The 'Everything Adobe Lightroom' Thread

Soldato
Guys, I've just bought some additional (1TB) Google Drive space, so I can back up all my photos to it.

Thing is, Google Drive is a goit. It won't let me point to a folder that already has stuff in it. How do I move all my photos, which I've just plonked in the library as folders (no smart collections etc.), and not lose all my processing? Is it easy? I don't dare do it without knowing before hand what is going to happen.

Strangely I was just talking to a friend about cloud backup, and google drive. I *think* spanning (www.spanning.com) is a solution to backup existing folders to drive and allow them to stay where they are.

Soldato
Cheers - I've actually just sorted it.

I created a new Google Drive folder, then just moved the files. If you right click on the folders that Lightroom thinks are now missing files, you can just point it to the new folder. You can right click and show the parents folder too, if need be.

It's now got 23k files to sync. :p

Soldato
On further investigation it looks like spanning actually backs up your google drive account to amazon rather than allowing you to sync an existing folder :(

Soldato
No, they're all still there. I just moved the files to where I wanted them to be (within my Google Drive folder) and then in Lightroom told them where they now lived. Seemed to be no bother at all! Plus, $12 a month for 1 TB seems pretty good to me.

Soldato
The files are still on my HDD - it appears that guy did something a bit unexpected and not quite understandable when he first set it up. I can't see that it can go wrong in the way I've done it - it appears to be uploading and it's using up the space I've purchased. Well, hopefully, anyway. :p

Soldato
This isn't strictly Lightroom related but does anyone have a link for a good guide on techniques to clone out parts of photos that you don't want using Photoshop? So far I've made do with using the cloning tool in Lightroom but it's a bit cumbersome for larger things.

Soldato
Just made the full switch to LR from Aperture, i have been using LR for a few month but i left all my Aperture photos there well i moved them all over and everything is fine and dandy. Am just sorting out my Backing up and could use some thoughts and theories from the people in the know.

Am working on a 2009 iMac and my total photo Gb is about 100Gb (i keep it clean an delete useless photos). I have a 1Tb Time capsule that backs up everything on the iMac using Time Machine, a 2Tb Firewire drive thats backs up every photo Imported when in imported in to LR and a 1TB Passport USB that backs up the Catalog on closing the App.......... Am i missing anything ??

Caporegime
What do everyone else's adjustment brush options look like? I've been annoyed at the lack of options in it for months but didn't realise until today that mine appears to be different to most others...

Mine looks like this:

lightroom_problem.jpg

And lacks white balance adjustment, highlights and shadows and a few other bits compared to the others I've seen like in the link - http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/0...lective-adjustments-effects-in-lightroom.html

Is there a setting I'm missing? Using the standalone Lightroom 5.6. My GF runs 5.6 CC and has all the options...

Permabanned
Been having some weird issues with lightroom lately... when trying to import images, it will simply not load the files properly & just sitting eating RAM and 10-20% CPU without doing anything at all...

W5R9Kdu.png

Click on import and all that happens is the CPU & RAM figures spike... but the import bar stops moving and nothing is actually imported.

Quit lightroom, and all that happens is the process moves from foreground process to a background process:
3EMDYO4.png

It will sit like this for days if left for its own devices... have to force close the process. In these screenshots, the RAM usage is quite low compared to normal... it usually sits nearer 1GB

It started happening when I was running 6.0.1... updated to 6.1... downgraded to 5.7... new/existing LR catalogues etc... all doing the same thing.

For a while it was OK importing 100 images at a time instead of the full load... then it wouldn't load that... but it was OK importing 10 images at a time... now it won't even load 7 :S

Latest updated version of W8.1 etc... 3 different versions of LR... 3 different hard drives... quite annoying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom