• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The end of my 2500k :(

Soldato
my 2500k @ 4.4 is still doing well, but the thoughts of upgrading seem to appear more and more frequently. But, i think that's more due to my old Gigabyte motherboard occasionally has a hissy fit on boot with its dualbios system. For most things/games the 2500k (with a 980ti) has been great to acceptable, so it certainly owes me nothing, for over 6 years of service. Is there any value in a 2nd hand oc'd 2500k with a sometimes flakey mobo? usually i seem to horde and keep my old pc bits, but I'm realising there's no use in keeping all my old parts, especially as I think I still have pre gtx570 era parts, which must be next to worthless these days. Do people freecycle old bits, or is just bin them?
The 2500k is worth about £40 on the MM, the motherboard depending on chipset around £50 if it's working without issue and 2x8GB DDR3 1600mhz/2133mhz is around £25-£30. If it was me I'd consider keeping it as a spare rig, that way if something happens to the new rig you can still game on the old one with a used GPU in it.

Associate
The 2500k is worth about £40 on the MM, the motherboard depending on chipset around £50 if it's working without issue and 2x8GB DDR3 1600mhz/2133mhz is around £25-£30. If it was me I'd consider keeping it as a spare rig, that way if something happens to the new rig you can still game on the old one with a used GPU in it.
I really need to start spamming more posts to be able to get MM access...

Associate
I'm still on my 2500k running at 4.5ghz and now I've started to save up for a new upgrade as I feel that it could die on me any time soon :( .

Its amazing to see how many people that are still on this chip!

Soldato
I'm still on my 2500k running at 4.5ghz and now I've started to save up for a new upgrade as I feel that it could die on me any time soon :( .

Its amazing to see how many people that are still on this chip!
I've had the money sitting for upgrading but don't really feel the point until either Ryzen refresh or Intel 8c/16t mainstream for under £400, I feel like a decently clocked Ryzen or Intel would last me at least 5 years again.

I really need to start spamming more posts to be able to get MM access...

Don't need to spam posts all you need to do is help some people out with issues or just take part in general discussion, you'll be at 1000 posts within a month.

Permabanned
I've had the money sitting for upgrading but don't really feel the point until either Ryzen refresh or Intel 8c/16t mainstream for under £400,

Happens almost now, can't wait another between 4-5 and 8-10 weeks.

I feel like a decently clocked Ryzen or Intel would last me at least 5 years again.

Most probably no. Because due in 5 years, at least Intel has on schedule a brand new architecture, which I am expecting to change the landscape quite noticeably.
Perhaps AMD's own Ryzens will see quite significant improvements after 2020 as well.

Permabanned
prices are going up not down.wait its going to get even more expensive.

Memory DDR4 prices?

CPUs prices always go down. You could buy a 6-core/12-thread processor for 1000$ just 2-3 years ago. Now you can afford the same for 1/6 - 1/5 of that price.

Associate
Got mine running at 4ghz, love the chip! and I have no reasons to upgrade it just yet. I have a 1060 6gb with it and only play PUBG at 1080p, runs 60fps smoothly on ultra settings. Considering how old the chip is, it's definitely the best investment I have ever made!

Caporegime
Memory DDR4 prices?

CPUs prices always go down. You could buy a 6-core/12-thread processor for 1000$ just 2-3 years ago. Now you can afford the same for 1/6 - 1/5 of that price.

yes because the then top end cpu you talking about advances again.so now the i9 18 core cpu.

all that happens is the top end cpu becomes the top mainstream cpu 3 years after release.same with gpus.

the thing is cpus are rising cards are memory is ssds are everything is ! waiting is just going to cost you more.

Permabanned
yes because the then top end cpu you talking about advances again.so now the i9 18 core cpu.

all that happens is the top end cpu becomes the top mainstream cpu 3 years after release.same with gpus.

the thing is cpus are rising cards are memory is ssds are everything is ! waiting is just going to cost you more.

The guy above your post plays only one game. Imagine, for example, Crysis. At the time of its release, no matter how much money you could throw, you could never play the game smoothly. After all this time is now gone, you can afford a very cheap system that will actually be capable of running Crysis smoothly.

So, it depends on what you are doing but if your standard isn't the highest, then over time, things for you get cheaper and cheaper, and cheaper.

Caporegime
i explained shown benchmarks.you want a intel chip.ideally the fastest you can buy for pubg.it really benefits from it.

right now the ideal cpu for it is the i7 8700k.if buying new.regardless of what amd ryzen brings out.even in a year it wont be quicker at pubg.you dont need to explain about pubg performance.i play it everyday about 800hrs now on numerous systems.benchmarked upto the highest you can get cpu wise.

Caporegime
You must have a very good crystal ball that showed you the way :D
Seriously, you don't have this information and can't claim it :D

its called they cant compete.intel favours pubg.intel has higher mhz.nvidia works with pubg.its pretty simple to understand.

look at a 8700k even at stock vs best ryzen now its about 20-30fps down.thats not even ocd.so even with refresh which will add at best 400mhz on top.they behind.

Permabanned
its called they cant compete.intel favours pubg.intel has higher mhz.nvidia works with pubg.its pretty simple to understand.

look at a 8700k even at stock vs best ryzen now its about 20-30fps down.thats not even ocd.so even with refresh which will add at best 400mhz on top.they behind.

What you describe is ridiculous. Do you support such anti-customer practices from Intel/Nvidia? :eek: :confused:

Maybe what the game needs is more patches to fix these issues.

Caporegime
with out just keep tennis batting everything back over the net to each other and becoming tiresome as it already is...you just need to understand the game and who is behind it.

amd arent involved with pubg. nvidia are.so regardless of wild dreams.nvidia will be quicker at pubg.they a involved big money.so its going to help performance having a nvidia card.so it might change or whatever isnt happening.

next...

intel cpus are quicker at gaming.fact. every benchmark shown proves this.every pubg benchmark proves this.every benchmark i done played nearly thousand hrs across lowest to highest systems = intel quicker.if the highest intel are how is a amd going to beat it ? even old i5s i3s ! beat the very best amd cpu going to be quicker ? the simple answer is they arent.

the only amd cpus that did anything like that were 14-15 years ago.that wont happen again now.they too far behind.

if you dont know i havev a ryzen rig aswell.i have numerous amd gpus.so its not a intel nvidia vs amd its just the truth.

i prefer amd to all of the companies they just dont bring the products to take down intel or nvidia.so you cant dream your way to the top.well some can...

Caporegime
What you describe is ridiculous. Do you support such anti-customer practices from Intel/Nvidia? :eek: :confused:

Maybe what the game needs is more patches to fix these issues.
My brother just had me build him a system for PUBG. He did the research I just built the thing. He tells me Intel systems get about 30% more FPS than Ryzen systems, so he went with Intel.

Myself I'm waiting to see what Ryzen 2 brings, but I'm not a PUBG player. If I was it would be Intel for me also.

Permabanned
My brother just had me build him a system for PUBG. He did the research I just built the thing. He tells me Intel systems get about 30% more FPS than Ryzen systems, so he went with Intel.

Myself I'm waiting to see what Ryzen 2 brings, but I'm not a PUBG player. If I was it would be Intel for me also.

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is a buggy game needing optimisations. How do we know that it doesn't contain a code which recognises "GenuineIntel" and intentionally slows down on all other hardware?!

I wouldn't buy a system based on such a research, without going deeper in the causes.

Soldato
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is a buggy game needing optimisations. How do we know that it doesn't contain a code which recognises "GenuineIntel" and intentionally slows down on all other hardware?!

I wouldn't buy a system based on such a research, without going deeper in the causes.

it'll be like arma and other games just liking fast core speeds or higher IPC .

you'll find if Zen+ comes out with higher IMC and clock speed it'll beat first gen purely because of that - coding will help but the core of its been done to be honest- main focus would be on gpu drivers to smooth out gameplay

Soldato
Memory DDR4 prices?

Not that much. My 5820k is 2 years old already and I wasn't exactly an early adopter, it was only 300 EUR....not seeing any reason right now why it won't last another 2-3 years!

Back
Top Bottom