Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (April Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 452 45.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 553 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Like we can do for the European Parliament in elections that happen every 5 years?

Unsurprisingly the UK is in the bottom third in terms of turnout, only 35.6% in 2014, less than every other western/northern European country, and even Bulgaria (36%) and Estonia (37%).

http://www.ukpolitical.info/european-parliament-election-turnout.htm

Not surprising considering we get so shafted in the European Parliament.

Number of UK inhabitants per UK MEP: 839,194
Number of Bulgarian inhabitants per Bulgarian MEP: 454,059
Number of Luxembourg inhabitants per Lux MEP: 76,667

Only Spain and France are more under-represented than we are :mad:

Man of Honour
OP
The key point being we can regularly vote to get rid of the UK government if we don't like what they are doing.

What, like how Scotland clearly loves the Conservatives and their policies? They voted to get rid of the last administration by the almost blanket SNP representation in Scotland, yet still nothing changes, indeed the Conservative have a parliamentary majority.

Democracy, especially when using FPTP doesn't do what you're suggesting.

Man of Honour
OP
Not surprising considering we get so shafted in the European Parliament.

Number of UK inhabitants per UK MEP: 839,194
Number of Bulgarian inhabitants per Bulgarian MEP: 454,059
Number of Luxembourg inhabitants per Lux MEP: 76,667

Only Spain and France are more under-represented than we are :mad:

Yet France, along with Germany are the two defining powers in Europe. Why? Because they engage with the EU and it's processes.

Permabanned
I have seen a Labour MEP this morning say the UK steel industry will be at risk if we leave the EU.

As opposed to what, staying in?

Soldato
What, like how Scotland clearly loves the Conservatives and their policies? They voted to get rid of the last administration by the almost blanket SNP representation in Scotland, yet still nothing changes, indeed the Conservative have a parliamentary majority.

The funny thing is, leaving the EU may be one of the only ways that Scotland gets what it increasingly wants, independence. There are already calls for another vote, and given the demographic shift should we leave those calls will only get louder.

I'd rather Scotland stays in the UK, but not at the cost of staying in the EU.

Soldato
Yet France, along with Germany are the two defining powers in Europe. Why? Because they engage with the EU and it's processes.

France and Germany probably don't care about being under represented in terms of MEP's because let's face it, they pretty much run the EU. We are not in the same position.

Man of Honour
Same as the other polls, a definate out and nothing will swing me the other way.

50% of the population up here didn't vote for the SNP. They are not as well liked as it looks.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
France and Germany probably don't care about being under represented in terms of MEP's because let's face it, they pretty much run the EU. We are not in the same position.

And we never will be standing on the sidelines complaining like a spoilt child all the time. France can and does have a powerful voice in Europe without having huge numbers of MEPs, so saying we're under represented doesn't have the consequences people assume.

50% of the population up here didn't vote for the SNP. They are not as well liked as it looks.

My point is that saying that only having laws written by parliament doesn't mean that we can just vote out any government that is a bit unpopular. The system and process doesn't allow for it.

Soldato

And we could too if we actually took part. Instead of opting out, and objecting to every little thing. Electing anti-EU MEPs didn't help either.

Soldato
And we never will be standing on the sidelines complaining like a spoilt child all the time. France can and does have a powerful voice in Europe without having huge numbers of MEPs, so saying we're under represented doesn't have the consequences people assume.

France, as I understand it, pays part of it's contribution to the EU in kind with bureaucratic services. They provide civil servants at an equivalent of a daily rate instead of cash. It means France has a disproportionately large presence in the civil service of the EU giving them immense bureaucratic power. Germany is the paymaster. That is why the EU has until recently, with France's relative economic under performance, spun on a Franco-German axis.

Caporegime
France, as I understand it, pays part of it's contribution to the EU in kind with bureaucratic services. They provide civil servants at an equivalent of a daily rate instead of cash. It means France has a disproportionately large presence in the civil service of the EU giving them immense bureaucratic power. Germany is the paymaster. That is why the EU has until recently, with France's relative economic under performance, spun on a Franco-German axis.

I did not know that, crafty beggars but I wish we had the guile to pull a stunt like that, instead of being "nice Britain" that plays by the rules all the time and gets taken advantage of.

Soldato
And we never will be standing on the sidelines complaining like a spoilt child all the time. France can and does have a powerful voice in Europe without having huge numbers of MEPs, so saying we're under represented doesn't have the consequences people assume..

And we could too if we actually took part. Instead of opting out, and objecting to every little thing. Electing anti-EU MEPs didn't help either.

We didn't set up the EU, we've never really sat at the table and I don't think we ever will. As PlacidCasual says it's run by the French and the Germans, both of whom have a long term vision i don't share.

Even if we could establish ourselves on an equal footing, i'd rather Britain be able to choose its own destiny rather than trying to reach compromise with 28 other countries and 500 million+ people (as of now, add Turkey to that soon).

Man of Honour
Was sat on the fence, whilst weighing up the pros and cons. Now I am firmly voting for Leave and no amount of posturing or stay-talk will change my mind at this point.

Whats more...I am very strongly of the belief that regardless of what anyone says, the Leave vote IS going to win. So brace yourself people, whether you like it or not, whether you agree with it or not, imo, you best prepare for a future where we are out of the EU.

Soldato
Was sat on the fence, whilst weighing up the pros and cons. Now I am firmly voting for Leave and no amount of posturing or stay-talk will change my mind at this point.

Whats more...I am very strongly of the belief that regardless of what anyone says, the Leave vote IS going to win. So brace yourself people, whether you like it or not, whether you agree with it or not, imo, you best prepare for a future where we are out of the EU.

I wouldn't be so sure. If that were the expectation in the Leave camp -- a more certain Brexit, indicated by internal data and polling, than is let on in public, why engage in speculation of what comes after they lose?

http://www.politico.eu/article/euroskeptic-movement-plan-what-comes-after-ukip-brexit/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35949705

From Leave's PR point of view at this stage of the referendum campaign, I find it bizarre.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't be so sure. If that were the expectation in the Leave camp -- a more certain Brexit, indicated by internal data and polling, than is let on in public, why engage in speculation of what comes after they lose?

http://www.politico.eu/article/euroskeptic-movement-plan-what-comes-after-ukip-brexit/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35949705

From Leave's PR point of view at this stage of the referendum campaign, I find it bizarre.

Time will prove whether my sureness was founded or not, I could be massively wrong of course but I'm a betting man and if you asked me to place a £100 bet today on which way it would go my gut instincts tell me that it would be best to place that bet on leave winning rather than losing

Soldato
Time will prove whether my sureness was founded or not, I could be massively wrong of course but I'm a betting man and if you asked me to place a £100 bet today on which way it would go my gut instincts tell me that it would be best to place that bet on leave winning rather than losing

I'm sure the bookmakers would be happy to take your money. Paddy Power is offering odds:

Remain 4/11
Exit 15/8

and William Hill:

Remain 2/5
Leave 15/8

Remain is the very hot favourite.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=704217
http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/y/12/Politics.html

I'm tempted to put some money on leave. Would ease the pain if it were to happen. ;)

Soldato
I might have a punt on leaving. There's bound to be some more migrant/islamic enrichment in the next couple of months, so best to get in before the odds shorten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom