Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Give us the facts:
5. cleaner air

:confused: How can the EU give Britain cleaner air when unlimited economic migration is rising the population by millions... more people, more cars, more rubbish, more nature to be built on for homes, less nature worse air quality...

Man of Honour
:confused: How can the EU give Britain cleaner air when unlimited economic migration is rising the population by millions... more people, more cars, more rubbish, more nature to be built on for homes, less nature worse air quality...

Because irrespective of the questionable validity of the test results and the crap testing process it's difficult to argue that the continued restrictions in EU emissions standards have not forced the manufacturers to dedicate far more effort into reducing emissions than they ever would have done off their own back.

Last edited:
Associate
The main thing that eea members are not subject to are fisheries and agriculture policies.

I guess it depends which rules you want to be able to ignore
There is the comparison table on page 1. For me reassurances of the fact we do get influence on the decision shaping process along with that method of opting out of some rules seems like a better idea than being hole hog in the union. I'm sceptical of the EU and recognise the trade benefits are in our interest but don't feel we should be in it until we've seen more where it's headed with turkey and how it approaches our welfare systems and the increasing integration.

If we vote to stay I envision they'll draw us closer and closer in until division is near impossible in the future whereas opting out doesn't prevent us from going in later. I suppose everyone should be happy that even if we leave there's not going to be such a damaging loss of 'influence' :p

I'm more playing devil's advocate here as I feel (honestly) that there's so much misinformation on the eu that the politicians don't know what they are doing either. Cameron and the in cronies never gave a hint of us still maintaining influence like this. It's just misinformation piled on misinformation and being called a campaign. Still I can see arguments for both sides but I feel we will be alright either way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The amount of time people spend debating stuff with people who equally will never change their mind on an internet forum is the most stunning thing about these poll results and thread activity.

If someone could actually spend some of that time to look through the results and find the 2 people that have actually read an internet debate and changed their view it would be the best thing to come from these threads :D

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29446729 said:
Because irrespective of the questionable validity of the test results and the crap testing process it's difficult to argue that the continued restrictions in EU emissions standards have not forced the manufacturers to dedicated far effort into reducing emissions than they ever would have done off their own back.

You are talking to the "environmental protections are unnecessary red tape" brigade here, Fox.

Soldato
The amount of time people spend debating stuff with people who equally will never change their mind on an internet forum is the most stunning thing about these poll results and thread activity.

If someone could actually spend some of that time to look through the results and find the 2 people that have actually read an internet debate and changed their view it would be the best thing to come from these threads :D

Actually, you're not too far off the actual number of undecideds in these threads. They'll have to carry the rest of us out feet first, however! :eek::p

Man of Honour
Still in. Obama hit the nail on the head.

His stance was a little hypocritical for me.

Would the US be a member of a pan American union, sign up to a single currency ( granted not all EU countries have ), and have laws applied to them from, for example, a PAU congress based in Mexico or Canada ?

Not in a million.

That said, if the Brexit happened at the UK was at the back of the queue for trade deals, I dare say that would leave a lot of other countries to forge trade deals with.

Sgarrista
Commissario
13102813_10156791600455545_6576461840577621378_n.jpg

Man of Honour
Is there anything new and newsworthy happening in the Migrant crisis? You can't report the same story every single day if it's not developing. The clue is in the name - 'news'.

That there is a Migrant camp in Calais isn't news.

Frankly none of it is related to the EU anyway, these people are illegally crossing borders so what possible difference does our EU membership make to it?

Non EU migrants are not a 'negative about being in the EU'.

Associate
Actually, you're not too far off the actual number of undecideds in these threads. They'll have to carry the rest of us out feet first, however! :eek::p
You're probably aware I changed my opinion :p to be fair there's a difference between an earnest debate and the snickering and insults that tends to get padded around a lot with pro EU supporters. It's hard for you to convince people you're worth listening to while being rude and disrespectful to any issue they bring forward as a concern in there mind. I am quite open minded so I let it slide and swapped from out voter to in but I can't say I feel the in voters do much favours to there arguments with all the jokes and insults.

There's arguments for either side and I'll have to reassess my view now that being out of the EU but inside a trade agreement has proven to give us less rules to follow but still maintain a level of policy control with the decision shaping process. Who really believes we will get the eu to bend on big issues like how it interacts with our welfare systems and freedom of movement? There's next to no chance anyway so being in the union isn't really contributing to any major political advantage in regards to policy shaping for our way of life. I've turned to an in voter recently but I'll have to reassess it out really is the right answer and just get a trade agreement.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There is the comparison table on page 1. For me reassurances of the fact we do get influence on the decision shaping process along with that method of opting out of some rules seems like a better idea than being hole hog in the union. I'm sceptical of the EU and recognise the trade benefits are in our interest but don't feel we should be in it until we've seen more where it's headed with turkey and how it approaches our welfare systems and the increasing integration.

If we vote to stay I envision they'll draw us closer and closer in until division is near impossible in the future whereas opting out doesn't prevent us from going in later. I suppose everyone should be happy that even if we leave there's not going to be such a damaging loss of 'influence' :p

I'm more playing devil's advocate here as I feel (honestly) that there's so much misinformation on the eu that the politicians don't know what they are doing either. Cameron and the in cronies never gave a hint of us still maintaining influence like this. It's just misinformation piled on misinformation and being called a campaign. Still I can see arguments for both sides but I feel we will be alright either way.

We currently have a preferential membership package to the EU with a number of opt outs not available to new members. I doubt we would be permitted those terms if we were to leave and try to rejoin.

Associate
We currently have a preferential membership package to the EU with a number of opt outs not available to new members. I doubt we would be permitted those terms if we were to leave and try to rejoin.
Okay I'll admit I'm a little unawares of all these great benefits, what is the major preferential membership terms we have?

I'll have to weigh up if we're going to lose such benefits vs the benefits of being in the trade agreement and out of some eu policy.

Man of Honour
Okay I'll admit I'm a little unawares of all these great benefits, what is the major preferential membership terms we have?

I'll have to weigh up if we're going to lose such benefits vs the benefits of being in the trade agreement and out of some eu policy.

Freedom from the Eurozone and the large rebate are probably the biggest preferential terms we have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_rebate

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;29446729 said:
Because irrespective of the questionable validity of the test results and the crap testing process it's difficult to argue that the continued restrictions in EU emissions standards have not forced the manufacturers to dedicate far more effort into reducing emissions than they ever would have done off their own back.

The air isn't cleaner.

Associate
[TW]Fox;29446883 said:
Freedom from the Eurozone and the large rebate are probably the biggest preferential terms we have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_rebate
Getting back money we are technically being overcharged in the first place is a good benefit I suppose. If only that eu approach of not slapping policy on 28 different countries and then hoping it works (which it wouldn't have worked fairly without intervention) was swapped for something a little more personal and refined.

Still it's better than nothing and at least we get it, wouldn't we remain exempt from the euro zone if we voted to stay out of the EU and joined a trade agreement still?

Soldato
I can answer this ... No.

The media hasn't been censored, we have a free press. What do you want? A daily "and in other news there's still a shed load of migrants"?

We don't get daily updates on idis beheadings either. It's just not news worthy

Free press... OK Kim

If you read alternate news sites and or open "people reporting" websites you will see that sexual assaults are still happening daily, riots still breaking out at various "detention" centres. And that's just the easy to see and find stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom