The Grand Tour

OcUK Staff
I may have missed this but I watched episode 1 of season 2 last night and witnessed the crash and something is not adding up for me.

In the episode they make no mention of mechanical failure, but as he'd crossed the finish line why was he still going full chat, surely he would have lifted and being slowing down, or was he trying to put in another fast lap? If the latter than I suspect the car was simply to quick for him to handle and he missed his braking point, or had he slowed down but had a braking failure or other failure in the car.

Just seems odd he had so much over speed into the corner considering he'd done his timed lap. Maybe its being discussed already, so apologies if I have missed it.

Soldato
I have to say when I first watched it, I too thought he kept going after the finish. There's no more laps though, it was a hill climb. I think his bigger problem was he effectively did a Scandinavian flick and swung the rear round to his right as he then slid off the hill!

Permabanned
it very much depends on who they have on, just like last time.
if you know them then chances are it'll be a good segment, if not then it'll be lame.

although I'm sure they could tweak it, I mean it's a car show, there must be a group of celebs most car people know. rather than having the usual celeb magazine type people on, or randoms.

I have no idea who the cocky yorkshire lad was... everyone knows Hoff

Caporegime
It is in the video, they go through the data from the car, and decide it is the car not understanding what he wanted to do, coupled with possibly a bug in the programming.

Hammond says in the video that they had been playing about loads on the airfield trying to provoke the car into oversteer but i never would, no matter what he tried.

Then come the hillclimb that last run he was going way way faster at that point than he had done previously, the rear end stepped out slightly on the right hander just before the crash, and he put in a bit of steering to counteract that, then the left hander appeared at a much faster speed than he had arrived before, so he put in loads of left hand steer, more than he had ever done before, so the car said "oh ok you want to turn left, you want to turn very hard left NOW !!!" so it vectored torque and power to the 4 wheels in such a way that the car almost turned within its own length, lost grip and slid off the mountain.

Caporegime
It is in the video, they go through the data from the car, and decide it is the car not understanding what he wanted to do, coupled with possibly a bug in the programming.

Hammond says in the video that they had been playing about loads on the airfield trying to provoke the car into oversteer but i never would, no matter what he tried.

Then come the hillclimb that last run he was going way way faster at that point than he had done previously, the rear end stepped out slightly on the right hander just before the crash, and he put in a bit of steering to counteract that, then the left hander appeared at a much faster speed than he had arrived before, so he put in loads of left hand steer, more than he had ever done before, so the car said "oh ok you want to turn left, you want to turn very hard left NOW !!!" so it vectored torque and power to the 4 wheels in such a way that the car almost turned within its own length, lost grip and slid off the mountain.
Pretty much how I understood his comments, makes you wonder about “driver aids” in modern vehicles, effectively he had the situation in hand (perhaps) until the computer thought different and effectively caused the crash...

One thing that really struck me was how old Clarkson & May both looked, it’ll be the geriatric day our soon rather than the grand tour!

Soldato
Watched this last night. A great return to form, definitely felt more like the old TG. Enjoyed the main road trip. The celebrity bit had my attention wandering, not interested in it all that much - but I never was on TG either. Looking forward to tomorrow's episode.

Man of Honour
Hammond on crutches travelling through the New York Metro system...

I've been on crutches at several times in my life and in no way would want to travel on the London Underground at that point.

Soldato
That merc with rear wheel steering...

I thought they didn't do that any more because years down the road, when the hardware gets old, it goes wrong and randomly put you in a ditch? lol

Man of Honour
I don't know if it's me simply tired of the 3 of them, but I am not getting into this new series at all based on 2 so far. WHY they feel they need celebrity (I use that loosely) is beyond me and the talking bit is a bit crap too I find. They need more content, different content in my view. Staid is the word I would use.

Back
Top Bottom