• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Caporegime
I have a very hard time believing that Techpowerup review is accurate!

No way @ 4K it hits 65C under full load water is only 45-55C ish triple slot fan low profile HSF is not all that temps wise.

According to them idle is 50C yet full load is only 65C again a fantasy figure for a flimsy air HSF!

Were these values taken in or out the case how many case fans etc etc

Looking closely at the review it looks like these values were taken @ 1920x1080 they are very similar to the results I got with my MSI 6G & stock HSF (55-57C idle & 65-67C under full load @ 1920x1080 even with not the worlds best case cooling according to some posters on here :rolleyes: ).

That card needs to be tested @ 4K for the thermal values to have context/meaning any GTX 980 Ti gives similar values @ 1920x1080 its well within the comfort zone for the GPU even the stock HSF models give similar results!

Seems about in line with my strix at 4k temps wise.

Soldato
I have an MSI 6G in SLI with a Strix and I don't get the heat problems AWPC was getting, even at 4K
Even at 1480 as a single card it never went above 80C even in the summer.

Associate
I cant believe AWPC still bangin on about his 4k temperatures. Your case sucks and has poor airflow.

I can't believe anyone can defend the MSI 6G cooler. Designed for 980/970s and slapped onto 980Tis, it's just unadequate :D

I do believe the Lightning is that good though, just as Zotac Amp Extreme and Innno 3/4X are.

Soldato
I've already explained to him that resolution is irrelevant, and posted details of the difference decent airflow makes, with little pictures and numbers n stuff. He just dismissed it all as a "mini tornado".

It's Asiafab territory now.

Soldato
I can't believe anyone can defend the MSI 6G cooler. Designed for 980/970s and slapped onto 980Tis, it's just unadequate :D

I do believe the Lightning is that good though, just as Zotac Amp Extreme and Innno 3/4X are.

Plenty of people have that card running heavily overclocked with no issues. It is actually a fine cooler for a 980ti.
Gigabyte use the same cooler on all their G1/windforce cards as well, it doesn't mean they are inadequate.

Soldato
Plenty of people have that card running heavily overclocked with no issues. It is actually a fine cooler for a 980ti.
Gigabyte use the same cooler on all their G1/windforce cards as well, it doesn't mean they are inadequate.

+1, the cooler is adequate but you must have good case air flow to help keep the GPU tempurature down which stops heat build up in the case.

Soldato
The card isn't going to get any hotter on any given resolution. V-sync off 1080p will draw as much power as 4k. 4k is 4x 1080p but like kaap said it's also 1/4 fps. If you want to see how hot it will get, run furmark. Managed to cause my GPU's to use 122% power.

Associate
Really tempted to get a 980Ti at the moment.
Will I see a huge increase going from 2x670 SLI to this card?
Also are there any particualr brand and model of card to get? I see in the last few pages MSI seems to get mentioned a lot as a good quiet card.
Is the MSI Gaming the card to get?

Associate
There's a thread about SLI 670s here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18697856 - Not too sure what got mentioned, though, just remember seeing it.

MSI is a very good all-round card, doesn't boost the highest, not the coolest (actually it might be one of the cooler ones if you don't count hybrids, but since they're very much available, I did), but it's definitely one of the quietest. If you want a 980Ti that'll just work out of the box, and work well for that matter, you can't go wrong with a 6G.

What card to get depends on what you want out of the card though :)

Associate

I have that card at 1450/8000 but on air (even after replacing TIM) was getting to 80+ degrees (when pushed to the limit) with fans being loud.

I think people who don't complain aren't pushing it all the times (V-Sync on).
I had X3, Amp! Extreme, HoF and G1 (all 980Tis) and the MSI is the only one to go easily past 75 degrees.
Which is fine, safe and within spec, but still something I want to avoid for the sake of my CPU :p

The cooler is OK, but in my opinion the least efficient.
The only reason I bought the 6G is because I knew there was the option to go G10.

P.S. The G1 has a massive copper baseplate. Just by picking it up you realize the difference.

980tig1-11w.jpg
cooler2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom