The Great Big FFP Debate

Associate
You want fair, have a flat wage and transfer cap. The big clubs will be rolling in money, their share prices will increase and they could spend the money fixing their leaky roofs. But be honest, fair competition is not what you want, you want to return to the previous era where a club had a player and you said, we will take him. You want to get back to winning everything and pretending it's fair because it's you not them winning.
Selective fairness then

Maybe we can cap all attendances at the bottom club's ground size to be fair

cap sponsorship at the bottom clubs income

Change the really unfair TV money payout to a flat fee for every club

Implement a draft so the bottom clubs each season can take a player each from the top clubs for free, to be fair

this is the thing competitive sport isn't supposed to be fair, go watch the NFL if you want a "fair league", Fairness is just an excuse for blatant corruption and cheating.

Caporegime
clubs are essentially free to spend whatever they want on infrastructure, it's not included in FFP calc's
Absolutely but you still have to borrow the money from somewhere as we saw how long it took Arsenal to recover from that (is it included in Profit and sustainability rules?). Imagine if they could easily have done it through profits from making 200m per year because everyone was limited to a 150m a year spend. It's not like any of us benefitting from spending 400m on wages and transfers while the TV costs go up for less and less football from our favourite team. Money which just goes to footballers and costs keep spiralling because there's no cap.

Caporegime
You'd prefer the massive amounts of money that are in football these days to go to the owners of the clubs? not the actual players / managers?
Yes, I'd prefer it to go to the clubs rather than the 160m City, United and chelsea spent on agent fees in 12 months. No of us are winning from that, everyones TV subscription goes up regardless of whether you want to watch football or not to pay for the chase to the top for rights. I'd rather clubs were profit making organisations that if required could filter money down the league rather than 2 billion on agents fees. There's no reason at all why every club in the top 2 leagues isn't making a profit or breaking even. That's profit and sustainability, not being allowed to lose 100m per year. That's a broken system.

Are any of the non top 6 traditional sides any closer to winning the league than they were under the old Football league? No they are not, it's not more competitive it's just more expensive to tread water. One team in my lifetime has broken in and won the league. Perhaps if the clubs had actually been properly sustainable we wouldn't need a league run by Oil states and Americans.

Associate
Yes, I'd prefer it to go to the clubs rather than the 160m City, United and chelsea spent on agent fees in 12 months. No of us are winning from that, everyones TV subscription goes up regardless of whether you want to watch football or not to pay for the chase to the top for rights. I'd rather clubs were profit making organisations that if required could filter money down the league rather than 2 billion on agents fees.

This just woudn't happen, most owners would take their profits and run, they wouldn't re-invest and certainly not filter the money down the system. Unless they were forced to do so.

Other than the billionaire owner clubs, most owners of clubs are in it to make a profit, the only reason they even pay the wages they do, is because that is the market rate.

There are no philanthropist large club owners, they are in it to make money!!

Soldato
Selective fairness then

Implement a draft so the bottom clubs each season can take a player each from the top clubs for free, to be fair

this is the thing competitive sport isn't supposed to be fair, go watch the NFL if you want a "fair league", Fairness is just an excuse for blatant corruption and cheating.
The NFL isn't fair, I'd suggest you go watch it to see how fair it actually is.

Soldato
Selective fairness then

How is the tv money unfair?

Associate
The NFL isn't fair, I'd suggest you go watch it to see how fair it actually is.
It's about as fair as you can get in a sporting sense in that it's a closed system managed to raise all ships... I guess you could go even further, perhaps WWE style sports entertainment is for you.

Associate
Utter nonsense. 50% is split equally. 25% is on positions finished in the league and only 25% is based on televised matches.
Really I didn't know, I thought the sly six along with the "big 5" stole it from the small club's babies milk fund... and that's why FFP should be abolished.

Associate
Soldato
This just woudn't happen, most owners would take their profits and run, they wouldn't re-invest and certainly not filter the money down the system. Unless they were forced to do so.

Other than the billionaire owner clubs, most owners of clubs are in it to make a profit, the only reason they even pay the wages they do, is because that is the market rate.

There are no philanthropist large club owners, they are in it to make money!!
Who is making money owning a PL club?

Don
Reportedly it was set for the 10th June and could take up to 2 weeks. There's not likely to be an official announcement on which way the arbitration went however I'm sure somebody will leak the results once it's concluded.

Pet Northerner
Don

another twist if you will. Waste of time.

I hate how Newcastle have been dragged into this.

If Mason Mount can be sold for 50M then Elliot Anderson for 35 is fair (he's young, high ceiling and actually plays in the PL). Minteh is a highly rated talent and multiple clubs offered the asking price, he turned down a move to France that was higher than Brighton's.

Back
Top Bottom