The 'Everything Adobe Lightroom' Thread

Soldato
Hi Stevo.let me know how you get on ,i have been using Aperture because i like the layout and the nice display options with music etc,but i got free lightroom with my new camera so will try it out.wondering if you can do similar type of displays.
all the best

Hi man sorry for the long delay in reply, to put it in short i am using LR and i like it but i didnt transfer my old photos, it just didnt seem like it was worth it transfering over old photos so i have archived them on a Portable HD.

Need some advice people, my iMac is starting to show its age so am looking at going to PC again, apart from transferring over my LR Library from mac to pc am wondering about my monitor, am use to working with a 1920x1200 screen but monitors with 1080p seem to be the norm, how many of you are using a 1080p screen and can you with work with lightroom ok on it :confused:

Soldato

No heard anything from them about 6 yet, however if you were planning on the upgrade to 5 then why not sign up for the Creative Cloud for Photography deal they have at the moment?

£105 for 12 months access to full versions of Lightroom and Photoshop combined. So if they bring out LR 6 you'll get it anyway, and if not then you've got 5.

https://creative.adobe.com/plans?tt=v8&store_code=uk

Soldato
do you guys use PhotoShop much along with lightroom?

Just looking at options to upgrade my lightroom 4 to 5 for Fuji support. It's cheaper to just get an upgrade license but the current CC offer is tempting. I'm just not sure how much I'd use photoshop.

Soldato
Quick question.

I was touching up some photos yesterday, I exported into photoshop (from lightroom) then saved. It saves back as a .tiff.

Is there anyway of editing in photoshop then saving back into lightroom in raw format?

Soldato
It was just some spot healing.

Is there any degradation of quality saving as .tiff then compressing to .jpg (other than the degradation you'd expect to see converting to .jpg).

Not to my knowledge.

Lightroom can deal with spot healing BTW. Guessing you know that and it was bad enough to need PS, but I thought I'd put it out there!

Man of Honour
Lightroom's spot heal and adjustment brushes are quite powerful, I'd get to grips with them more if you've not explored them fully but PS still does it in greater depth.

I tend to right click > edit in Photoshop as opposed to export to PS then once saved it imports the changes back into LR as a PSD stacked with the RAW. I find no loss in image quality but it's worth noting that from that poit onwards the slider changes for exposure, WB and so on are all zeroed so copy pasting adjustment changes from another RAW in LR to that edited image won't give the same results as they will only properly apply to RAW files.

Only gripe I have with the cross app sharing in this manner really.

Soldato
Lightroom's spot heal and adjustment brushes are quite powerful, I'd get to grips with them more if you've not explored them fully but PS still does it in greater depth.

I tend to right click > edit in Photoshop as opposed to export to PS then once saved it imports the changes back into LR as a PSD stacked with the RAW. I find no loss in image quality but it's worth noting that from that poit onwards the slider changes for exposure, WB and so on are all zeroed so copy pasting adjustment changes from another RAW in LR to that edited image won't give the same results as they will only properly apply to RAW files.

Only gripe I have with the cross app sharing in this manner really.

I use the same method to edit in photoshop, Mrk.

I have tried the spot healing in Lightroom but it was almost as if it was just copy and pasting from one part of the image into another. I know this is essentially what PS does but it didn't look quite right in lightroom (although I didn't actually try it with these particular pics).

Associate
Quick question on backups.

I keep all my RAWs and .jpegs in sub directories of the main LR5 folder. So the program, RAW, finished photos, library etc are all in one place. I currently just copy this whole thing to an external drive each time I use the computer.

Is this sufficient? If I suffer a loss on the main drive will I be able to just copy it back and fire it up as if nothign has happened?

Man of Honour
Your catalog is where all the magic happens. As long as your catalog folder is intact then your edits and keyboard shortcuts, custom presets and so on will be restored when you reload your catalog in Lightroom. This is asusming your RAW files are imported into the same location too.

I have my RAWs saved on a documents drive but my catalog on the OS drive which is an SSD for maximum performance. Lightroom backs up and optimises the catalog on every exit and a couple times a month I'll back up my documents drive to external backup via mirrored sync so I've got a backup of a backup of sorts, if that makes sense.

As long as your RAW files location and the catalog is where they should be post disaster recovery then you can resume as if nothing ever happened.

Soldato
I have all my photos on the same SSD as Lightroom and my catalog, thought in a different filder. On exit it saves the catalog backup to my Google drive folder. I also keep a backup on my server along with a copy of everything on my portable HDD.

Back
Top Bottom