Ebike in the last months? Or just been enjoying the one they already have? :)
Yup, still loving the Turbo Levo. It's been almost 12 months now and zero problems :)
I've swapped a few parts including hope pedal arms, carbon rims and handlebars, but really happy with it.
Thinking about swapping to shimano gears next for hyperglide.. and I keep finding myself looking at new suspension lol :rolleyes:

I've been riding a bit less recently though after having a small OTB and realising I don't want to put any more strain on the NHS right now, so I've mostly just been using it to commute while my wrist heals and will try to stop being so aggressive offroad lol

Caporegime
OP
Cyclotricity but they are standard parts sold by Yose Power and others.
Yes I can remove the battery and ride them normal but sometimes I turn the battery off anyway for exercise, plenty of exercise riding a heavy eBike with no power.
Earlier this year I changed both my batteries to a 'Dolphin' type that I can remove and both bikes are interchangeable with parts.

That would cost £186 - https://yosepower.com/collections/e...n-kit/products/36v-250w-26-28-front-motor-kit

A battery the same price - https://yosepower.com/collections/ebike-battery/products/36v15ah-48v12-5ah-down-tube-battery

So all together a decent converted eBike (I had both off Gumtree) for £372 for a conversion kit.
After a couple of incidents I like to stay within the law so no faster than 15.5mph unless I'm doing it.
Thanks man looks interesting... I may convert my acoustic at some point!

Yup, still loving the Turbo Levo. It's been almost 12 months now and zero problems :)
I've swapped a few parts including hope pedal arms, carbon rims and handlebars, but really happy with it.
Thinking about swapping to shimano gears next for hyperglide.. and I keep finding myself looking at new suspension lol :rolleyes:

I've been riding a bit less recently though after having a small OTB and realising I don't want to put any more strain on the NHS right now, so I've mostly just been using it to commute while my wrist heals and will try to stop being so aggressive offroad lol
Ahh crap... how did you come off, were you hooning it? :D

Associate
lol, just a silly mistake not paying proper attention and I wasn't even going fast. Front wheel went left into a little dip and I carried on, otb. Doh!
no serious injuries, just a sore wrist, hip and a bruised ego :p

Caporegime
OP
lol, just a silly mistake not paying proper attention and I wasn't even going fast. Front wheel went left into a little dip and I carried on, otb. Doh!
no serious injuries, just a sore wrist, hip and a bruised ego :p

As long as the bike wasn't damaged, that's the most important thing! :D
Oh, I completely agree, lol. First thing I did after pulling myself up was check the bike, then me. Luckily she was ok, phew.
Randommemberofpublic: why are your lips clamped to your bike frame while you make strange puffing noises?

Pyr0m@nI@]{: I'm performing CPR on her you idiot!

Soldato
How are you guys finding chain wear on the electric bikes?

Had a few through the shop with worn chains in around 400 miles which on higher end models can be an expensive business.

Sold a Cube Stereo 140 HPC SLT at £7500 and it has the top end Sram gears so £90 a chain and hundreds on cassettes.

Also just ordered a 160 SLT 18" at £7799 if anyone wants it :eek:

Associate
I went through my first chain and cassette in about 500 miles or so. It was slipping under power in the highest gears.
I put it down to me getting used to the extra power of the motor and remembering to leave a slightly longer period between stopping pedalling and shifting gears.
When I first got the bike there were a few times I crunched or clanged them because the motor was still going briefly after I stopped pedalling.
After I fitted the new cassette, I started rotating 2 chains every couple of weeks, cleaning one and then soaking in some wax.
I'm also trying to spin more at a slightly higher cadence, in lower gears, rather then just grind and power up hills etc.
Hopefully this will help with the longevity of my drivetrain.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
How are you guys finding chain wear on the electric bikes?

Had a few through the shop with worn chains in around 400 miles which on higher end models can be an expensive business.

Sold a Cube Stereo 140 HPC SLT at £7500 and it has the top end Sram gears so £90 a chain and hundreds on cassettes.

Also just ordered a 160 SLT 18" at £7799 if anyone wants it :eek:

I've done 1000km or so and no problems so far that were not caused by the shop in the first place they did a bad initial setup). It's full Shimano though so parts are generally more available and cheaper.

I went through my first chain and cassette in about 500 miles or so. It was slipping under power in the highest gears.
I put it down to me getting used to the extra power of the motor and remembering to leave a slightly longer period between stopping pedalling and shifting gears.
When I first got the bike there were a few times I crunched or clanged them because the motor was still going briefly after I stopped pedalling.
After I fitted the new cassette, I started rotating 2 chains every couple of weeks, cleaning one and then soaking in some wax.
I'm also trying to spin more at a slightly higher cadence, in lower gears, rather then just grind and power up hills etc.
Hopefully this will help with the longevity of my drivetrain.

Eek dude that really doesn't sound normal? Mine just runs smooth as hell.

Associate
I've done 1000km or so and no problems so far that were not caused by the shop in the first place they did a bad initial setup). It's full Shimano though so parts are generally more available and cheaper.

Eek dude that really doesn't sound normal? Mine just runs smooth as hell.
Is that a Shimano 12 speed setup?
Tbh I did wonder if my SRAM was setup correctly as it sometimes wouldn't select gears quickly up as well as down, I was constantly making adjustments at the shifter.
When I swapped the cassette for another of the same type (xg 1175) and chain I had to make adjustments to the limit screws and b gap and it does shift a bit better since I fitted the new parts.

I'm seriously tempted to swap it for a Shimano drivetrain next time for the smoother shifting of hyperglide+ but also the ability to change the smallest cogs on the cassette instead of the whole thing.

Caporegime
OP
Is that a Shimano 12 speed setup?
Tbh I did wonder if mine was setup correctly as it sometimes wouldn't select gears cleanly up as well as down, I was constantly making adjustments at the shifter.
When I swapped the cassette for another of the same type (xg 1175) I had to make adjustments to the limit screws and b gap and it does shift a bit better since I fitted the new parts.

I'm seriously tempted to swap it for a Shimano drivetrain next time for the smoother shifting of hyperglide+ but also the ability to change the smallest cogs on the cassette instead of the whole thing.
Basically when mine was set up the cassette wasn't fitted properly so I had a nightmare on my first ride. Then when I took it back they basically did a bodge job and it still wasn't right. Then I took it for a third time and a different guy looked at it and put it all together as it should have been and now it's hunky dory. There was certainly something wrong with yours if you or were experiencing issues like that as it sounds like the lack of alignment was causing undue wear.

And yeah it's Shimano XT 12-speed with XT brakes and an SLX cassette. So much easier for servicing where I live as even bike shops in the middle of nowhere stock Shimano.

Soldato
Shimano feels better than Sram imo but any of them are really reliant on b screw adjustment.

Sram comes with a tool to line the cage up with the biggest cog to make shifting perfect.

Back
Top Bottom