Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It does seem like Remain are doing a balancing act where they can’t improve their situation, but every wrong move makes it worse to one degree or another.

:D I'm enjoying that thou , Seriously they are going completely OTT with some scaremongering and its having the opposite effect .

Like others in the previous page have said , they are putting all the eggs in the scaremongering basket , we need to hear the Pro-EU , the top 3 reasons its changed our lives for the better ( Bore off with "workers rights" , British Government was already , would have implemented it anyway ).

Wetherspoons boss just pumped a fair bit of money in to the leave campaign aswell. ~200k

Soldato
:D I'm enjoying that thou , Seriously they are going completely OTT with some scaremongering and its having the opposite effect .

Like others in the previous page have said , they are putting all the eggs in the scaremongering basket , we need to hear the Pro-EU , the top 3 reasons its changed our lives for the better ( Bore off with "workers rights" , British Government was already , would have implemented it anyway ).

Wetherspoons boss just pumped a fair bit of money in to the leave campaign aswell. ~200k

Out of curiousity, what is your opinion on pouring billions into the Large Hadron Collider?

Soldato
Out of curiousity, what is your opinion on pouring billions into the Large Hadron Collider?

As a non EU organisation?

Founded in 1954, the CERN laboratory sits astride the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva. It was one of Europe's first joint ventures

CERN is run by 21 member states, each of which has two official delegates to the CERN council. One represents his or her government’s administration; the other represents national scientific interests.

Each member state has a single vote and most decisions require a simple majority, although in practice the council aims for a consensus as close as possible to unanimity.

Actually I like it. It has provided many jobs in the UK during construction and operation and it does good research.

Soldato
The science funding and collaborations we have with EU universities in research has allowed the UK to remain one of the countries leading many fields of research. It is the prestige of a English university which encourages aspiring students to come to study and stay for research, who normally would not be able to afford to come and study here. You will find a significant portion of most research teams are made up of graduates who came from Mainland Europe.

Associate

I generally know nothing about the funding about it ? , I won't Google it but am I missing something what's that got to do with my post ??

Science wise yeh its interesting , don't actively follow it tbh

Soldato
The European Space Agency is not an EU body either, so we could still actively participate in scientific activities there too (as we should) if we leave. :D

Permabanned
The science funding and collaborations we have with EU universities in research has allowed the UK to remain one of the countries leading many fields of research. It is the prestige of a English university which encourages aspiring students to come to study and stay for research, who normally would not be able to afford to come and study here. You will find a significant portion of most research teams are made up of graduates who came from Mainland Europe.

Why would universities and academics want to stop collaborating just becasue we left the EU?

Associate
Why would universities and academics want to stop collaborating just becasue we left the EU?

They won't , but they can't use that as an argument to stay . So they say its "Uncertain" and "More Difficult" .

I don't get that argument . We simply want to break away from "Political Union" its completely unfounded the rest of the member states would simply break ties and stop cooperating to spite us , in all aspects Trade , Security , Education and Travel . More fool them If they did so.

Soldato

They wouldn't.

The scientific community is very pro-remain though for two reasons.
  • A large amount of the money the UK spends on research is channeled and redistributed first through the EU
  • Researchers view working in foreign institutions extremely favourably, and a very large number of reputatable scientists spend part of their career abroad. Freedom of movement in the EU is therefore quite a boon to them.

Edit: I guess its also administratively a bit easier for collaborating universities across Europe to apply to the same body for funding. We collaborate with institutions all over the world without that though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A large amount of the money the UK spends on research is channeled and redistributed first through the EU

Actually this isn't correct. EU funds make up a relatively small proportion of UK science funding (I forget the exact figure, but IIRC it's in the region of 5%); it's just that it's a particularly valuable kind of funding because it supporters inter-European collaborations and those collaborations are extremely valuable. The UK gets a disproportionately large slice of the EU funding pie, as well, so many of those collaborations benefit us in particular.

Soldato

Foreign students wont have the funding to come over here as they do now and we would also lose about 30% of our funding which we get through a EU body. If a project were to move to an eu country from the UK after we left, it would cheaper, easier, better funded and also would have a constant supply of the best research students from Europe at its fingertips.

Soldato
Actually this isn't correct. EU funds make up a relatively small proportion of UK science funding (I forget the exact figure, but IIRC it's in the region of 5%); it's just that it's a particularly valuable kind of funding because it supporters inter-European collaborations and those collaborations are extremely valuable. The UK gets a disproportionately large slice of the EU funding pie, as well, so many of those collaborations benefit us in particular.

There is a lot of privately funded research which is arguably useless and should not be included because it has no scientific gain and is only being researched to eventually print out a fact sheet to push one politicians or companies agenda against another.

The amount of funding the EU gives should not be underestimated and it should be mentioned that many very innovative projects from young researchers are funded through the EU because private funding is not an option. Either the research does not seem profitable or marketable to private funders or the researcher does not have the experience and reputation under their belt to be considered for any investment. The EU funds loads of projects small and large and the application system is fair. Small innovative groups who are looking to bridge one field with another but do not have an end product designed to put on the market will not receive funding from most of the people looking to invest.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The amount of funding the EU gives should not be underestimated and it should be mentioned that many very innovative projects from young researchers are funded through the EU because private funding is not an option. Either the research does not seem profitable or marketable to private funders or the researcher does not have the experience and reputation under their belt to be considered for any investment. The EU funds loads of projects small and large and the application system is fair. Small innovative groups who are looking to bridge one field with another but do not have an end product designed to put on the market will not receive funding from most of the people looking to invest.

I'm not saying EU funding isn't important, only that it isn't that large a slice of the pie. Although looking up the figures, it's slightly larger than I thought (~10% of University research income):

figure-12_zpsrowqubyh.jpg

From here.

Soldato
Yes but once you take away the funding for research which is essentially just to push agendas, the slice of the pie looks much bigger.

It is the talent that we will lose that is also of great concern. I cant see the UK government willing to foot the bill to poor foreign aspiring students after they raised tuition caps for the locals a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom