The England Cricket Thread

I see that Kamindu Mendis has a chance of equaling Herbie Sutcliffe and Everton Weekes for the fastest to 1000 in terms of innings. Needs 55 more to get there in 12, Bradman needed 13. The guy is a machine at the moment, possibly the start of the next generation of top batters to go with Gill, Jaiswal and possibly Brook?

Are tickets for ODIs normally over £100 for "platinum" seats? (I got allocated some for a game in Southampton next year... but £105 each, for a match in september that will probably get rained out?)

The home season is over for England and now it is turn for the away season for them which is starting in about a week with a 3-match test series against Pakistan. England should win this series without much problem against a team that recently lost 0-2 against Bangladesh.

The home season is over for England and now it is turn for the away season for them which is starting in about a week with a 3-match test series against Pakistan. England should win this series without much problem against a team that recently lost 0-2 against Bangladesh.
While Pakistan have been terrible recently they will raise their game against England. There are still some players that can hurt England, just need to find cohesion.

South Africa on the other hand are in a big slump. Lost a one day series to Afghanistan for 1st time, then lose a 20I to Ireland.

Old old old school. Most of the highest totals seemed to come in the 30s.
Back in the days of Wally Hammond, Len Hutton and Don Bradman the school of thought was you played to a finish no matter how long it took so teams would bat for upto 3 days and grind the other team into the ground (thank the Lord Boycott wasn't playing back then). When you combined it with lifeless wickets teams could rack up monster scores even on a 40ish strike rate and often the other team would be so drained from days of being the field they get bowled out cheaply making it uncompetitive and boring for the fans.

Not to take anything away from those guys but Harry brook smacked over 300 runs with an almost 100 strike rate, that's the best innings from any batsman I've ever watched and likely the greatest ever imo.

Srinivas Vijaykumar the Cricviz analyst said:
In 735 Tests hosted in Asia, teams batting in the first innings have scored 500+ on 102 occasions.

Pakistan are the first of those teams in Test history to end up losing.

An unwanted record set.

If Joe Root can keep up this level he should overtake Ricky Pointing's run scoring record in the next 7 tests. After that only Tendulkar is ahead of him but Sachin is far ahead of the rest of the pack in terms of overall runs scored.

Only take him 4 years at 750 runs a year which on current form is easily achievable. More like 3 years if the number of tests and his scoring rate continue.

Best stat I saw was that until over 248 root had been on the field for all but 8 balls

Back
Top Bottom