• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** THE FIRST FREESYNC MONITOR ARRIVES AT OcUK!! **

Only the true hardcore.

I've owned an AMD card for a few hours and I purchased the monitor before it even arrived. The price is very good considering the only other comparable monitor on the market atm is £130 more and was even higher at release.

The Acer is £70 cheaper but the stand and design looks worse, 70 quid isn't even a days pay so between now and the time the Acer is released I'll of had 70 quids worth of enjoyment out of the BenQ.

Yet the Asus ROG Swift was shifting decent enough volume, even at £650-£700.

Sooo funny when when it is expensive on the Swift, it is the "premium for being 144Hz 2560 res monitor" rather than Gsync being the cause of high price; when it is expensive on the "Freesync" monitor, despite being cheaper, the price premium is because of the Freesync, rather than being a "2560 res 144Hz monitor" :rolleyes:

You mean a few people bought them and posted about it on here?

Have you ever looked at Steam's survey results? "Most" of us are not even on 1080p yet, mate.

If you asked my uncle if he'd heard of Apple he would nod yes, he has an Ipad 2 and an Iphone 4. Ask him if he's heard of Asus? haha he would wonder what you were talking about.

PC gamers are 1% of the actual market. PC 'enthusiasts' are 1% of that 1%.

I maintain. If Freesync is truly free then it needs to be cheap. IE - free. On every monitor for sale. That way people may actually use it.

That's exactly how it was slated so that's how it needs to be. IMO, of course.

I maintain. If Freesync is truly free then it needs to be cheap. IE - free. On every monitor for sale. That way people may actually use it.

We don't even know how much these panels cost.

The Acer is going to be about £100 more than the cheapest 1080p GSYNC screen, it may not be free but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

We don't even know how much these panels cost.

The Acer is going to be about £100 more than the cheapest 1080p GSYNC screen, it may not be free but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

Well that was the catch wasn't it? you need Displayport gawdknowswhat for Freesync.

So the wait now is for cheap Displayport monitors. And then, and only then, will Freesync be free. IE - Well I was going to buy a monitor any way, so it's nice to have gotten Freesync for actual free and not a £300 premium.

Only the true hardcore.

I've owned an AMD card for a few hours and I purchased the monitor before it even arrived. The price is very good considering the only other comparable monitor on the market atm is £130 more and was even higher at release.

The Acer is £70 cheaper but the stand and design looks worse, 70 quid isn't even a days pay so between now and the time the Acer is released I'll of had 70 quids worth of enjoyment out of the BenQ.

acer starting to make some nice screens but im not sure how reliable, had a few of them with family/friends and they either broke or about to break lol
not super old either, 3years maybe

could just be unlucky but yeh :(

acer starting to make some nice screens but im not sure how reliable, had a few of them with family/friends and they either broke or about to break lol
not super old either, 3years maybe

could just be unlucky but yeh :(

Nah you're not unlucky. In all my years as a PC gamer I've only ever had two monitors fail on me and they have both been Acer.

They're cheaper. I mean, who else is making a 4k G-sync screen for £499?

Mind you I guess it doesn't take much explaining to reason that £499 for a 4k 60hz screen with G-Sync is actually quite cheap, so I ain't expecting miracles out of mine when it comes to longevity.

I guess I could argue that in one case we had a really hot summer and where the ribbon meets the screen itself actually went rusty (hmm, good old hot summer and GTX 280 SLI in a small office = sauna) resulting in a nice pink line running down where the source of the rust was.

The other just died, but I only paid £30 second hand for it and it lasted over a year so hey, can't really grumble.

Then again I've had my 24" 1080p Hannspree since 2010 and it's still as good as new and cost me £130. That's the sort of monitor we need to see Freesync on. IE - one that's available to all. £499 and the word free just makes me LOL.

You mean a few people bought them and posted about it on here?

Have you ever looked at Steam's survey results? "Most" of us are not even on 1080p yet, mate.

If you asked my uncle if he'd heard of Apple he would nod yes, he has an Ipad 2 and an Iphone 4. Ask him if he's heard of Asus? haha he would wonder what you were talking about.

PC gamers are 1% of the actual market. PC 'enthusiasts' are 1% of that 1%.

That's exactly how it was slated so that's how it needs to be. IMO, of course.
Sorry, but your sounds to me you are just arguing for arguing's sake, when you seem to be confused between "Freesync premium" and "monitor premium".

You insisted the premium is because of "Freesync", when monitor such as the LG Flatron 34UM67 34" 21:9 Freesync monitor is no more expensive than the predecessor non-Freesync model LG Flatron 34UM65 34" 21:9 monitor.

£300 premium.

LOL

Which 1440p 144hz screen does this freesync monitor carry a £300 premium over?

Did you hear that whoosh?

Up until my Acer 4k2k I had never spent over £200 on a monitor. In fact, had it not been 4k and G-Sync I would have probably stuck to my philosophy and kept my AOC 1080p 3d 27" screen I paid....... Well, £200 for.

You still haven't answered the question, I don't care which monitors you've owned.

You stated this one carries a £300 premium, if you mean a £300 premium over a standard 1080p 144hz monitor then fair enough.

Sorry, but your sounds to me you are just arguing for arguing's sake, when you seem to be confused between "Freesync premium" and "monitor premium".

You insisted the premium is because of "Freesync", when monitor such as the LG Flatron 34UM67 34" 21:9 Freesync monitor is no more expensive than the predecessor non-Freesync model LG Flatron 34UM65 34" 21:9 monitor.

OK I will make this easier. If Freesync is to actually work and catch on it needs to be free. If you need the ins and outs to my reasoning read my posts.

AMD gleefully came along and pointed out they'd done G-Sync for free. If that really is the case then let's see it for actual free and not bolted onto a £499 monitor.

Does that make it easier to understand?

It's like me saying, as Ford, that I've made a Fiesta that goes as fast as a Ferrari. Only hitch is that it actually costs the same as the Ferrari.

They're cheaper. I mean, who else is making a 4k G-sync screen for £499?

Mind you I guess it doesn't take much explaining to reason that £499 for a 4k 60hz screen with G-Sync is actually quite cheap, so I ain't expecting miracles out of mine when it comes to longevity.
Have you look at this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-072-AC&groupid=17&catid=1895

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-065-AC&groupid=17&catid=948

You still haven't answered the question, I don't care which monitors you've owned.

You stated this one carries a £300 premium, if you mean a £300 premium over a standard 1080p 144hz monitor then fair enough.

Yup that's exactly what I mean. Wow Freesync. Only at £499 nothing feels free. Especially not when I can get a premium Acer screen with 4k and G-Sync for the same money.

OK I will make this easier. If Freesync is to actually work and catch on it needs to be free. If you need the ins and outs to my reasoning read my posts.

AMD gleefully came along and pointed out they'd done G-Sync for free. If that really is the case then let's see it for actual free and not bolted onto a £499 monitor.

Does that make it easier to understand?[/SIZE]
No, I don't understand your flawed logic, and do not wish to :p

Yup that's exactly what I mean. Wow Freesync. Only at £499 nothing feels free. Especially not when I can get a premium Acer screen with 4k and G-Sync for the same money.
You are missing the point...you are paying the £150-£200 premium for Gsync comparing to the non-freesyc model it's base upon on, while the Freesync monitor is not costing anymore than the non-freesync model it's based upon on.

Adaptation will take time...so if they are starting with the high-quality/price segment monitor first? Unless you know for certain that they 1920 res monitors will not adapt and support Freesync in the future, I don't know why you want to keep making a fuss.

Actually it make FAR more sense to not start with 2560 res or above monitor, as most of use who would want to upgrade would probably already have a 1920 res monitor already. Take me for example who already got a 1920 res 120Hz monitor would really only be looking at 2560 res or above monitor to move onto rather than going onto 1920 res again, and the same probably apply for anyone who already got a 1920 res monitor as well.

It will just be a matter of time that 2560x1440 res IPS monitors become available.

Last edited:
ITT ***** who thought AMD were going to buy them a new monitor.

And you mention Acer as being a brand you've set your sights on for a budget offering... when they're slated to possibly have the most expensive panel out on the gaming market soon.

Back
Top Bottom