Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (April Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 452 45.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 553 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something to back up your views ;)

Not surprising that leavers are more inclined to actually go and vote on the day. From what I've seen leavers are more passionate, know the arguments better and have done a lot more research rather than just relying on the headlines. Queue the roasting from datalol, Moses and the remain crew.... :D

Good arguments?

qDT979A.gif

But what you really mean is...

zdzr6Mm.gif

And then ask for 'special deals'...

u82z6a1.gif

No matter. All shall be crushed in good time.:cool:

All articles are opinion pieces!

No, that's not correct. Newspapers traditionally publish three kinds of article: factual articles, editorials and opinion. Factual articles are supposedly based, as it suggests, on factual reporting of news events. Editorials are opinion pieces written from the point of view of the paper; where other opinion pieces carry the opinions of their writers and may, or may not, follow the same political biases as the paper that carries them.

However newspapers tend to show some bias and not allow articles opposing that. This is an article in support of Brexit in the FT. It can definitely not be called a remain supporting paper. At best neutral.

You cannot base your entire opinion of a paper on one article. I say it is remain slanted (I wouldn't go as far as biased) based on other articles I've read.

If you have access, here is there EU referendum main page. The current top article is "Arguments for leaving the EU do not add up" by Martin Wolf who is their chief economics commentator.

Lol, just not true. Good papers often have comment/opinion pieces with a different view. You claimed a single piece meant the FT is supporting Brexit, which is ridiculous. If you go on the Brexit page of their site the clear majority of articles are Bremain... ;)

I'd agree with you that the FT is on the whole pro remain. But, they were very much pro Britain joining the Euro too, and the FT editor from 2001-2006 apologised here for taking that stance. His key line for me is:

FT Editor apologising for saying Britain should join the Euro said:
Too often, their arguments were drowned out by the political imperatives driving the project forward

For me that's the key here. Many of the headlines/opinions on the remain side are driven by bodies driving a bigger political agenda, they're not interested in what's best for the people of Britain.

The CEO of HSBC from 2006- 2011 (as per his opinion piece in the FT) is free to speak his mind now and for me makes a great economic case for leaving.

The 'wrong then, wrong now' line is just embarrassing. If an organisation or person is wrong once, can they never be trusted again?

Of course they can, but I think you're missing the point. He got it wrong because he was swept up with the (in his words) "political imperative" behind the Euro, without looking subjectively at what was best for Britain at the time.

That's the key - you need to judge the merits of remain/leave without the blur of what many want - a federal Europe. That's what the EU is all about first and foremost, not doing what's best for its people.

I'd agree with you that the FT is on the whole pro remain. But, they were very much pro Britain joining the Euro too, and the FT editor from 2001-2006 apologised here for taking that stance.

You know, for all that the UK loves to bash the Euro right now, it's interesting that within the Eurozone support for the Euro remains high (source, or less recent unpaywalled source for those who can't access it).

For me that's the key here. Many of the headlines/opinions on the remain side are driven by bodies driving a bigger political agenda, they're not interested in what's best for the people of Britain.

I'd find it pretty extraordinary if such a wide range of commentators were ignoring what is best for the British people.

I'd find it pretty extraordinary if such a wide range of commentators were ignoring what is best for the British people.

Define "Best"

For example,

Consider the old question;

Is it better to be a pampered Slave than a poor free Man?

Which is "Best"?

There is of course no "right" answer, you just have to go with how you feel as an individual.

There are some people who would be perfectly happy with being a pampered slave (Especially if poverty was the alternative), there are others who would not tolerate it at any price.

I see the EU membership issue in much the same light!

I would be the poor free Man.

I will vote to leave!

Just one tiny example on why we should leave.

If Turkey join the EU with schengen agreement in place it will border or be very close to.

Iran
Iraq
Syria
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Georgia

I can see that working very well. :rolleyes:

Also they are grinding the NHS to death and its all part of TIPP if we stay.
My missus is fuming at what they are doing and its all to do with making the NHS private.:mad:

The picture is much bigger than money and migration. :(

Just one tiny example on why we should leave.

If Turkey join the EU with schengen agreement in place it will border or be very close to.

Iran
Iraq
Syria
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Georgia

I can see that working very well. :rolleyes:

Also they are grinding the NHS to death and its all part of TIPP if we stay.
My missus is fuming at what they are doing and its all to do with making the NHS private.:mad:

The picture is much bigger than money and migration. :(

:D

How is what I have said even funny? :confused:

Why post a youtube clip to something very important and will effect everyone of us?

Do you think I am lying and have not looked into all aspects of membership of the EU.

Not sure what you getting at, you come across very convoluted and detached.

Might be just me I dunno. :(

How is what I have said even funny? :confused:

Why post a youtube clip to something very important and will effect everyone of us?

Do you think I am lying and have not looked into all aspects of membership of the EU.

Not sure what you getting at, you come across very convoluted and detached.

Might be just me I dunno. :(

Tell me the one about lizards in the royal family, plz. :p

It's hard to buy the argument that the Ottoman Empire shall reform, uproot and move here en masse, though. In fact, Turkey's been stuck at the back of the queue for the best part of three decades. Only the Daily Mail believes it'll suddenly overcome it's many problems in a couple of years (a technical impossibility for anyone, really, since the moratorium for new candidates extends till the end of 2019 anyway).

But we love a good what-if story in GD, don't we? I say we try to pinch Kazakhstan from Russia, now that'll really get the tinfoils buzzin'! :):p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom