• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The first "proper" Kepler news Fri 17th Feb?

Associate
Nope. They've already come out and said that they don't want to do a paper launch, and are all about having sufficient stock levels before they release it. You could have a Kepler by the end of the month! (For £934589037459038450.99)

Associate
General consensus seems to be it's between GTX 580 and 7970 performance - AMD will still have the performance crown.

That's what I thought re the last round of rumours but since then apparently NVIDIA have made the bold claim of "nothing will beat Kepler". Looks like we're finally about to find out in a couple of weeks time either way.

Associate
It's taken so long I'm just a bit meh about it now.

I hear what you're saying, I'm a latecomer to the party been out of the PC game thang for a few years in PS3 / laptop land & only decided to start putting a rig together around Xmas time there. I was able to afford everything bar a graphics card by the end of Feb so this end of March launch is essentially perfect timing for me its all fallen into place nicely.

Soldato
I hear what you're saying, I'm a latecomer to the party been out of the PC game thang for a few years in PS3 / laptop land & only decided to start putting a rig together around Xmas time there. I was able to afford everything bar a graphics card by the end of Feb so this end of March launch is essentially perfect timing for me its all fallen into place nicely.

you've not missed much, it's the same old tired **** that it was 6 years ago :D

Soldato
is the gk104 the 660? When are we likly to see the 670/680?

The PCB shown has two 6 pin PCIE connectors. It also has quite a large PCB with a good few power stages on.

This could mean a plethora of things, but most signs point to it being a powerful card. TBH? 8 pins only have two extra grounds any way. And with 28nm using way less power..

Or, Kepler could be pretty busted and need loads of power, so it could be a mid range card.

My guess, though, is that it's a pretty high end part.

Soldato
You forgot block of wood launch.

:D

Operation Director of ZOTAC in the Asia-Pacific area said at Weibo:

"GK104 launch won't be delayed to April, and the relative products have been ready".

If the relative products have been ready then why didn't they release them earlier to stop people buying some red GPU's?
They need to build up enough stock for a full launch. If the card turns out to be as fast as the 7950/7970 for significantly less money cards will sell out fast and punters will be disappointed. NVidia needs to have enough cards available at launch, ideally (for them) just enough so that demand keeps prices high but general availability is maintained. Too little supply will equal lost sales, too much will leave cards on shelves and apply downward pressure on prices (aka the 7900 affect). It is a balancing act.

Soldato
What concerns me is Nvidia's current pricing.

It hasn't changed. At all.

That doesn't exactly fill me with hope over Kepler. If this card is faster than a 580 what does that mean it's going to cost? £350+?

I know some have mentioned £250 but I think that's just never going to happen.

They need to build up enough stock for a full launch. If the card turns out to be as fast as the 7950/7970 for significantly less money

Honestly man you're dreaming. Seriously. If they were going to be nice they would be playing nice now. And they're not. They haven't dropped the prices of the 570 and 580 by ten god damn pence.

That's their old gen cards. Doesn't exactly scream "hope" for the new gen ones does it?

Soldato
Be nice to see an official statement instead of a rumour, with *actual* specifications.

I'm sure they're out there somewhere. We've seen plenty of info (2gb etc) I'm sure that somewhere in all of that is the truth as to what they are releasing.

I do have a feeling that we are going to see both the 680 and 670ti though.. Just this nagging feeling inside..

They're mentioning two cards at launch now. It was only one before.

When they released the 480 they released the 470 with it, so hey you never know history may repeat itself.

Soldato
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/03/05/nvidia-will-launch-gk104keplergtx680-in-a-week/

"So, when is the GK104/GTX680 going to launch? Late last week, Nvidia sent out announcements to a lot of people asking if they could join the company for the launch on March 12th. Since they mentioned the GTX680 by name in the invites, and sites don’t have cards yet, it looks to be about as ‘real’ as recent AMD launches. No pretty pictures of the invite though, it looks like they once again forgot to send SemiAccurate one, but since we published most of the info a month ago, no big deal"

Back
Top Bottom