The England Cricket Thread

Soldato
There's no one really. Stokes would likely be the only candidate and I think it's probably a bit much too much for him considering that he is expected to not only bat and bowl but to rescue England in all forms of the game.

Did you hear Michael Vaughans scathing criticism post game last night on Fox Sports? He was absolutely spot on. He said 4 years ago the EBC asked Andrew Straus to come up with a way to improve red ball cricket in England. He wrote a report with recommendations - none of which have been implemented yet.

I've been reading Simon Hughes excellent book on the 10 games that defined The Ashes over the summer and the level of pride, care, heart and soul that went into them is a far cry from the weak defeatist stinking attitude that side has shown all series and in particular last night. Something has change and I think we can only hope this is the kick up the backside the ECB need to bring about wholesale changes.

Caporegime
Old mate has a few stern words:

Alastair Cook said:
That was very, very tough viewing. That has to be our rock bottom. There cannot be any worse place in terms of getting bowled out in an hour and a half. I can't believe an hour and a half to lose 10 wickets.

As a batter and a professional who plays games of cricket, you get bowled out in a session once or twice in a career. In this side, after a couple of wickets, you can see a batting line-up devoid of all confidence. Once you lose one wicket or two wickets, no-one seems to be able to step up and stop the slide.

Until some people grab this team by the scruff of the neck, I can't see this changing.

Soldato
There's no one really. Stokes would likely be the only candidate and I think it's probably a bit much too much for him considering that he is expected to not only bat and bowl but to rescue England in all forms of the game.

Did you hear Michael Vaughans scathing criticism post game last night on Fox Sports? He was absolutely spot on. He said 4 years ago the EBC asked Andrew Straus to come up with a way to improve red ball cricket in England. He wrote a report with recommendations - none of which have been implemented yet.

I've been reading Simon Hughes excellent book on the 10 games that defined The Ashes over the summer and the level of pride, care, heart and soul that went into them is a far cry from the weak defeatist stinking attitude that side has shown all series and in particular last night. Something has change and I think we can only hope this is the kick up the backside the ECB need to bring about wholesale changes.

That’s exactly it. We’re in a position now where a four year plan probably isn’t long enough because the foundations are gone. Building a good one day side on top of the domestic game is easy because there is so much focus on short form cricket, but there is so little opportunity for players to develop as Test batsmen.

Associate
i believe the management needs to change and that starts with Ashley Giles. So many mistakes have been made on this tour. I don't think Root is a great captain but as mentioned, there is no obvious replacement.

Soldato
Silverwood is out.

Gonna need bigger changes than that, but it's a good start.
I would like to think Silverwood going was a given after that pathetic display I'm the Ashes but where the ECB is concerned nothings certain.

Looks like Strauss is clearing out all the dead wood, both Giles and Thorpe have been given the axe. This is all well and good but who's going to replace them?

Soldato
Is NowTV pretty much the only place to stream international England Cricket these days? I don't want to sign up for Sky TV because that is a long term contract but £30 a month is a lot of money. If anyone has a voucher code or an invite code or whatever, then let me know.

Caporegime
Why in England when an 'exciting new seam prospect' (Matthew Potts) appears do they plod along at 80-85 mph, whereas in Australia they often seem to be more like 90-95mph?

Fine on English pitches, but for the provinces in the Southern Hemisphere we need more Jofra Archers (always injured) and Mark Woods (always injured), not Angus Frasers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because cricket in England is a relatively niche sport. The 6ft 4in proper athletes capable of 90+ are being pulled into different sports.
It's also completely different conditions. Our pitches aren't the hard, fast tracks you get in Australia, SA, Windies etc. They reward bowlers who can swing the ball far more than they do genuine quicks. It's why Anderson always looks more dangerous than Archer.

The majority of England's tests will be played in these conditions, so it makes sense for most of our bowlers to suit them.

Back
Top Bottom