The England Cricket Thread

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Well 207 all out. I've a funny feeling Ireland would have taken a 122 run first-innings lead :D

Not sure Moeen was supposed to take that last wicket. Roy and Burns now need to pad-up for 1 over.

Associate
I think we should elevate Leach to No.1 batsman.

He's showing the rest of them how to do it, so why not?

Because Starc, Cummins etc. will be looking to break his fingers early on so he becomes a passenger for the rest of the game and he's not good enough to deal with short 90mph bowling.

This is a bit of an odd "warm-up" for the Ashes as the aussies will be 85mph+ where Ireland's attack is much more village-esque swinging the ball both ways at gentle pace.

Associate
Bairstow looks in horrible nick. The worry after ODIs is that players are too aggressive, but he looks like he's overcompensated and gone completely into his shell

Are you watching the right game? Bairstow hasn't gone into his shell, he's playing well away from the body throwing his bottom hand through the ball like he does in ODI's. The only difference is that with a red ball that moves, trying to play that way and smash everything isn't a smart technique. If I was a selector I'd look at dropping him as he's averaging just 30 in Tests since he stepped up to open in ODI's which isn't good enough for a middle order bat.

I'd love to see a team of: Burns, Sibley, Hain/Denly, Root, Roy, Stokes, Buttler/Foakes(WK), Woakes/Curran, Ali/Leach, Archer/Wood/Stone, Anderson/Broad.

Soldato
Are you watching the right game? Bairstow hasn't gone into his shell, he's playing well away from the body throwing his bottom hand through the ball like he does in ODI's. The only difference is that with a red ball that moves, trying to play that way and smash everything isn't a smart technique. If I was a selector I'd look at dropping him as he's averaging just 30 in Tests since he stepped up to open in ODI's which isn't good enough for a middle order bat.

I'd love to see a team of: Burns, Sibley, Hain/Denly, Root, Roy, Stokes, Buttler/Foakes(WK), Woakes/Curran, Ali/Leach, Archer/Wood/Stone, Anderson/Broad.

He's not throwing his bottom hand though, he's pushing it. Don't get me wrong, his technique's not great at the best of times, but when he looks unsure of himself it's horrible. If you're all bottom hand you have to play hard and go at the ball with conviction, which he doesn't do in Tests.

Edit: And before you say it, I agree that launching yourself at the ball in a Test is poor anyway, but it's better than prodding at it

Back
Top Bottom