• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

I really want the ROG swift. But I see myself as an unlucky purchaser...I can get a chicken bone in a pack of chicken flavoured crisps.

4k I don't think is a sensible purchase either, as I'm only using it on my desk, and cannot imagine going above 27" screen size without having to move my head, not just my eyes.

Get the swift, won't be disappointed. Lovely monitor. With regards to flashing the cards bios. It's the easiest thing ever. Only a risk factor if you flash the wrong one or get a power cut halfway through. Which is highly unlikely as it takes about 5 seconds. And there are bios numbers to ensure they are the same.

I've flashed both my 980Tis several times. I just run with a power limit bios and 1.25v for 1500mhz 24/7. Afterburner allows 1.23v, custom bios goes to 1.274v. Mine does +160 on stock or (1350). And +360 with a custom bios (1550mhz). That's gpu-z verified speed not afterburner as its read clock speed is exaggerated.

Last edited:
I turned off all the fans except the CPU and Graphics Card Memory + the fan on the radiator so should hopefully give you an idea. (While in game - LED green showing medium load)

Have heard the pump whine twice so far which it seems to do on boot up and once when I closed a game for a second, assuming it had something to do with load level dropping so suddenly.

Overall very happy with it so far.

Thanks for that :)

Don't go into a 980Ti purchase with the expectation of 1500MHz, a lot of cards can't really do that stable in games.

Mine for example can bench at 1560 but gaming at 1540 was a no-go :p

Either way, 1400MHz is still a ~30% increase on what the card is supposed to do, you should be pretty happy with that in itself.

I would say 1450 is "usually" attainable with most of the cards with a decent cooler at audibly acceptable levels, from what I've seen, some people are doing less as they put tighter controls on either temp or noise (or both)

Joe! well in my case will be bios mod max stable volts and oc it can take. Use for 1 year and move on to next gpu.

I run to the ground everything i own even my phone is overclocked to maximum stable clock :D

Rule is if it fries tough ****

Edit for delpy8

Just bumped my GPU fan speed to 100% in afterburner to see how loud it was, in my amazement it doesn't seem to make any audible difference atall! The temperatures however have just dropped to 49-50 c in game.

Seems to be no reason not to run it at 100%, apart from the "load" level LED's seem to be linked to the fan speed which means I will have to put up with a constantly red ichill logo - Oh well. :D

Joe! well in my case will be bios mod max stable volts and oc it can take. Use for 1 year and move on to next gpu.

I run to the ground everything i own even my phone is overclocked to maximum stable clock :D

Rule is if it fries tough ****

Fair enough :p

I prefer to play it safe cause I have no idea what my financial situation will be like in a years time :)

Fair enough :p

I prefer to play it safe cause I have no idea what my financial situation will be like in a years time :)

No point playing it safe ;), life is boring that way. If it fries just send it back. Bios bricks just Pop in the microwave on medium heat. Then send it back :).

Nothing to flashing a GPU's bios, the voltage is set max by nvidia so it's not really overvolting. I can link a good guide if you want.

No point playing it safe ;), life is boring that way. If it fries just send it back. Bios bricks just Pop in the microwave on medium heat. Then send it back :).

Nothing to flashing a GPU's bios, the voltage is set max by nvidia so it's not really overvolting. I can link a good guide if you want.

I done this with my 980 to get 1.3v and 1650 on the core. Could you link me the guide for 980Ti so I can see what the differences are between Maxwell and Maxwell 2?

Thanks.

I have no iGPU, or spare GPUs laying around. Can't really afford to brick one :p

I'm happy with my 980Ti though, has better than average clocks considering it's on air.

I played GTA for the first time in a while today and I'm sad that my actual card has coil whine now.. I thought it was just my PSU, but after swapping it out for a SuperFlower, there is whine coming from the card too.

Dunno if I will RMA it, I can't really be bothered since it has to go through Gigabyte this time around which means a few weeks without my GPU.

If it tells you how to set the voltage in MBT I would like that as I can't get mine past 1.23

I done this with my 980 to get 1.3v and 1650 on the core. Could you link me the guide for 980Ti so I can see what the differences are between Maxwell and Maxwell 2?

Thanks.

Flash process is the same, This is the guide i used. It is for 970-980s but is exactly the same as the 980Ti aswell.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1523391/easy-nvflash-guide-with-pictures-for-gtx-970-980

If it tells you how to set the voltage in MBT I would like that as I can't get mine past 1.23

http://www.overclock.net/t/1523391/easy-nvflash-guide-with-pictures-for-gtx-970-980

With: http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club

click on custom bios and use either the 1.25v or 1.281v bios (1.274v after v droop).

Extract your current bios and save it somewhere using GPU-Z first for safe keeping incase you want to flash it back in the future.

Last edited:
I have no iGPU, or spare GPUs laying around. Can't really afford to brick one :p

I'm happy with my 980Ti though, has better than average clocks considering it's on air.

I played GTA for the first time in a while today and I'm sad that my actual card has coil whine now.. I thought it was just my PSU, but after swapping it out for a SuperFlower, there is whine coming from the card too.

Dunno if I will RMA it, I can't really be bothered since it has to go through Gigabyte this time around which means a few weeks without my GPU.

Think how i felt first time around :D. Flashing 2 GPU's at the same time. I have no spare or no IGPU. Ive done it several times with different bios to find the max voltage id like. Hard to brick it really. Unless you get a power cut in the 5 seconds it takes to flash lol.

I reccommend looking at the guide above to how easy it actually is. 121% power bios not tempt you? ;)

Last edited:
My coil whine story with this card :o

this card made my Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w to coil whine quite loud when gaming, it is 5 years old, i inspected where the sound was coming from and its 100% from PSU, noting at all from card

so i get a Corsair HXi Series HX1000i yes overkill :rolleyes: , this also coil whines but lower, actually when start playing game and fan starts spinning up and sound of game it masks it ,

then i decide i'll try another PSU this time the EVGA SuperNova G2 850w , this also coil whines, but cant tell if its lower then the Corsair or not but i think it might be lower, once the fans kick in while gaming, hardly hear it

guess i have to just live with it , till maybe the next GPU , what makes this card make the PSU's do this , and now need to get rid of some PSU's , EVGA or Corsair, im thinking keeping the EVGA

the card is great by the way, been playing GTA5 for few hours, core at 1500mhz always / 8000mhz memory, fans auto 55% - 60% , temps 69c - 75c

Thanks

Sounds like a G1 Gaming to me.

I regret buying it for the coil whine, I guess I'm just either going to have to deal with it, or sell it and buy a different one.

Sounds like a G1 Gaming to me.

I regret buying it for the coil whine, I guess I'm just either going to have to deal with it, or sell it and buy a different one.

thats the problem , mine aint coming from the card at all, i checked properly , ran benchmarks that caused the highest coil whine, ear right next to it, used a tube to pin point sound

tried 3 different PSU's, hassle of replacing power cables,

the coil whine is coming from the PSU's,

on the 2 newer PSU's it aint that loud at all its not like its changing sounds its just a slight buzz, and once i start gaming fans spinning up it masks it .

weird how the card makes these PSU's all coil whine, and its not coming from the card

thats the problem , mine aint coming from the card at all, i checked properly , ran benchmarks that caused the highest coil whine, ear right next to it, used a tube to pin point sound

tried 3 different PSU's, hassle of replacing power cables,

the coil whine is coming from the PSU's,

on the 2 newer PSU's it aint that loud at all its not like its changing sounds its just a slight buzz, and once i start gaming fans spining up it masks .

weird how the card makes these PSU's all coil whine,

Mine was coming from the Corsair CX750 beforehand, at least that's where the majority of the sound was coming from, with my SuperFlower Leadex Gold 850W, none of the sound is coming from the PSU, it's just the card.

It's probably making the PSUs whine due to just how much power it requires, although I'd like to see someone run a 22 pin card off my old Corsair PSU :p

Edit: Quick question... Are you using a daisy changed PCI cable, or two individual ones? I don't remember if it was you I asked about this.

I have used two individual ones both times and I'm wondering whether daisy chained could help it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom