The FA CUP Fifth Round ** Spoilers ** [16th - 19th February 2018] + Replays

Soldato
Wigan will probably get some punishment for the pitch invasion, and that's quite right, that's not acceptable, but City should get the worse punishment, their fans were by the far the more aggressive and violent. Missiles were being thrown before the game even finished.

Permabanned
I don't know a single time when a City player changed the decision of any referee. Plus, players are not allowed to speak with the referee at all.
Wigan must be investigated over this and the proper decision must be made.

The match should finish with extra time and penalties.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't know a single time when a City player changed the decision of any referee. Plus, players are not allowed to speak with the referee at all.

Not sure if you are serious. Players are constantly shouting at the ref when a decision is made against them and every team has got a ref to give yellows/reds they weren't going to. If you think City aren't as bad as everyone else you are deluded.

Soldato
Not sure if you are serious. Players are constantly shouting at the ref when a decision is made against them and every team has got a ref to give yellows/reds they weren't going to. If you think City aren't as bad as everyone else you are deluded.

After the tackle the ref was surrounded by Wigan players trying to get him sent off. I agree it's all teams and a massive problem in football, doesn't seem any of the governing bodies have the balls to stamp out crowding/being disrespectful to the ref.

fez

fez

Caporegime
After the tackle the ref was surrounded by Wigan players trying to get him sent off. I agree it's all teams and a massive problem in football, doesn't seem any of the governing bodies have the balls to stamp out crowding/being disrespectful to the ref.

Thats what happens after every bad tackle. Thats what happens whenever a player is on a yellow and commits any sort of foul. I would be amazed if the Wigan players had anything to do with it being a red. Chances are that someone in his earpiece told him that Delph was out of control and came in with studs showing. Refs are not weak minded idiots that ask the players what a decision should be.

Soldato

Well I mean sure but if you want to go down that route then I don't think there's a player on the pitch who isn't receiving a banning.

Soldato
Thats what happens after every bad tackle. Thats what happens whenever a player is on a yellow and commits any sort of foul. I would be amazed if the Wigan players had anything to do with it being a red. Chances are that someone in his earpiece told him that Delph was out of control and came in with studs showing. Refs are not weak minded idiots that ask the players what a decision should be.

I agree it was probably a red card and i doubt that the Wigan players altered the reds decision. I just wish football would show the refs some more respect, the way they shout at them is disgusting.

Soldato

I take it this is a wind up the match finished in normal time and the score as Wigan 1 man city 0 . So you don't get extra time or pens you only get that when the scores are level at full time city lost get over it

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I agree it was probably a red card and i doubt that the Wigan players altered the reds decision. I just wish football would show the refs some more respect, the way they shout at them is disgusting.

Totally agree but I think its taught and encouraged from an early age certainly in England so to suddenly stop it might be hard. To be fair, if they took a 0 tolerance approach to it then it would probably stop quite quickly. Rooney was/is appalling for it. You can see the vitriol and swearing on his little potato face clear as day.

Don
Taylor is weak minded though. He was the ref that gave the penalty in the Burnley game last season when the attacking player handled the ball - Sky done a show where Neville and Carra spent the day with the refs and in that he admitted he knew straight away from the players reactions that he'd made a mistake and was desperately hoping for one of his assistants to give him something to enable him to change his mind.

You're right, last night one of his assistants probably did tell him something but the problem is, just like with the penalty I mentioned above and similar to Moss for Spurs' 2nd penalty at Anfield, Taylor saw the challenge and very quickly and clearly made his decision that it was going to be a yellow card. Why is he allowing the linesman to overrule him? Assistants are there to assist not to make decisions over the refs head - if the ref doesn't see an incident or isn't sure then he takes the advice of his assistants but the fact that Taylor's got his yellow out straight away shows that he was happy that he saw the incident well enough to make a decision.

Taylor's bottle went (again) - he saw the reaction of the Wigan players, panicked and looked for a reason to change his mind.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Taylor saw the challenge and very quickly and clearly made his decision that it was going to be a yellow card. Why is he allowing the linesman to overrule him? Assistants are there to assist not to make decisions over the refs head - if the ref doesn't see an incident or isn't sure then he takes the advice of his assistants but the fact that Taylor's got his yellow out straight away shows that he was happy that he saw the incident well enough to make a decision.

Taylor's bottle went (again) - he saw the reaction of the Wigan players, panicked and looked for a reason to change his mind.

Not sure thats entirely true. That was a nasty challenge and whatever view you have of that, its a yellow at the very very minimum. Thats what I assume the ref saw and decided and then if one of his assistants comes on the radio and says studs were up and he didn't see that then his decision changes from an overenthusiastic challenge and a yellow to a dangerous one and a red. A linesman probably isn't saying "mate, thats a red" hes probably saying that his studs were up and giving him more information about the challenge.

Don
Not sure thats entirely true. That was a nasty challenge and whatever view you have of that, its a yellow at the very very minimum. Thats what I assume the ref saw and decided and then if one of his assistants comes on the radio and says studs were up and he didn't see that then his decision changes from an overenthusiastic challenge and a yellow to a dangerous one and a red. A linesman probably isn't saying "mate, thats a red" hes probably saying that his studs were up and giving him more information about the challenge.
I'm not debating whether the red was right or not. Also the 'studs are up" thing doesn't equal a red either - Taylor only gave a free-kick for a studs up challenge on Aguero earlier in the half.

The point I'm making is that we know that Taylor saw the incident well enough to make a decision without any help from the officials because he got his yellow out straight away. Whether the lino is saying "it's a red" or "his studs were showing" is irrelevant. The linesman's view or opinion on the challenge is just as likely to be right or wrong as Taylor's so why has he taken the lino's view over his own? The only reason for Taylor to take the lino's view over his would be if he wasn't sure and his lino was but the fact that he got his yellow out so quickly shows that he was sure, at least sure enough to make a decision. The reality though is his bottle went and he took the easy way out rather than back himself.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm not debating whether the red was right or not. Also the 'studs are up" thing doesn't equal a red either - Taylor only gave a free-kick for a studs up challenge on Aguero earlier in the half.

Did the tackle come flying in at a dangerous speed and was it uncontrolled. I'm not saying a studs up challenge is an automatic red but once you are steaming in with no control you will get a red if your studs are up.

The point I'm making is that we know that Taylor saw the incident well enough to make a decision without any help from the officials because he got his yellow out straight away. [/QUOTE]

Thats the part I don't agree about. You can see an incident well enough to give a card without it being the correct card. You don't have to be 100% sure that you have seen everything to make a decision.

Whether the lino is saying "it's a red" or "his studs were showing" is irrelevant. The linesman's view or opinion on the challenge is just as likely to be right or wrong as Taylor's so why has he taken the lino's view over his own?

Because the linesman says "his studs were up" and Taylor didn't see that. Perhaps he thought they might have been but wasn't sure. I don't know how you think that the linesmans view is just as likely to be right or wrong as the refs. The referee has to make a decision, the linesman doesn't have to say anything and I'm pretty sure they don't say anything to the ref unless they are sure. There are better places to be to see a foul in football and sometimes the ref will have the better view and sometimes the linesman will.

The only reason for Taylor to take the lino's view over his would be if he wasn't sure and his lino was but the fact that he got his yellow out so quickly shows that he was sure, at least sure enough to make a decision. The reality though is his bottle went and he took the easy way out rather than back himself.

Referees get their cards out very quickly all the time and still get decisions wrong. I'm sure they think their decision is correct but that doesn't mean that if one of their team gives them more info they won't use it.

Don
You're missing the point. The fact that Taylor has got his yellow out straight away and even began writing Delph's name shows you that he saw the incident well enough to make a decision without the need to ask for any assistance from anybody. Obviously when looking at the challenge he didn't believe the challenge used excessive force or risked injuring the Wigan player. He didn't need any more info. Now you can argue that he'd have got the decision wrong but that's another matter. Given the importance of the decision he was making, had he not been fully satisfied that he saw it well enough or there was any doubts in his mind, he would have spoke to his assistants to ask them for any input before making a decision. He didn't though - he got his card straight out.

There's only two possible answers and neither do Taylor any favours. He was either going to make a potential game changing decision without being sure about what he was doing and his lino saved him at the last minute or his bottle went when the Wigan players surrounded him, he doubted himself and took the lino's view over his own.

Associate
Gotta keep the match interesting. Can't have Spurs taking the lead so early on and starting a slaughter. Let's disallow it and keep the suspense.

I'm sorry but if Llorente fouled the defender to have the goal disallowed, then we should have just had a penalty for the arm across Moura. That was more of a foul, and that's saying something!

Back
Top Bottom