• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Gamers Guide To Mantle

Soldato
While I'm very pleased with the number of Mantle titles, I'm extremely disappointed the majority are coming from EA, because EA suck, they've ruined nigh on every developer that's gotten in bed with them, so I just can't get excite about their games.
Are we now doing a Battlefield a year?

That's the world we live in now. It's not like, say, coffee; where you can get a better product by avoiding Starbucks and going to a indy place.

Associate
Yes? But AAA in general.

Interesting, there are many high quality indie games out there which are often better than so-called "AAA games" in my opinion. All too often AAA games are designed primarily for consoles these days and the performance, UI and overall feel of the game heavily reflect that.

Compare that to an indie game such as The Forest, for example, which is in pre-alpha mode right now but hasn't actually crashed once for me and runs very smoothly for such an early build; quite impressive for a title developed by a 4-man studio, and a game which is definitely no worse than current AAA titles and has the potential to be incredible.

Anyway, each to their own I guess, but indie titles do deserve a look-in.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Interesting, there are many high quality indie games out there which are often better than so-called "AAA games" in my opinion. All too often AAA games are designed primarily for consoles these days and the performance, UI and overall feel of the game heavily reflect that.

Agree, some games are just quality for their playability without the need for all out graphics.

Soldato
Indie games these days = lazy "bitstyle" graphics and a pretentious title with a comma in it, marketed towards the millions of hipster teenagers on sites like reddit who never actually experienced real 8/16bit graphics and lap up more of the same endlessly the same way COD fans are accused of doing.

They don't stack up against the storylines, visuals, gameplay and scope/depth of AAA.

Not that I have a chip on my shoulder about this at all.

Caporegime
There's some stonking Indie games, take State of Decay, bar a few flaws, it was easily one of the best zombie games going for free roaming (Imo), then when you compare it to the Walking Dead Survival Instincts which took a stellar IP, and Activision, and produced pure crap game.

Associate
Indie games these days = lazy "bitstyle" graphics and a pretentious title with a comma in it, marketed towards the millions of hipster teenagers on sites like reddit who never actually experienced real 8/16bit graphics and lap up more of the same endlessly the same way COD fans are accused of doing.

They don't stack up against the storylines, visuals, gameplay and scope/depth of AAA.

Not that I have a chip on my shoulder about this at all.

Evidently you've not played many indie games!

Caporegime
OP
:cool:

Would like to know more about the 15 games in development.(even though it's EA) ;)

Here's a sneak peak on some of them. The list may not be 100% accurate though, but it did correctly guess a few of them.

Released
Battlefield 4 – (Developed by DICE/Frostbite Team)
Thief – (Developed by Eidos),
Need for Speed Rivals — (Developed by Ghost Games), no Mantle yet

Unreleased
Star Citizen – (Developed by Cloud Imperium Games, Behaviour Interactive)
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare –(Developed by PopCap Games)
Sniper Elite 3 – (Developed by Rebellion)
Dragon Age: Inquisition – (Developed by BioWare/Frostbite Team)
Havana (codename) – (Developed by Visceral Games/Frostbite Team)
Mars (codename) – (Developed by Mohawk Games/Oxide Games)
Mass Effect (untitled) – (Developed by BioWare/Frostbite Team)
Mirror’s Edge 2 – (Developed by DICE/Frostbite Team)
Star Control – (Developed by Stardock/Oxide Games)
Star Wars: Battlefront — (Developed by DICE/Frostbite Team)
Unannounced title — (Developed by Oxide Games)

http://videocardz.com/49777/list-upcoming-games-support-mantle-api

Caporegime
OP
Those aren't all from EA. Am I misreading the slide?

It says '15 games in development across all of EA' I took that to be EA games only as it's about Frostbite games.

Yes that's just a few of them, most are unannounced. There is a lot of games coming from Rebellion games and the Asura engine which all have Mantle support. Only game announced so far though is Sniper Elite V3.

Caporegime
OP
So you haven't answered my original question then. ;):p:D

(Hardline later hopefully with the BigLad as well)

That slide and the videocardz link are separate. I just remembered seeing that Frostbite slide months ago when Johan did his Mantle presentation, but it's looking like everything on that Frostbite slide will become a Mantle title.

Will be on at 4pm for a few rounds.

Caporegime
OP
Sniper Elite V3 and Plants Vs Zombies to release this week, both Mantle titles. Spoke to Rebellion CEO on twitter, Mantle support will be added after release as it is still undergoing final testing. Not been able to get an answer from the Popcap devs regarding Plants Vs Zombies yet.

Back
Top Bottom