The Grand Tour

• Thread starter Thread starter LiE
  • Start date Start date
Being able to watch the Paris Dakar in its hey day or even partake would have been a truly bucket list event for me. Even more so than the 24hr of Lemans. The archive footage they used really got the goosebumps going.

My French is a little rusty but I do recognise him saying 200kmh. Truly mad. It is a shame how turgid Motorsport has gotten over the years.

Wow that DAF was quick

It was nice to watch, like an old pair of slippers that are comfy and give you that same old reassurance that you know what you're getting. Nothing new or clever, just good telly for middle aged blokes, watching those 3 do silly things in amazing places that on some level we all wish we could do too.

I think the next one is the last one, and I'm ok with that, nothing lasts forever, so appreciate I what it was!

Still vastly better than most nonsense shown on the telly these days!

Last edited:
Nice to see three of them together again but I think it's run it course now, too scripted and too much pressure to make these specials bigger and better than the last. I guess its why some of the more popular YouTube motoring channels (likes of AutoAlex, Car Throttle..etc) are doing so well, even though they are a fraction of the budget they are genuinely just having a laugh doing simple things.

I find this in a lot of things. A lower budget offering is often so much more enjoyable and I also reflected on this when thinking back to the previous Africa special with the cheap estates. Still, the genuine entertaining trio still provided a good distraction.

Has Africa never heard of bins and rubbish collection?

Plastic bottles seem to be the main feature of every town.

Last edited:
Nothing like that place though!!

When I'm leaving town late on a Friday or Saturday night, especially if there has been a football match or other large event locally, the first ~300 yards or so of main road out of town is just a carpet of discarded takeaway packaging, paper cups and plastic bottles :( people are scum and it wouldn't take much to end up like that here.

When things started to open up again after the pandemic the local country parks, etc. were absolutely coated in litter, I dunno if I can find it but there was a fence at the end of the car park of one of them and in less than 3 days it had become almost entirely blotted out by wind blown litter trapped against it!

When I'm leaving town late on a Friday or Saturday night, especially if there has been a football match or other large event locally, the first ~300 yards or so of main road out of town is just a carpet of discarded takeaway packaging, paper cups and plastic bottles :(
So a 300 yard stretch outside of a gathering of what, 20k people is messy for a short while until street cleaners come? Surely it's not really comparable?

So a 300 yard stretch outside of a gathering of what, 20k people is messy for a short while until street cleaners come? Surely it's not really comparable?

My point really was that it is quite a thin line really between it looking like that here as well - people aren't really that much better. It was noticeable during the pandemic even though it isn't that bad normally how much less litter there was at the peak of the lockdowns. Being a key worker and driving a lot during the lockdowns really made me feel quite bitter towards humanity seeing the contrast in just about everything.

Last edited:
My point really was that it is quite a thin line really between it looking like that here as well - people aren't really that much better.
I don't think anyone was meaning 'they're much messier than we are'. I thought it was more a surprise that it's allowed to be that way?

eg Only a couple of weekends ago, I was out cycling, there were groups of volunteers litter picking the Hertfordshire countryside. I've seen this a few times now.

When i went to Angola it was wall to wall litter, other than the aftermath of something like Glastonbury nothing in the UK compares.

Yes and usually in these places it's not just litter either. They take dumps on the street too, because where there are is no rubbish management, there are no toilets either. India is the same which is why everyone who visits gets diarrhea. There are particles of it on everything.

Last edited:
Yes and usually in these places it's not just litter either. They take dumps on the street too, because where there are is no rubbish management, there are no toilets either. India is the same which is why everyone who visits gets diarrhea. There are particles of it on everything.
Well that anecdote just put me off my chips

Me and the Mrs looked at each other and said the scripting is getting really poor now.
The most awesome bit was the train at 1.55 miles long :eek:
While they were messing getting the cars off they were claiming there were no real roads and you could see in a distance cars on a road :)
You can see carriages by the line and a nice road in front - https://www.google.com/maps/place/C....0673833!16zL20vMGJmdHF2?authuser=0&entry=ttu

Back
Top Bottom