• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

I have the Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream and was wondering if there are any cooling alternatives available? I was hoping to downsize to ITX but apparently this card is simply too monstrous for practically any ITX case (barring something massive like the Core X1).

Some outlets claim it sticks to the Nvidia reference 980 ti PCB design, others say it's custom.

Any advice?

The most reliable source for this sort of thing I find is the EK configurator http://configurator.ekwb.com/, which puts it as a reference PCB

It's certainly close to a reference PCB, although Palit seem to have chosen some different components. I assume such small changes wouldn't affect compatibility though.

Nvidia:
front24bssn.jpg

Palit:
frontw7sji.jpg

So, final overclocking results:
Max stable core for everyday use was +110MHz on top of the Superclock's default OC giving 1212 which boosts up to 1400MHz with an auto fan profile
Max stable memory clock was +250MHz giving 7.5GHz total (or 1878 on gpu-z)
Overvolting +18MV only helped to push core from +110 to +150 (1252Mhz core) which boosted to 1480MHz. This only gave me a 2.5 to 5% boost to framerates. Any higher voltages did not help to push the core higher without driver crashes.

I am now running at the +110MHz core +250MHz memory setting with temp target set to 70c with a 1:1 fan curve as this keeps my PC silent. It usually idles at 29c with fans speed at 30%

980 Ti HOF Air Review 8Pack style!!!

KFA2 have been making world record breaking GPU for several generations now. There 780 Ti HOF was by far the fastest 780 Ti on the market dominating 3D mark score boards on the Bot and
Future marks own site. Since this ground breaking product the 980 HOF and 980 HOF 8Pack version performed in the same vein with at one stage 980 HOF holding all world records on HWbot.

When I received my test ES 980 Ti HOF back at Computex I was very excited by the product. Great power delivery and efficiency enabling me to take 3D mark 11 WR and Heaven WR using Ln2
cooling. The product oozing quality I had no qualms in recommending it for enthusiasts of elite tier hardware.

When the production 980 Ti HOF came into stock I could not wait to try one and show the forums what its capable of. First of all we have the look of the product. The distinctive white PCB, robust
3 fan 2.5 slot cooling solution and substantial white back plate all not only perform great as I will show later but look truly awesome. End users considering this card should note only two card SLI
is possible on stock cooler as its too wide to cram cards close together in TRI SLI or above. For three way SLI plus KFA2 have a card with retrofitted waterblocks which handle this config perfectly.
This seems sensible on there behalf as often anything over two way is often overheating on any air cooling solutions.

Below are pics of the great looking card in my GPU test Rig.

The card I chose from stock was totally chosen at random. It had an ASIC quality for those interested of 75.5% with its stock boost speed being 1420mhz.

The testing methodology I used for the overclocking testing was Max out the power limit. Use only stock volts. Test with auto fan profiles. I did this so that I am sure most customers can reach the
same mhz and beyond of my testing.

I also tried full speed fan cooler so I could see how fan speed effected load temps.

Review System specs:
5960X 4.875mhz
ASUS Rampage V Extreme
8Pack PSU
GSKILL mems 2666mhz
Windows 8.1
Nforce 353.06 WHQL driver

Below are my testing results.
Firestrike Xtreme

Firestrike

Firestrike Ultra 4K

Valley 1080p maxed out

Heaven 1080p maxed out

Heaven 4K maxed out

So as we can see from the scores my sample could run with stock volts and fan speed 1525-1530 Core and 2000-2050 mems through all the tests on its stock Air cooler. If you give it some voltage
and crank the fans then I am sure it can go even higher. These results are very impressive in themselves with the limitations I imposed on testing to make sure repeatable is very possible by any
end user.

The cooler on Auto performed very well with the card never going above 66C and most of the time hovering around 63-64C. This is very much up there with the best of the best in terms of cooling.
To my ears its a touch quieter than say for example ASUS Strix which on Auto allows the card to get to higher temps at 0db but then the fan needs to spin faster to bring the load temps under control.
The back plate is also getting warm so proving essential for removing heat from the PCB and doing its job well. The cooling design with the VRM heatsink being built into the main cooler also makes for
efficient VRM heat removal and stops unnecessary heat soak into the PCB.

If you force the fan to full the GPU never got above 56C during my testing and was usually running at 54C load. These are truly great temps with the extra length of the heat pipes being used to full
effect. Even at full fan speed the cooler is not crazy loud but is now certainly audible. For benching easy for the end user to live with though.

In conclusion I would recommend the KFA2 980 Ti HOF to any type of end user. For the gamer who does not OC its stock clock is very high and it is boosting at stock to 1420mhz. If you want to
overclock its very easy to reach 1525+ mhz core with absolutely no effort at all and the memory is also able to pass 2000+mhz without issue. All this while remaining cool and quiet in performance.
The cooler infact when forced to full fan was the coolest I have tested and the auto fan profile sees the card remain stable, cool and quiet.

Finally I think I should point out the looks. This is for me the best looking card available at the moment and its build quality is second to none. Especially if you have a white motherboard or a
motherboard with any white on the heat sinks this should be your absolute first choice card. If you don't have this color scheme but want performance again you should be considering this great product.
This KFA2 980 Ti HOF is truly living upto its Hall of Fame name in every way.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28547143#post28547143

Last two items I bought from OCUK, no Haribo. :(

Last 2 items bought from OCUK 2 Haribo :)

Having a play with my Palit jetstream at the moment so far I have CPU clock +110 MHz, Mem clock +450 MHz with fan at 60% not gone above 71c and its still near silent. My Asic is crap though only 66% so not sure how much further I can/want to push it.

Having a play with my Palit jetstream at the moment so far I have CPU clock +110 MHz, Mem clock +450 MHz with fan at 60% not gone above 71c and its still near silent. My Asic is crap though only 66% so not sure how much further I can/want to push it.

Got two of them and there awesome

That ASIC is not crap, there is very little value in it. You should still be able to hit 1450 stable boost with out any problems. Anything above that will always be questionable regardless of high or low ASIC numbers.

So, just spent the evening fitting a couple of H55s and Kraken G10s to my MSIs. It seemed to take forever to wire it all in to the Aquaero etc but I've just finished.

I swapped the stock fans for GT15s and have done a quick run of firestrike, both cards maxed at 52 degrees so I'm happy, probably going to take a few days of playing around with fan curves in aquasuite to get it perfect i'm sure.

So, just spent the evening fitting a couple of H55s and Kraken G10s to my MSIs. It seemed to take forever to wire it all in to the Aquaero etc but I've just finished.

I swapped the stock fans for GT15s and have done a quick run of firestrike, both cards maxed at 52 degrees so I'm happy, probably going to take a few days of playing around with fan curves in aquasuite to get it perfect i'm sure.

I'm just wondering if I should do this to my MSI 6g 980ti

I max out stable with 1454 with voltage all the way to the right. Witcher 3 for 2hrs straight.

Cant go any higher.

The noise doesn't bother me, but I guess keeping it cooler will stop it dropping a voltage bump which knocks 13mhz off to give me a stable 1454 from 1467.

Just wondering if it would do more OC than that...if its cooler can I go higher than just stopping the throttle at 65c.

£70 isn't worth it for less noise and stopping the 13mhz drop for me.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if I should do this to my MSI 6g 980ti

I max out stable with 1454 with voltage all the way to the right. Witcher 3 for 2hrs straight.

Cant go any higher.

The noise doesn't bother me, but I guess keeping it cooler will stop it dropping a voltage bump which knocks 13mhz off to give me a stable 1454 from 1467.

Just wondering if it would do more OC than that...if its cooler can I go higher than just stopping the throttle at 65c.

£70 isn't worth it for less noise and stopping the 13mhz drop for me.

You'll be wasting your time if you don't mod the BIOS to stop the power limit throttle. Have a look at your power usage when you have it running like that, it's probably near 100%.

You'll be wasting your time if you don't mod the BIOS to stop the power limit throttle. Have a look at your power usage when you have it running like that, it's probably near 100%.

Yeah ok. I don't have the cash to burn, so flashing the bios isn't for me.

I guess when I SLI I'll have to get a blower or another 6g with g10 to keep temps in check.

However, I've got a core x9 now. lovely case, so my cards will actually be side by side rather than above and below. So that will help.

What should I buy next...new monitor (getting bored of my 1080p 120z benq) or another 6g. Guess another card is overkill without the new monitor..

monitors are just such a hard purchase.

Yeah ok. I don't have the cash to burn, so flashing the bios isn't for me.

I guess when I SLI I'll have to get a blower or another 6g with g10 to keep temps in check.

However, I've got a core x9 now. lovely case, so my cards will actually be side by side rather than above and below. So that will help.

What should I buy next...new monitor (getting bored of my 1080p 120z benq) or another 6g. Guess another card is overkill without the new monitor..

monitors are just such a hard purchase.

I'm running a 27" 1440p monitor with a 980Ti 6G and it's a monster! Get a new monitor first.

I really want the ROG swift. But I see myself as an unlucky purchaser...I can get a chicken bone in a pack of chicken flavoured crisps.

4k I don't think is a sensible purchase either, as I'm only using it on my desk, and cannot imagine going above 27" screen size without having to move my head, not just my eyes.

I'm just wondering if I should do this to my MSI 6g 980ti £70 isn't worth it for less noise and stopping the 13mhz drop for me.

You answered your question there. If you're happy with the Twin Frozr noise (I find it very quiet anyway) you have no need for it. In my case the Twin Frozr cooler would get up to 79c easily and I would be unable to keep my hands on the backplate. Now I'm happy the whole card runs cooler because of the 20c+ drop. I can now obtain 1516MHz while 1479 was my wall on air, but 37MHz is insignificant to me as I don't bench or run games with an OC.

Just happy to run the card much cooler without going full water loop, which is better, but can be a lot more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom