The England Cricket Thread

Caporegime
Considering what exactly?? You still lost the ashes and didn’t win the series :confused:

Meh I don’t think the Aussies care too much if they win or draw the series, their main aim was to retain the ashes which they have.

Soldato
Considering what exactly?? You still lost the ashes and didn’t win the series :confused:

Meh I don’t think the Aussies care too much if they win or draw the series, their main aim was to retain the ashes which they have.
They care.

I meant considering how we played at times. We didn't lose them, we just didn't win them back.

Associate
It is. Can understand letting Beefy go, but not Gower.

Any word on Gower's replacement? Maybe Wardie is going to step up as full-time presenter.

Yeah Botham is no great loss, bloke is a complete tool.

Probably wise to get rid of Gower at the same time, I'm a big fan of the energy that Ward provides and the way he connects with the likes of Atherton and Hussain. I'd love to see Warne go and perhaps Key to come in although it does make the commentary team very batter heavy. Just need to find a good ex-bowler who isn't a tool like Warne to come in and then they've got easily the best commentary team in the world. Miles better than the trash teams that the Aussies assemble.

In terms of the series, whilst we didn't regain the Ashes it's important that we can still say that the Aussies haven't won a test series here since 2001. By the time the Ashes are next hosted in England there might well be players on one or both sides that were born more recently than the last Aussie series win here!

Strange to think we had an entire summer of international cricket here in England that consisted of a tied World Cup Final and a drawn Ashes series... An entire summer of cricket for essentially two draws! Now I understand why some people don't understand or like cricket!

Soldato
Forgive me for being a cricket casual, but I just don't get how a competition that lasted 6 weeks can just end with a draw with the holders retaining the trophy, especially when they have the perfect decider in the form of a super over. The World Cup super over was the most interest I've seen in Cricket in a long time, seems like a missed opportunity.

Associate
Has anyone see the hundred shirts photo, and is that Kevin Pietersen?
The one wearing the Butterkiss shirt I mean

No that's Chris Woakes.

I haven't looked into it but it seems like the ECB have refused to allow betting companies to sponsor the shirts and as many of the games are going to be aired on free telly they needed to raise some cash somewhere, so as a result all the teams are sponsored by crisp/snack brands (All owned by the same group). I suppose the advantage for the selling sponsorship of the teams for the 100 is they had no existing strip colours so they could colour co-ordinate them with each brand without people being angry.

I know that some people are angry about allowing brands that produce relatively unhealthy food to sponsor shirts for an event heavily aimed at kids but I honestly don't see what alternative they had? No fruit or veg producer is going to sponsor the teams so it was either snacks or gambling, and imo gambling is a whole lot more dangerous. Plus these snacks are a lot healthier than KFC who sponsor the Big Bash...

No that's Chris Woakes.

I haven't looked into it but it seems like the ECB have refused to allow betting companies to sponsor the shirts and as many of the games are going to be aired on free telly they needed to raise some cash somewhere, so as a result all the teams are sponsored by crisp/snack brands (All owned by the same group). I suppose the advantage for the selling sponsorship of the teams for the 100 is they had no existing strip colours so they could colour co-ordinate them with each brand without people being angry.

I know that some people are angry about allowing brands that produce relatively unhealthy food to sponsor shirts for an event heavily aimed at kids but I honestly don't see what alternative they had? No fruit or veg producer is going to sponsor the teams so it was either snacks or gambling, and imo gambling is a whole lot more dangerous. Plus these snacks are a lot healthier than KFC who sponsor the Big Bash...

Yeah thanks, was a pretty poor photo I found to start and from the side, was going to say they should have put KP in the KP kit, but wasnt him so didnt work. I liek the butterkis kit.

I am really looking forwards to this, especially if people liek Gayle, Smith etc get picked and cant see why they wouldnt

I kind of agree on the snacks thing, but a lot of them are not that bad, like everything in moderation

Soldato
Not sure why Stokes and Pope threw it away like they did. Not an easy pitch to bat on by any means but those were rather ugly swipes.

Love a bit of Sammy lad, he just makes things happen.

Back
Top Bottom