The England Cricket Thread

Associate
Cummins and Lyons waiting in the wings. Their attack is just too good for our batsmen.

There's been a lot of talk about England having too many white ball batsmen yet when you look at the bowlers economy rates, every single one of Australia's bowlers concedes less than 3 runs per over other than Starc. On the flip side Leach and Archer are the ONLY England bowlers averaging less than 3rpo.

The Australian bowlers(Other than Starc who probably shouldn't be playing) have a very clear plan of bowling in the corridor to make England work for their runs which is definitely an area that England need to learn. England seem to bowl either too wide giving easy runs, or particularly to Smith, too straight constantly chasing that "wicket ball". They need more patience. The only one I can slightly forgive for the latter is Broad, he see's that most of the other bowlers are toothless and is trying, albeit too hard, to make something happen.

Soldato
Amazing what happens when you bat sensibly

As per the first Australian innings this pitch is an absolute road with next to nothing for the bowlers. Lyon's not been threatening at all since Edgbaston bar the odd ball or two, since then they've actually played him really well.

Soldato
Well here we go. Gotta hope stokesy can pull out another 100! England know they're not going to beat 500 so just need to hang in for a draw.

Pretty embarrassing that smiths totals can beat 5 of our best.

Is it 200 clear runs for Australia to insist on England batting first in the second innings?

Associate
They won't drop him for the last Ashes test, but we won't see him on the next series.

Personally I'd drop him and bring Woakes into the bowling lineup. Woakes is a better test batsman too.

Associate
They won't drop him for the last Ashes test, but we won't see him on the next series.

Personally I'd drop him and bring Woakes into the bowling lineup. Woakes is a better test batsman too.

When opposition teams bowl full, yes. Against short pitched bowling Woakes is even worse than Ali! I don't think England solve their problems by having yet another all-rounder. Just need to find the right batsman. I do feel that if Roy had gone straight from the World Cup into the middle order for this series he could have been very good, but instead he got exposed at the top and now his confidence is shot.

Interesting stat from this series so far: There's only two batsmen averaging between 30 & 70... Root and Burns. Apart from the 3 ridiculously in-form players, it does seem like every batsman on both sides is struggling.

Associate
Aye, pretty much like Aus saying "Smithy go and win it for us. Again."

Maybe we should do a 1 v 1 match...

Problem is that Smith is definitely quite high on the Autism spectrum and his biggest obsession is batting, he absolutely loves batting. Where normal players start to get tired after batting for a while, Smith gets tired of NOT batting. And that 12 month gap has made him really want to bat! Stokes just can't compete against a bloke so wired to bat forever.

Ofcourse it doesn't help that England keep falling hook, line and sinker into his trap of always looking like a prime LBW candidate. If I had a pound for every ball they bowled straight that he flicked through the leg side, I'd have a lot of money! They need to keep it outside off and make him drive.

Associate
All good points. Stokes and Smith have both been through the controversy mill. Maybe all the out of form batsmen need to cheat, or start a fight in public, have a bit of time off and come back better players :D

Back
Top Bottom