• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The end of my 2500k :(

Soldato
PC enthusiasts represent a rather small part of the total demand for ddr4 which is being driven a lot by mobile phone sales. So a drop in consumer computer upgrades due to high memory prices is unlikely, on its own, to have much of an effect on global pricing for DDR4
What I mean is for other manufactures that make phones have to buy in DDR4, which then means the cost is transferred onto the buyer of said phone.

Soldato
So I've had my 2500k for about 6 years and it' been great. A few months ago I was lacking a bit of umph so I went to a 4.8 overclock. Fully stress tested it and no bsod issues. The Last week or so I have been getting random bsods. I rempved the overclock bacl to default but it continued. Had one when I was clutching a win in pubg. Not ideal. And today is when it all went down the pan. I was demoing some rift games to the fam and just kept getting bsod aftr bsod which eventually resulted in a bsod loop. I'e managed to get it to boot by keeping the clock speed at the base speed but giving it a bit more voltage. But it still bsods after about a hour of prime95. I'v run the ram test and that came back fine. I guess it' time to upgrade. Hope there is a tempting boxing day sale for me !! 8700k yes please :)
I very much doubt your 2500k is borked, more likely the motherboard is broken so a replacement shouldn't be to bad.

Also why buy a 8700k when you can get a Ryzen 6 for a fraction of the money?

Soldato
8700K is a great deal at it's current price of £350. Faster than the 1800X at everything as far as I know. Only snag is the socket does not have any longevity, whereas a lower end Ryzen could be replaced later on, with the same chipset. So I guess a cheaper Ryzen now and replace later on could make sense.

Personally though, if I was buying now I would go with 8700K. Great deal at £350.

Caporegime
I still have a 2500k. Clocked to 4.4ghz. any higher and you risked them dieing early.

Mine also runs at 100% 24/7 so it's fully stable. The rig it's in doesn't owe me anything. If it does I'll scavenge what I can and bin the psu, cpu and motherboard most likely as well as the case.

I think I may have lapped mine iirc. Nowadays I don't bother with any of that stuff or even overclocking.

Permabanned
I still have a 2500k. Clocked to 4.4ghz. any higher and you risked them dieing early.
It's not what they are clocked to, it is how much voltage you are using to get there. I have a friend with a 2500k that is still doing 4.8Ghz but he is using 1.35v for that.

Associate
Damn bad luck mate, I've been feeling my 2600k is on borrowed time for a while now, it's still going strong, but i'm preparing myself for a thousand pound spend on a new system at any time really.

Caporegime
It's not what they are clocked to, it is how much voltage you are using to get there. I have a friend with a 2500k that is still doing 4.8Ghz but he is using 1.35v for that.

oh yeah i agree. the thing is most would only clock to 4.3 or 4.4 with low voltage. if you got lucky maybe 4.5. maybe 1 in 10 million would do 4.6 with low volts. after that you had to start upping voltage. you hear of people hitting 5ghz and 5.2 ghz and everyone thinks theirs should do 4.8ghz with ease but that isn't the case.

i'm on 4.4ghz with stock volts. which is why it will last pretty much until the motherboard dies.

Permabanned
oh yeah i agree. the thing is most would only clock to 4.3 or 4.4 with low voltage. if you got lucky maybe 4.5. maybe 1 in 10 million would do 4.6 with low volts. after that you had to start upping voltage. you hear of people hitting 5ghz and 5.2 ghz and everyone thinks theirs should do 4.8ghz with ease but that isn't the case.

i'm on 4.4ghz with stock volts. which is why it will last pretty much until the motherboard dies.
Yes, definitely the case. 4.4Ghz is very good on stock voltage, though you could go up to 1.35v and it will still last as that is still within Intel specs. From what I've seen once you start going above ~1.35v then you start creeping up into degradation territory.

Caporegime
Yes, definitely the case. 4.4Ghz is very good on stock voltage, though you could go up to 1.35v and it will still last as that is still within Intel specs. From what I've seen once you start going above ~1.35v then you start creeping up into degradation territory.

It's been replaced twice already by kabylake and coffee lake. It's now a htpc. So I have no reason to try squeezing more out of it. Plus after 4.4ghz it's minimal gains tbh. I'd rather not risk it for nothing

Soldato
my system crapped out 2 months ago (2500k) after 6 years of faithfull service

went for 8700K + gigabyte aouris gaming ultra ( nice combo)

Permabanned
my system crapped out 2 months ago (2500k) after 6 years of faithfull service

went for 8700K + gigabyte aouris gaming ultra ( nice combo)

i8700 won't last for another 6 years. You know upgrade path is forbidden for you.
Overall, a fix for the moment but highly likely in 2 or 3 years you will start to regret.

Soldato
i8700 won't last for another 6 years. You know upgrade path is forbidden for you.
Overall, a fix for the moment but highly likely in 2 or 3 years you will start to regret.

That's a statement that entirely relies on a person's use case......

I have had at least hex cores in my primary pc from 2011 onwards (starting with a i7 980) and currently have an overclocked octo cored 5960x in my primary system... I also recently picked up a 1800x / crosshair mobo for my secondary system of the back of the aggressive AMD price discounts of late.

The 8700k however is a pretty good chip, especially when overclocked, and it's combination of better IPC and better clocks vs Ryzen makes it a good choice for a contemporary performance pc for gaming and other home use... More so now the price has stabilised with an oem 8700k barely costing any more than 1800x at sale price. The 1800x may put in a good show in something like blender but will be left behind by the 8700k, especially when both are overocked, in most consumer workloads were IPC and clock speed on six cores are more useful then eight slower, lower clocked cores.

A quick look at the mm shows that a few people are unsurprisingly selling up there ryzen setups for 8700k setups which helps demonstrate the current situation and put any 'regret' comments somewhat in context.

Intels current (and past) policies of rather unnecessarily limiting cpu upgrades, especially on their 'consumer' platforms is truly a rather annoying policy but you have to put a ryzen's supposed 'future proofing' in context... AMD themselves have stated that future generations of chips remaining compatible with contemporary motherboards is largely dependant on when new techs like DDR5 and Pci-E 4 are introduced. Ryzen is great platform for those who can currently only afford a Ryzen 3 or 5 with the option to perhaps upgrade to a 2800\3800x (or whatever they call them) or at least a cheap second hand octo cored chip from the 1700/1800 range but for those interested in a high performing platform right now and with some longevity I don't see its likely that a current ryzen 7 setup is likely to outlast a 8700k setup even with a mid life cpu upgrade on the ryzen platform.

The rumours of 5ghz ryzen chips with 12 cores coming out in a few months at the current ryzen price points have of course been found to be hoaxes. More realistically AMD are going to be able to make rather more modest improvements in IPC and clock speed that will still leave AMD somewhat behind intel in the absolute performance stakes but will leave them able to offer a good value for money proposition.

Thanks to the realities of parallel processing (see Amdahls law for example) the optimum core count for for any particular consumer workload is likely to be I the 6-8 core count so AMD can't offer a performance option for consumers by simply strapping more cores on a Ryzen 7 processor

Simply put if your not a frequent upgrader anyway by the time you come round to looking to upgrade either a a Ryzen7 or 8700k setup both ddr5 and pci-e 4 are likely to either be available or be due to launch immenentiely meaning that a person looking to upgrade may be looking at a new motherboard regardless of their platform. Add to this that AMD's upcoming chips will likely only be playing catch up with current Intel chips with regards to clock speed and IPC and its far from obvious that a Ryzen 7 setup is currently preferable to a 8700k setup.

As I was telling people here years ago if you wanted a performance platform with serious longevity them X99 was a great platform which at the time or release debuted with both a solid upgrade path from a reasonably priced enthusiast chip like the 5820k and with modern techs at the time like ddr4 and a plethora or expansion capability for mid life upgrades. Strangely a lot of the people arguing for there 6700k setups at the time are not still on the same motherboards having swapped up once (or maybe twice) to get upgrades on the consumer intel platforms

Last edited:
Soldato
So I've had my 2500k for about 6 years and it' been great. A few months ago I was lacking a bit of umph so I went to a 4.8 overclock. Fully stress tested it and no bsod issues. The Last week or so I have been getting random bsods. I rempved the overclock bacl to default but it continued. Had one when I was clutching a win in pubg. Not ideal. And today is when it all went down the pan. I was demoing some rift games to the fam and just kept getting bsod aftr bsod which eventually resulted in a bsod loop. I'e managed to get it to boot by keeping the clock speed at the base speed but giving it a bit more voltage. But it still bsods after about a hour of prime95. I'v run the ram test and that came back fine. I guess it' time to upgrade. Hope there is a tempting boxing day sale for me !! 8700k yes please :)

If the 2500k was doing you well, what about just getting another 2500k? They're about 50 quid now I believe.

Permabanned
If the 2500k was doing you well, what about just getting another 2500k? They're about 50 quid now I believe.

When people are put in some constraints, they tend to just accept what is possible there and don't demand too much. From there, the feel of "satisfaction" with what they have.
Once people go out of that box with borders, they realise what they had been missing...

Caporegime

what would you currently recommend.if you game and what to game at the best for for coming future you pick a 8700k.its light and day difference even at stock vs highest old i5/i7 ingames.it will be fine for 3 years atleast. people may suggest ryzen but in games even with upgrades they will still be behind the intel 8700k for games. so it may be classed as a dead platform but what does it matter if it is if its still quicker than a more upto date ryzen thats not out yet ?

the funny thing its been this way since early 2000s . so dont expect that to change.

as to Caracus2k the x99 platform has turned out to be a brilliant value platform base. yet it was pretty expensive but even now in games ocd the 5820k still stomps even current ryzens and matches a 8700k ingames.still good for a few years yet clocked.such a good platform. x299 should hold similar value in the long run. people often think of the innitial purchase price as dear.when the more expensive innitial expense can turn out to hold the better performance and value over time.

Back
Top Bottom