The EMTB (Electric Mountain Bike) Discussion Thread...

The general rule with cassettes is that the more teeth you are using the better as the load is spread. The high torque and power that ebikes deploy just makes this even worse. I think looking at Shimano cues for ebikes might be the sensible call. I don't know what the concensus is on 11 vs 12 speed when it comes to durability but with chains getting thinner with every gear they add you are inevitably losing durability each time.

It would be interesting to know how differently people on ebikes ride vs normal riders. I can put out a fair bit of power on my road bike but thats almost always moving through the gears so that I am kind to my legs on the way there. On an ebike thats not really a concern. You don't need to "soft start" so you can just send 400w through a small cog from cold.

How are you guys finding chain wear on the electric bikes?
Depends on what chain your using.

on my Sram bike with a GX chain I got about 400miles before the stretch was too much.
I switched to the more expensive x01/xx1 whatever it is and they last till about 1000miles
Sram comes with a tool to line the cage up with the biggest cog to make shifting perfect.
I reindexed mine fine by sight and sound, the tool probably just makes is simpler to see where the sweet spot is.

I don't know what the concensus is on 11 vs 12 speed when it comes to durability
for 11 speed you change chain at 0.75? for 12 speed its 0.5

so I guess your already doing less milage from the get go.

The thing is who needs 12 speed? especially on an EMTB...

I need to change my cassette etc the next time I change my chain anyway, I don't even bother changing gear anymore.... seems like the only point of changing gear is to make the drive train last longer when you have fat torque

an ebike really only need likes 6speed in reality.

one gear for uphill, and another that maxes out at about 16mph which is about where the motors cut out anyway

Last edited:

The thing is who needs 12 speed? especially on an EMTB...

I need to change my cassette etc the next time I change my chain anyway, I don't even bother changing gear anymore.... seems like the only point of changing gear is to make the drive train last longer when you have fat torque

an ebike really only need likes 6speed in reality.

one gear for uphill, and another that maxes out at about 16mph which is about where the motors cut out anyway
i have used all mine, i've gotta say, so not sure i agree

My 12 year old Transition Bandit was starting to show its age 26" wheels and hope brakes that had been on a couple of bikes before it.

Tried a mates ebike and was surprised and impressed.

I can now cycle all the way to my local trails. Do a circuit or 2 and then cycle home. No need for the car.

I went for one in a local shop that was last years model and a half decent spec but a big discount. Main negatives from my research is Haibike/Raleigh and warranty so we shall see.

embed

My 12 year old Transition Bandit was starting to show its age 26" wheels and hope brakes that had been on a couple of bikes before it.

Tried a mates ebike and was surprised and impressed.

I can now cycle all the way to my local trails. Do a circuit or 2 and then cycle home. No need for the car.

I went for one in a local shop that was last years model and a half decent spec but a big discount. Main negatives from my research is Haibike/Raleigh and warranty so we shall see.

Looks awesome!

Being able to cycle to my little local trail gas been a game changer for me. 15 minute pedal, where as before I wouldn't even have went as I would've used the car. It's great for a post work blast. Now riding my bike on some proper good trails 2-3x a week rather than just at weekends :D

Ebikes are the future of mountain biking.

New Bosch flow app allows adding Auto or eco+ without needing to visit a dealer

Eco+ is some weird mode

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom