Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (June Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 794 45.1%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 965 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's about not having double standards. Everyone playing by the same rules. Everyone accepting the same thing. They can reform it for everyone. That's realistic. Saying we can leave and have an à la carte EU isn't, because if one party gets a special deal then everyone wants their own special deal and the union breaks.

You assert the EU won't change, but the Eurozone countries need treaty change... so there will be negotiations for that, and to make it happen they need the support of every state... so we'll be able to get something out of those negotiations. The EU will change, and as members we'll have a powerful voice given our veto.

So when it suits the remain campaign we get special treatment like opt outs, not being part of ever closer union etc? But equally they tell us the EU will not negotiate on free movement as it's not fair. Seems double standards to me. Either we can negotiate or we can't.

The remain camp are just discrediting themselves.

I agree with you that Treaty change will happen - but all that means in reality is (as history has shown) further, faster and deeper integration. Something most Europeans don't want.

Soldato
Lexit - The Movie has been posted on YT. Farage not being in it might make it more watchable for many (although I presume Galloway might have the same effect). :p

Man of Honour
You're talking about regulations, that have to be implemented at the local level.

Directives come into force straight away - definition from Google is "an official or authoritative instruction."Nice.

I think you have it the wrong way round? There is generally discretion as to how directives are implemented within a certain time period. Regulations are binding once passed.

Soldato
So when it suits the remain campaign we get special treatment like opt outs, not being part of ever closer union etc? But equally they tell us the EU will not negotiate on free movement as it's not fair. Seems double standards to me. Either we can negotiate or we can't.

But you're comparing 'special treatment' and 'opt-outs' (which are benefits of being IN) against a condition of free movement which is a result of being OUT :confused:

I agree with you that Treaty change will happen - but all that means in reality is (as history has shown) further, faster and deeper integration. Something most Europeans don't want.

Actually, I think it's something a lot of Europeans (including those voting to remain) DO want.

Soldato
Can someone please confirm my understanding of european legislation implementation.

Legislation is brought before rhe european parliament where elected officials from their respective countries vote on its passing.

If passed, legislation is passed to national governments where further elected officials vote it into force or not?

If so, whats all this 'laws made by unelected european beaurocrats' campaigning by leave? Not to mention ukip have the lowest voting at european level hence self fulfilling their claim?

http://europa.eu/eu-law/decision-making/procedures/index_en.htm has a nice summary of the EU side of law making. As has been pointed out the Parliament and Council do not propose legislation, but both can amend proposals and both can prevent legislation from passing. Parliament is made up of the MEPs we elect directly, the Council is the heads of state or government of the member countries, so again elected.

Soldato
Not sure a measley 1% increase in government budget will outweigh the shrinking of the economy forecasted by nearly all economics and business leaders

The thing is, which part of the economy is predicted to shrink.

It is perfectly possible to envisage a smaller economy that actually leaves most people better off.

EG, lets say hypothetically that, say, financial services take a real hit, but manufacturing grows. Top earners would have it bad (But still be better off than everybody else) Everybody else could well be better off than before, despite the overall GDP being lower.

And in the longer term, growth might well be more solid and spread more evenly and fairly across the population.

I would regard that as a result!

Soldato
Ck8TCIXWgAc9IfF.jpg:medium

It feels like the kind of people voting out are the kind of people who are unhappy with their lot in life. They're going to be bitterly disappointed when leaving the EU doesn't conjure a bunch of unicorns.

Don
OP
Directives also contain a minimum set of regulations that must be implemented by member states. States are free to expand upon them though.

For example, the Tobacco Products Directive that was recently transposed in the member states' law regulates e-cigarettes and vaping products. Some of the minimum requirements:

Tanks can't be bigger than 2ml (thanks, now I have to fill my device several times a day)
Advertising banned (So existing smokers can't find out about them and maybe not die from smoking)
All products must submit a pre-market report to legislators detailing the device, liquid and it's specs before going on the market and pay a fee - not too expensive in the UK but some states have placed crippling fees on this (To make it harder for small companies to compete with tobacco and pharmaceutical companies)
Liquid for e-cigarettes cannot be of strength greater than 20mg/ml (so that new vapers who are trying to switch from smoking cannot get enough nicotine)
Refill bottles can only be sold in bottles of 10ml (great for reducing plastic waste that is....)
Ban on sales to under 18s (good)
Mandatory leak-free refilling method (not actually specified how this is supposed to work)

The UK has done a light-tough implementation of it, only sticking to the minimums requested by the EU. Other countries have gone much further by doing things such as banning cross-border sales etc.

There are also provisions within the TPD that say that if 3 member states choose to ban e-cigarettes outright, then all member states will be obliged to follow suit.

So, directives are sort of a minimum set of rules that are mandatory for EU member states but the actual legislation is enacted at a local level.

Soldato
Directives also contain a minimum set of regulations that must be implemented by member states. States are free to expand upon them though.

For example, the Tobacco Products Directive that was recently transposed in the member states' law regulates e-cigarettes and vaping products. Some of the minimum requirements:

Tanks can't be bigger than 2ml (thanks, now I have to fill my device several times a day)
Advertising banned (So existing smokers can't find out about them and maybe not die from smoking)
All products must submit a pre-market report to legislators detailing the device, liquid and it's specs before going on the market. (To make it harder for small companies to compete with tobacco and pharmaceutical companies)
Liquid for e-cigarettes cannot be of strength greater than 20mg/ml (so that new vapers who are trying to switch from smoking cannot get enough nicotine)
Refill bottles can only be sold in bottles of 10ml (great for reducing plastic waste that is....)
Ban on sales to under 18s (good)

The UK has done a light-tough implementation of it, only sticking to the minimums requested by the EU. Other countries have gone much further by doing things such as banning cross-border sales etc.

There are also provisions within the TPD that say that if 3 member states choose to ban e-cigarettes outright, then all member states will be obliged to follow suit.

So, directives are sort of a minimum set of rules that are mandatory for EU member states but the actual legislation is enacted at a local level.

Interesting that you've chosen to highlight the negatives of most of those points rather than potential reasons for their existence. There are negatives to them but they haven't just been pulled out of thin air.

Soldato
David Cameron's visiting Gibraltar today. Lets see what he has to say for himself. Locally its going to be an overwhelmingly "remain" vote, but I guess the main thing we'd like to hear is what assurances/actions will be taken if our neighbours use a brexit result in the way the Spanish Government's rhetoric is already suggesting.

Caporegime
Will be so glad when this is all over - its like reading a religious thread. Everyone is right but wrong at the same time

One issue is that the side-taking and smack-talking prior to the vote is only half of the problem, maybe even less than half. The real issues come once the votes have been counted and decisions made because one way or the other you're going to have a lot of very, very unhappy people.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;29633912 said:
One issue is that the side-taking and smack-talking prior to the vote is only half of the problem, maybe even less than half. The real issues come once the votes have been counted and decisions made because one way or the other you're going to have a lot of very, very unhappy people.

^This. It'll be like the Scottish referendum all over again and people won't let it go because they've become so invested in their desired outcome.

I'll admit I'm more fired up over this than I've ever been about anything political before even though in reality, things are unlikely to change much for me either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom