Poll: The EU Referendum: What Will You Vote? (New Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here, but if they're produced in the UK to be sold in the EU, then having an import/export duty would be a cost for these companies to deal with right?

I think he was getting at if BMW opened a production site in the UK. To avoid import tariffs into the UK. Earlier graph suggested BMW exports £16bn cars to the UK annually.

Soldato
I think he was getting at if BMW opened a production site in the UK. To avoid import tariffs into the UK. Earlier graph suggested BMW exports £16bn cars to the UK annually.

correct.

there is also the issue of parts they ship here for Rolls-royce, mini etc.

look let's not **** about the UK car market is very important for Germany - this country has a 40 billion euro trade deficit with Germany.

Caporegime
Exactly, cars produced in the UK, exported into the EU may be subject to tariffs if we leave.

But there we go again, if, may etc.

I don't see this as a likely outcome at all, I'm not even sure if it'd be legal for the EU to do that under WTO rules. In any case, they would be cutting their nose off to spite their face as we'd would just respond in kind and a trade war is in literally no-ones interest

Associate
I am dubious as to the validity of your sources. Here is Orban saying something similar but sharply distinct:

On the subject of social benefits for migrant workers (an expression that makes Orbán wince when applied to Hungarians working in the UK), he announced that the Visegrád 4 countries had achieved their objective of ensuring EU citizens continue to have the right to work anywhere in the bloc without obstruction. He offered as proof of success the fact that Hungarians working in other EU countries would have access to social services “without discrimination.” Thanks to the results achieved at the summit, Hungarians working abroad would “continue to receive what they paid for to date”, in other words, there would be no roll-back in benefits for Hungarians already working in the UK.

Orbán said that in the case of families with children working in Great Britain, it was agreed that the level of social support they receive would be adjusted to reflect disparities in the cost of living in the case of those foreign workers whose children are living in another country. He said families living in the UK with their children would continue to receive the same benefits as British families with children.​

There is a translation of Orban's entire address to the Hungarian parliament here where it verifies what he says is a true translation. Obviously, I don't speak Hungarian so you have to take things at face value but the entire transcript is here:

http://przegladse.pl/?p=5072

Here is a link from 2013 where "David Cameron will use a keynote speech to warn immigrants that they can no longer expect "something for nothing" ;)
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron-unveils-new-immigration-crackdown-8547822.html

Another broken promise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having the government machinery behind them gives us a considerable advantage over the Leave campaign. Yes, at the end of the day, it is one man, one vote but the result of that result will be swung by the campaign that proceeds it.

Cameron's decision is making the campaign less fair.

Well just look at this thread. People here seem resolute. They've made their minds up already and to be honest, most people up and down the country probably already know which way they are going to vote. There's only the few undecided that may be swayed by Cameron or his opposition. So I have to disagree with you that Cameron taking a stand on this is not making the campaign less fair. He's simply drawn a line and stated his intention. He only has one vote just like the rest of us.

Permabanned
I don't see this as a likely outcome at all, I'm not even sure if it'd be legal for the EU to do that under WTO rules. In any case, they would be cutting their nose off to spite their face as we'd would just respond in kind and a trade war is in literally no-ones interest

Bingo, isn't that point, we leave, each side imposes tariffs, no one wins, we lose.

Why not stay?

Man of Honour
But there we go again, if, may etc.

This is always going to be the case, but just because it is uncertain doesn't mean it's not something that should be taken seriously.

To have a rational and reasoned decision we need to identify both the risk and the likelihood of them happening to properly assess the risk factor. You can't have an informed decision without both.

Permabanned
This is always going to be the case, but just because it is uncertain doesn't mean it's not something that should be taken seriously.

To have a rational and reasoned decision we need to identify both the risk and the likelihood of them happening to properly assess the risk factor. You can't have an informed decision without both.

I agree with you.

To be honest, I can raise arguments for and against, I don't know how i will vote.

Caporegime
I know you are an exponent of supply an demand, if less immigrants mean increased wages, what will that do to the price of goods?

Not much I expect, price is determined by market value rather than cost per unit plus. I'm not expecting any massive wage increases btw, we have a huge oversupply of labour atm and it'll take time for the size of the labour force to normalise again

Soldato
Bingo, isn't that point, we leave, each side imposes tariffs, no one wins, we lose.

Why not stay?

Why are those the only possible outcomes? How about we leave but no one imposes tarrifs as its in no ones interest? If they do impose tarrifs then that says a lot about the club we joined that it would stoop so low and damage itself a lot in order to do some damage to the UK

Caporegime

Why not stay?

Imo the most likely outcome of a brexit is we leave, we go on trading with the EU as we do now, we agree trade deals with other countries, we control our own destiny, the EU can progress with its ever closer union without us complaining all the time, everyone is happy

Man of Honour
Why are those the only possible outcomes? How about we leave but no one imposes tarrifs as its in no ones interest? If they do impose tarrifs then that says a lot about the club we joined that it would stoop so low and damage itself a lot in order to do some damage to the UK

Because the EU has been pretty clear that they will not sign free trade deal without free movement being a condition whether we like that or not.

Permabanned

Why would the EU and its member states want to allow a Britain outside of the EU export goods to it cheaper than the member states can supply itself.

Take steel for example, the EU is being heavily damaged by cheap Chinese imports, do you think they would allow cheap UK imports?

Permabanned
I'm voting out personally.

I do think it's unfair that the Goverment has agreed it's up to the public to decide if they want to stay in or leave... then campaigns to stay in.. it's it's upto the public then let them decide? Otherwise it's just a bit biased?

I haven't seen a list of pros and cons but what i want to know is...If we vote out what happens to us in the eurovision? :D

Caporegime
Because the EU has been pretty clear that they will not sign free trade deal without free movement being a condition whether we like that or not.

I've not seen any such indication and in any case, at this stage such an indication can only be treated as pressure for a stay vote, or an opening negotiation position.

Soldato
Why would the EU and its member states want to allow a Britain outside of the EU export goods to it cheaper than the member states can supply itself.

Take steel for example, the EU is being heavily damaged by cheap Chinese imports, do you think they would allow cheap UK imports?

Because EU exports more goods to the UK than UK does to EU? Does the UK not have a power hand in that respects?

Soldato
Imo the most likely outcome of a brexit is we leave, we go on trading with the EU as we do now, we agree trade deals with other countries, we control our own destiny, the EU can progress with its ever closer union without us complaining all the time, everyone is happy

In a free market world that might even happen, personally I'd not expect a brexit to be without turmoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom