The Evil Within

Soldato
Cheers trentlad.

I'm finding the game pretty tough, admittedly I'm playing on survivor difficulty but wow ammo is so scarce. I manage to accumulate some but then blow it all on my next enemy encounter. If there's a group I'm screwed as melee is useless.

Soldato
I'm nearing the end of chapter 5 (well I think I am, been playing it for around an hour) and I honestly haven't got a clue whats going on. I keep changing from a hospital place, to a blood and body filled place, then back again (over and over) with absolutely no explanation. The dialogue of the character is also hilariously bad for his situation.

My favourite so far has been "there's something wrong with this place" after running away from ruvik and killing at least 15 enemies who were raised out of blood.

I really wish the storyline wasn't so disjointed. Its like each chapter has been made by a different set of programmers and each one went off of a basic brief instead of knowing what was in the previous chapters so they could chop and change the story direction to suit it. Very odd game, but having said all that, chapter 5 is fairly enjoyable at the moment, but I wouldn't say it was scary though.

Man of Honour
My Amazon Fighting Chance version with OST arrived last week but I returned it for a refund the moment I read about the bugs which are still not fixed.

Didn't even unwrap the seal. Won't even buy it o a bargain bin STEAM sale out of principal now.

Soldato
I have been reading this game is VV bad on PC. Seems like an attempt to cross breed Resident Evil gameplay with the aesthetic of Silent Hill.

Can anyone recommend it, or is it just a case of wait for patches and a Steam sale?

Soldato
I have been reading this game is VV bad on PC. Seems like an attempt to cross breed Resident Evil gameplay with the aesthetic of Silent Hill.

Can anyone recommend it, or is it just a case of wait for patches and a Steam sale?

It's definitely a cross between both games. The game gets better after the first two chapters (around 2 hours gameplay) but has some really unnecessary boss encounters that really force you to waste all your ammo and struggle from that point on. The controls arent bad but the camera angle makes dead space 1 look forgiving lol. If you enjoyed both resident evil and silent hill, you might enjoy it despite its flaws. The storyline makes absolutely no sense though!

Associate
Game works fine for me on my 3 year old PC, with the exception of the splash/intro video locking up the application until it's finished. The same thing happened with Rage though so it's an engine/Bink decoder issue mixed with something on my PC it doesn't like.

I get some FPS drops in areas but my Pc is 3 years old now and I didn't get a cutting edge card back then so I'm happy enough.

It's not as good as Resident Evil 4 but i'm enjoying it a lot :)

Soldato
Any offical patches yet to fix the screen?
None whatsoever. There was a vague response on Bethesda official forums where they said they are working on FPS patches for all versions but nothing since. They are still gathering info but the no 1 issue for most people is the FPS + Aspect Ratio. Then its also unstable for several of us the saves get corrupted :eek:

This free app fixes widescreen issues but works best on Nvidia GPU's.
http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/index.php/Flawless_Widescreen

Soldato
The story is just bonkers in this game. It's like a mish-mash of different encounters just stuck together with zero explanation of what the heck it's all about. Very strange.

Even from the first chapter and the journey begins into madness you don't get any clue what is happening and why you meet the bosses you have to, it's all very bizarre.

Soldato
The story is just bonkers in this game. It's like a mish-mash of different encounters just stuck together with zero explanation of what the heck it's all about. Very strange.

Even from the first chapter and the journey begins into madness you don't get any clue what is happening and why you meet the bosses you have to, it's all very bizarre.

Thats my opinion on this too. The storyline makes absolutely no sense lol.

Soldato
Its typical japanese survival horror feels like a mid 2000s PS2 game with better gfx but so many glitches after 4 years this is all they could produce! 10/10 for atmosphere but everything else is just not triple aaa quality IMO.

Soldato
Finally found out the hard way why its so unstable :eek:

1: Disable all ingame AA that causes the unpredictable crashes for me anyway on Nvidia 344.11WHQL Win 7 x64. Part of chapter 5 is broken with SMAA anyway you cannot see the screen at all its blurred allover. Terrible QA they obviously never tested that in any way its game breaking :(
2: Do not use the dev console at all. Add the commands to the .cfg file on your PC instead binding them to keys if you need to.
3: Do not use any trainers as they cause save game profile corruption. Add the builtin cheats to the local .cfg file then bind keys to them.
4: Do not use the Flawless Widescreen aspect ratio fixes it also causes save game profile corruption as it works by memory hacking on the fly. The game detects this & corrupts your saves in certain places making them unuseable.
5: Do not breath EVER & I mean EVER when playing this game ;) not even once :eek: incase it breaks the save game system & or causes the universe to implode due to space time mystery vortex butterfly effect;)

The game must contain strong anti cheat detection which also picks up legit fixes. Anyway I have found play the game with those massive black letterboxes & no mods/fixes with a brand new profile (delete your old one its most likely corrupt somewhere mine was!).

Now finally the game is stable :rolleyes: its still dated in places but also a playable survival horror game which heavily rips off Silent Hill 2-5 on PC as well as Resident Evil 4.

Associate
What a disappointment this game seems to have become.

As a fan of the old style Resident Evil games I had high hopes for this game but have been holding off buying it for the very reasons people seem to be slating it for.

Looks like I'll be giving it a miss.... What a shame :( :(

Soldato
Well the consoles have received a patch that really buffs up their performance. It's apparently 30-40% faster on the PS 4 now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...patch-evil-within-we-hope-you-will-never-play

There may be hope for the PC version.

Although EuroGamer still has this to say about the game, even after the patch.
The final patched version has significant performance issues, but when you look at their starting point it suddenly feels like quite a remarkable accomplishment. The game has been in development for quite some time, but this certainly suggests that the team wasn't yet ready to ship. With such dramatic strides made between version 1.0 and 1.01, it certainly seems possible that the development team could improve things further and potentially clean up the remaining issues. We hope that it is given the opportunity to do so - especially when considering the lacklustre PC version of the game.

Back
Top Bottom