• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** THE FIRST FREESYNC MONITOR ARRIVES AT OcUK!! **

Up until my Acer 4k2k I had never, in 35 years of gaming EVER bought a monitor costing more than £200. Won't go into up to 2010, but 2010 and I jumped on the 1080p wagon for £139 and bought my Hannspree 24" 1080p. It was more than good enough.

Had, six months later, Freesync come along for £139 more I would have 100% bought into it. Why not? it's only £139. A treat if you will. But with an entrance fee of £499? it doesn't seem so appealing.

And me? well I'm mostly Joe Public. It's me you need to convince, not those who will open their wallets to anything costing stupid money.

Edit. To solidify my point, my ACTUAL argument (other than the one people started, then started answering for me, cheers for that !!). In 2012 I bought a LG passive 3D screen. 24" 1080p no better than the Hannspree. But it was passive 3D. Cost £143. I was more than happy to pay another £143 for 3D as I didn't have it. Had it been £499? forget it....
Adaptation will take time...so what if they are starting with the high-quality/price segment monitor first? Unless you know for certain that the 1920 res monitors will not adapt and support Freesync in the future, I don't know why you want to keep making a fuss.

But this has to be laid at the monitor makers feet, I mean why would they start with the cheaper 1080p freesync screens when they can release the premium ones first cash in on all the early adopters before then trickling out the more affordable ones for the those that want it but not at premium prices.

I believe what he is trying to say is that until it is included as standard on every panel(£100, 1080p Panels) he does not see it as free as you have to purchase a premium panel to obtain the Freesync feature. Nothing to do with Gsync.

Correct me if I am wrong Andy.

If this is the case then,its the monitor manufactur's to take issue with then.

The current pricing of the few freesync monitors available is totally reasonable within the panel specs they are available on.But yea these are high-end premium monitors,and freesync(like gysnc) cant really take off properly until its available on the mass market products(1080p panels) rather than current niche ones(1440p)

Definatly need Benq/acer/asus ect to get some 1080p monitors with freesync ASAP

Adaptation will take time...so what if they are starting with the high-quality/price segment monitor first? Unless you know for certain that the 1920 res monitors will not adapt and support Freesync in the future, I don't know why you want to keep making a fuss.

Doesn't matter how long it takes, £499 is too much for a free technology to rival the one Nvidia charge for. The same one you can get for £499 with 4k and god knows what else. This is the argument you've so vehemently wanted to drag me into !

I've already said that if you feel it's worth £499 then go ahead but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. And it's me you need to convince.

When AMD slated it they did it in their typical narcissistic fashion, berating Nvidia trying to make them look stupid. Well guess what? as usual it's back fired and *they* look stupid.

How much do you expect a 1440p / 144hz monitor to be, out of interest?
Far cheaper than a 4k G-Sync one.
Doesn't matter how long it takes, £499 is too much for a free technology to rival the one Nvidia charge for. The same one you can get for £499 with 4k and god knows what else. This is the argument you've so vehemently wanted to drag me into !

I've already said that if you feel it's worth £499 then go ahead but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. And it's me you need to convince.

When AMD slated it they did it in their typical narcissistic fashion, berating Nvidia trying to make them look stupid. Well guess what? as usual it's back fired and *they* look stupid.
So I guess all the people who went with the Asus ROG Swift 2560x1440 144Hz at £650-£700 over the 4K Gysnc monitor at £500 are fools then?

Also, I doubt AMD actually dictate which monitors would adapt Freesync first, but rather, monitor manufacturer decide which model of monitors to put freesync in first base on what make most sense from business point of view.

I have been wanting up upgrade to 21:9 IPS monitor for a long time, as well as the sync feature to become available...and guess what? LG are realeasing them with freesync.

The 34" 21:9 is too big for me, so I've waiting the 29" 21:9 with freesync, which if following the the 34" model's pricing, it should not cost more than around £300, as that's the price for thir 29" 21:9 without freesync.

Last edited:
That's because it isn't out yet.

Feeling brave? only costs £499........

Good old salesman techniques.

Not that brave, also having a 970 might be an issue.., thought gibbo said next day delivery on these and you'd have thought review samples would be out to push the hype, although AMD don't seem to be good at that part..

So I guess all the people who went with the Asus ROG Swift 2560x1440 144Hz at £650-£700 over the 4K Gysnc monitor at £500 are fools then?

Depends what they wanted I guess. Firstly though as we know, when the Asus Swift launched there was no £499 Acer was there? so chronologically you're a bit out. Secondly? depends what sort of GPU system they're running. Would be easy for me to say yeah, they were, but then I run TB SLI. For 4k you need at least two 980s, so kinda in a different league really GPU wise. Easy enough to chuck 1440p around on a single 980.

Also, I doubt AMD actually dictate which monitors would adapt Freesync first, but rather, monitor manufacturer decide which model of monitors to put freesync in first base on what make most sense from business point of view.

You're determined to make my one comment into a debate, aren't you?

Look. I really, truly CBA to argue with you. At the end of the day if you don't think that this BenQ monitor has a premium slapped on it for being the first Freesync monitor then I truly feel sorry for you. Regardless of what else may be on the market for £499 I can absolutely assure you that you are paying something for it even though you seem so determined to make me argue with you so that you can feel justified in saying it isn't.

AMD should be working WITH monitor manufacturers and should have tried harder to make sure that the monitors that went on sale actually lived up to the curry pumps they spouted. IE - have it for free on a more realistically priced monitor.

They haven't, and to that ends IMO they have failed. There really isn't anything else left to argue or debate about.

And do you know what? nothing has changed. I still feel that at £499 asking price Freesync still doesn't feel any freer than it was earlier today.

I have been wanting up upgrade to 21:9 IPS monitor for a long time, as well as the sync feature to become available...and guess what? LG are realeasing them with freesync.

The 34" 21:9 is too big for me, so I've waiting the 29" 21:9 with freesync, which if following the the 34" model's pricing, it should not cost more than around £300, as that's the price for thir 29" 21:9 without freesync.

Good for you. If you can afford it, and or for some reason think that £499 is a fair asking price and are willing to spend it? good for you. Happy now? feel that you've earned the pat on the back from me that you so desperately seem to need?

If so, and I have appeased you then fair enough. If I haven't then whatever, life goes on.

You still haven't changed my opinion and in fairness you would never hold that power over me any way. So feel free to carry on wasting your time.

Back
Top Bottom