The EU Referendum: Polling Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Voted Remain.

If we leave and everything goes to ** Fully star out all swearing **I'll be making use of my dual British/French nationality by going to live in France.

At least France has better weather, better healthcare, better trains/motorways, better food, better workers rights etc etc, but apparently Europe is ** Fully Star out all swearing **

Why are you not all-ready there then?

Soldato
Out.

I just cant wait for all the ridiculous self righteous facebook posts trying to convince others how to vote to go away. When did facebook become a political soapbox rather than just somewhere to upload stupid drunken photos.

Soldato
The British everyman... is not fit to take this type of decision. Why do you think we elect people? Do you think that time when your mechanic mechanic messed your transmission was bad? How would you like to see him mess up the country's monetary policy?!

So you'd rather be a technocracy, run by experts who the general public had no choice in choosing? A bit like China?

Associate
Please explain for a betting noob:D

Two 'outright' markets means people betting (staking) on UK to either leave or remain in the EU. We'd had around 120k staked on the leave market and 800k odd on the remain. Odds been changing all day, leave was 9/2 this morning and drifted to 7/1 at one point (when I backed it:D #value).

Basically stick a tenner on @ 7/1, get 70 winnings back + 10 original stake.

Soldato
So you'd rather be a technocracy, run by experts who the general public had no choice in choosing? A bit like China?

In this country we've been spoiled by the general lack of corruption in our society, we're far too trusting of people in power to do the right thing and not abuse that power. We only need to look at the recent FIFA scandal to see power can corrupt, and that sort of corruption in somewhere like the EU would be much harder to do anything about

Soldato

No, I'm not advocating a technocracy, I'm advocating having politicians that do their job rather than hiding behind popular wisdom.

China is not run by technocrats, it is run by feudal lords.

Soldato
How is it a bargaining chip? For what exactly?
The EU is in desperate position and it will force them into offering what we want. They ultimately don't want to come off worse from this and keeping strong trade ties with the UK is in their interest. They will also have large business lobbying them to do this. I hate the EU lobbying and corruption but it will actually work in our favour with a leave vote. The big picture is the UK leaving will certainly break up the EU or put it in a position with very high centralisation where governments can not be even allowed to have these kind of votes.

Soldato
Two 'outright' markets means people betting (staking) on UK to either leave or remain in the EU. We'd had around 120k staked on the leave market and 800k odd on the remain. Odds been changing all day, leave was 9/2 this morning and drifted to 7/1 at one point (when I backed it:D #value).

Basically stick a tenner on @ 7/1, get 70 winnings back + 10 original stake.

And your post said if we remain the bookies lose lots and we leave the bookies win loads?

Hmm, so the money went to remain and the odds shortened, making a remain victory look more likely, so more people bet on it, but actually doesn't mean anything regarding the result and bookies generally win....

Not sure why everyone seems confident of a remain win then?

Soldato
The British everyman... is not fit to take this type of decision. Why do you think we elect people? Do you think that time when your mechanic mechanic messed your transmission was bad? How would you like to see him mess up the country's monetary policy?!

I agree with Zethor. No one is talking about having a bunch of random experts running everything. But we elect people who are experts in their field (economics, politics whatever) so why does it not stand to reason that they should make the decision based on their expertise and view of the bigger picture which is going to be, in general, not apparent to the general public?

In this country we've been spoiled by the general lack of corruption in our society, we're far too trusting of people in power to do the right thing and not abuse that power. We only need to look at the recent FIFA scandal to see power can corrupt, and that sort of corruption in somewhere like the EU would be much harder to do anything about

Agreed, and that's why I think having two branches of government influence is less risky than having one with absolute control.

Associate
Yeah that's correct @Freakbro, as someone earlier in the thread said, odds are pretty much dictated by the money being staked into the market. Doesn't mean a whole lot really (as we learnt this with the GE).

In general terms, favourites winning = bad for bookies, longshots = good.

Soldato
The EU is in desperate position and it will force them into offering what we want. They ultimately don't want to come off worse from this and keeping strong trade ties with the UK is in their interest. They will also have large business lobbying them to do this. I hate the EU lobbying and corruption but it will actually work in our favour with a leave vote.

The EU and our own government have said 'out is out'. There is no bargaining position so I don't think it will force them into offering us anything. Using this vote as a protest vote with that aim in mind is based on false reasoning.

Soldato
Just got home after voting of course.

For Democracy, Sovereignty and the British people.

I voted IN!

So you voted for democracy and sovereignty by opting for the option that aims to take both those hard fought freedoms away? Yeah, that makes complete sense. :confused:

But hey, each to their own and all that.

Soldato
Out.

I just cant wait for all the ridiculous self righteous facebook posts trying to convince others how to vote to go away. When did facebook become a political soapbox rather than just somewhere to upload stupid drunken photos.

So true, it's disgusting to see people trying to sway other people's votes. I've actually had to reassesss a couple of friendships due to machiavellian tactics.

Soldato
I think no matter the result you are going to be disappointed.

Nate

Certainly not. It is widely accepted we are not even the most eurosceptical. We certainly won't be the last to leave.

I laughed at some young guy earlier mouthing off at a leave campaigner. The EU represents everything wrong with corruption, lobbying, big business and lack of innovation (European paradox). If he realised this he wouldn't be so keen to support it. So much money is being wasted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom