The Grand Tour

• Thread starter Thread starter LiE
  • Start date Start date
If I were to be overly critical, I’d say the audio was all over the place, really loud music followed by quiet talking then normal volumes for the talking and so on.

Zimbabwe looked stunning, amazing what these modern cameras can capture.

I felt like the episode flew in, a sad end to an era. Like most others, I’ve grown up watching these 3 but all good things come to an end and it feels like the right time. Glad they are still producing good shows separately that we can all enjoy.

The genuine moments hwere good. That Rimac blow to Hammond and you could even hear the production people laugh was good.
Also the the montage of them not building the cars at all with legos etc made me laugh.

About just over half way through, and as someone who's been in the motor trade for 35+ years, Jeremy saying this summed it up for me..

"I'm simply not interested in electric cars, they're just white goods, they're washing machines or microwaves.
You can't review those, you can't enjoy them, they are just ****"

I do kinda feel for future generations who'll never know the pleasure of rebuilding an engine or properly maintaining their own vehicle, or in fact getting the pleasure of repairing it when it's failed to work without paying someone a small fortune to do it for them.
One only has to look at the motors section to see the pleasure people get from figuring stuff out and doing it themselves and the pride they have in doing so.
That's another skill set that's about to be resigned to history :(

If I were to be overly critical, I’d say the audio was all over the place, really loud music followed by quiet talking then normal volumes for the talking and so on.

Zimbabwe looked stunning, amazing what these modern cameras can capture.

I felt like the episode flew in, a sad end to an era. Like most others, I’ve grown up watching these 3 but all good things come to an end and it feels like the right time. Glad they are still producing good shows separately that we can all enjoy.
It's not just GT that has bad sound engineering; most modern productions are really poor to the point where I have to reduce the volume during certain scenes because the sound levels become annoyingly high, while at other times they drop so low that you can’t hear what people are saying. You would think, that with all the modern tech it should be easier to get this right vs 10-15 years ago, right?

I wonder what will come next. TG UK is dead, GT is dead, and 5th Gear is dead. Whatever automotive entertainment show comes next, the hosts will have big shoes to fill.

I wonder what will come next. TG UK is dead, GT is dead, and 5th Gear is dead. Whatever automotive entertainment show comes next, the hosts will have big shoes to fill.
I doubt there will be any more.
What are they going to review? An electric toaster that goes down the runway in 1.9seconds with no noise, no presence or excitement.
What's the point in that?, it's hardly going to get ones blood pumping is it?
You can flog a dead horse as much as you like, but it ain't gonna win the grand national.

Last edited:
About just over half way through, and as someone who's been in the motor trade for 35+ years, Jeremy saying this summed it up for me..

"I'm simply not interested in electric cars, they're just white goods, they're washing machines or microwaves.
You can't review those, you can't enjoy them, they are just ****"

I do kinda feel for future generations who'll never know the pleasure of rebuilding an engine or properly maintaining their own vehicle, or in fact getting the pleasure of repairing it when it's failed to work without paying someone a small fortune to do it for them.
One only has to look at the motors section to see the pleasure people get from figuring stuff out and doing it themselves and the pride they have in doing so.
That's another skill set that's about to be resigned to history :(

Very very few drivers actually do even basic maintenance. Mainly because they don’t have to. I only know about engines and stuff because of my dad. But despite my interest I don’t do any maintenance, and neither will my kids. Gone are the days when you needed to muck around with cars all weekend.

Most cars today are white goods. Doesn’t matter it’s a 2l diesel Merc or a 1l Hyundai, they are all pretty dull. Motoring for the masses is sanitised, it’s just about getting from a to b. As an engineer EV’s intrigue me as much as something with an engine.

It's not just GT that has bad sound engineering; most modern productions are really poor to the point where I have to reduce the volume during certain scenes because the sound levels become annoyingly high, while at other times they drop so low that you can’t hear what people are saying. You would think, that with all the modern tech it should be easier to get this right vs 10-15 years ago, right?

It’s been mentioned before. There’s ample motoring content on YT to fill the void. Not to mentioned the podcast community

Shame to see it come to an end but nothing lasts forever and all three of them now have their own shows.

I watched the last episode, and although it was good I honestly thought it was probably one of the lesser entertaining episodes. The previous episode , the sand job was a much more entertaining episode imo.

They reminisced about the past a lot which wasn’t that entertaining but was fitting for the last episode.

Last edited:
It’s been mentioned before. There’s ample motoring content on YT to fill the void. Not to mentioned the podcast community

It’s not really the same though is it? I can appreciate what some of those YouTubers and podcasters do but it’s nothing like watching an episode of TG/GT with those three.

I doubt there will be any more.
What are they going to review? An electric toaster that goes down the runway in 1.9seconds with no noise, no presence or excitement.
What's the point in that?, it's hardly going to get ones blood pumping is it?
You can flog a dead horse as much as you like, but it ain't gonna win the grand national.
Fair point, the state of the roads in the UK isn't helping the situation either... It's shocking how countries with lower GDP have better public transport infrastructures and motorways with higher speed limits.
Yeah, I suppose... It's not the same though, production quality and budget just isn't the same...

I enjoyed the last episode, wasn't the best nor the worst. A fitting send off imo.
Zimbabwe looked beautiful.
Also Jeremy really needs to lose some weight, his stomach is getting rather large.

I won't argue with that as I see it daily, like every single day.

Fair enough, but for plenty it's a hobby and a learning experience.
The problem is, even on a 10 year old BMW you need compatible OBD2 dongle, reader or Laptop to register a battery. Not to mention troubleshooting a car, there's so many electronics and cars are so unnecessarily complicated that without the right tools you're doomed. I've a laptop with 2TB SSD, this just contains software for German cars mostly VAG and BMW, not to mention the amount of different types of cables I've. :cry: It's stupid... things like that should be regulated, there should be an industry standard that all car manufactures have to comply by...

Don't even get me started on the consumerism trend, so many parts are unfixable on purpose! You've to buy a whole new part to fix the fault, how TF do they get away with this whilst all the BS climate warning talk is going on in the media...

Example: On E series BMW you there're 3 screw to undo the casing of a siren to change the internal battery, on F series they welded the casing together and put the PCB right on the edge of the casing, when you try to split it open you're risking damaging the PCB if you're not careful. The battery CR123A that sits inside the siren costs £2-3 from places like Screwfix, new Siren from BMW is over £200...

Last edited:
I spent last Saturday replacing a lower suspension arm/wishbone, and a set of front discs and pads on a ford fiesta.

I'm trying to educate others.....
This is the right way, I always help friends out and teach them, even though I'm self-taught and learnt the hard way by breaking things and some early repairs probs costed me more than taking it to a mechanic. But, overall I saved loads of money and thanks to the skills I learnt, it allowed me to buy faulty cars for pocket change, even when taking into account all the repair costs the cars were still dirt cheap. :D The satisfaction from fixing faults that various garages failed to locate is so satisfying! :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom