Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still formulating an opinion and decision based on whatever facts I can glean and trust. I highly suspect it will be a decision on the day based on heart, mind and perhaps some elements of rational thinking. Who knows?

I said less because that's not going to apply to us, but being outside of the EU we wouldn't be able to negotiate special transitional controls if eg. Turkey were joining. It's better to be in the room than not, if we're signing up to the free movement of people, anyway.

Fancy addressing the rest of my post above, or do you just like posting a pic and running?

Already did. Norway are consulted on any law that effects them and when applying this law they are able to adapt it so that it applies closely to the original law. This gives opportunity to tune the law to our needs.

In, while the EU is not perfect, we know exactly what remaining in involves. Leave have not been able to give any evidence based information about what will happen post brexit, and as such I cannot vote on the hope it is better when the risk is that it is likely to be worse.

As much as I hate admit it Dolph has hit the nail on the head for me.

In for me:)

In, while the EU is not perfect, we know exactly what remaining in involves. Leave have not been able to give any evidence based information about what will happen post brexit, and as such I cannot vote on the hope it is better when the risk is that it is likely to be worse.

I find this view point interesting. I know many people are risk adverse and for that reason they will vote to stay in. However I don't think I could state I know what remaining in involves. No one really knows what will happen if we stay in or get out. I do not know what the EU will have imposed upon us in 5 years time same as I do not know what implications leaving will have had on us in 5 years time.

I think for many it will come down to do we take the risk or not. As for me, as per the last thread still waiting for something to sway me solidly either way but as I'm generally risk adverse in life in this instance I am thinking of mixing it up a bit and teetering towards vote out.

I watched the debate linked in the previous thread and I have to agree with others that the pro EU speakers seemed to have no stats / facts and were very overshadowed by the leave EU speakers.

Give us the facts:
1. "What did the EU ever do for us?
2. Not much, apart from: providing 57% of our trade;
3. structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline;
4. clean beaches and rivers;
5. cleaner air;
6. lead free petrol;
7. restrictions on landfill dumping;
8. a recycling culture;
9. cheaper mobile charges;
10. cheaper air travel;
11. improved consumer protection and food labelling;
12. a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives;
13. better product safety;
14. single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance;
15. break up of monopolies;
16. Europe-wide patent and copyright protection;
17. no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market;
18. price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone;
19. freedom to travel, live and work across Europe;
20. funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad;
21. access to European health services;
22. labour protection and enhanced social welfare;
23. smoke-free workplaces;
24. equal pay legislation;
25. holiday entitlement;
26. the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime;
27. strongest wildlife protection in the world;
28. improved animal welfare in food production;
29. EU-funded research and industrial collaboration;
30. EU representation in international forums;
31. bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO;
32. EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty;
33. European arrest warrant;
34. cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence;
35. European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;
36. support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond;
37. investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.
38. All of this is nothing compared with its greatest achievements: the EU has for 60 years been the foundation of peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed.
39. It furthermore assisted the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980.
40. Now the union faces major challenges brought on by neoliberal economic globalisation, and worsened by its own systemic weaknesses. It is taking measures to overcome these. We in the UK should reflect on whether our net contribution of £7bn out of total government expenditure of £695bn is good value. We must play a full part in enabling the union to be a force for good in a multi-polar global future.
And then the decision to stay is irrefutable.

Then you need to decide, remain for now is not an option it's remain forever. Vote out now has the potential to rejoin If there is fundamental change in how the EU is governed

You do realise how long EU joining negotiations take right? If we vote to remain then it may indeed rear it's head again at some point in the future, in a similar time scale that any rejoining would take.

Nothing is permanent, the question is what state we'd be in if we choose the "wrong" option.

Already did. Norway are consulted on any law that effects them and when applying this law they are able to adapt it so that it applies closely to the original law. This gives opportunity to tune the law to our needs.

If this is the case it slams down the arguments if having no sat on all the laws but of course we wouldn't need a say on the ones that don't impact us either. Donee have a reference for this? Quite a shame how a lot of the EU discussions are drowned out by misinformation.

Still out. Same reasons as listed before. Undemocratic authoritarian dictatorship. For people who deny this the irrefutable evidence is the Greek people.

I don't know anyone who is actually voting in. A couple undecided yes.

For all those saying remain is the safer or less risky option, you should think about what the EU will look like in 40+ years based on its track record as below (the last time we got a vote was 40 odd years ago).

When the EU started it was 6 countries and just about trade. Gradually over time it's taken more and more countries, and more and more power away from historically domestic issues. It started with trade, then agriculture, then transport, then workers' rights. Then Justice, foreign policy etc.

The trend and trajectory is clear to see, the EU will continue to move toward a federalist Europe with all the power centralised in the hands of an unelected few. The choice is between Britain being less and less in control of its own destiny, or being on the 2nd tier along with Norway, Switzerland etc who are highly prosperous countries and whose people do not want to join the EU.

Some of those are a bit simplified to assume we'd never be able to get that without the eu though. Smoke free work places? Cleaner air? These probably would have been done in or out of the EU and stuff like the European arrest warrant are decent but are more necessary due to the bad checks during travel caused by freedom of movement in the first place.

The EU's done some good and I don't argue that but a lot of it is stuff we'd have probably done anyway or not really that big a deal. Still there's good to be said but the idea that they didn't sit on there bums for 40 years doesn't necessarily mean it's a good reason to decide if the population control, immigration control, ways it interacts with our welfare systems and other serious matters should get sidelined to acknowledge these (let's be honest) less than life changing stuff you've listed. Most of them could be accomplished through other means as well and now the eu is here we should be able to get the same capacity out of them (such as the eu arrest warrant) without being in the eu.

If we stay in, at any point we can start a two year timer to leave. Or it can be done quicker than that if everyone agrees. It's not as though we're locked in.

I'm surprised anyone would honestly believe that we the public will ever be given an opportunity to say no to the EU again little short of complete meltdown domestically or in the EU. I know we have a referendum lock for treaty changes that give up soveriegnty but given how pretty much the enitre UK and EU establishment has lined up against the Leave campaign I don't think it would be a crack pot conspiracy to suggest our betters will decide any future treaties don't trigger the referencdum lock. The Netherland, France referendum rejections and the "I can't believe it's not an EU constitution " Lisbon Treaty are great examples off the top of my head of EU perfidy by a countries representatives against their own voters.

Vote Out, then renegotiate back in to most of the stuff the EU does well except with the added bonus of easier exit terms in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom