• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Would you say the Gigabyte G1 is better than the 6G? Can you also go G10 on the G1?
The cooler itself without a doubt, but the fans on the G1 tend to get loud and the G10 installation is not as easy as with the 6G.
Coil whine is also a tangible risk (mine had it).

Is the EVGA hydro cooler worth the extra money v G10 & H55?

You have a reference board right? EVGA is 90£, G10+H55 65£ but you would have to take care of heat spreaders for VRM and memory.
Having reference I would go EVGA, it looks much better.
The G10 ruined my case :p (but idling at 2 degrees delta is pretty cool).

Last edited:
Associate
The EVGA Hybrid card will be just as quiet as the MSI but around 20c cooler. I put a Hybrid on the MSI 6G because although it's super quiet, I wasn't happy with how hot the backplate got to touch.

By Hybrid do you mean the EGA wirth the external fan coller and pipes? I dont have the extra to spend on a Hybrid.

What about the Non Hybrid EVGA like the Superclocked + ? Does that run coller than the MSI G6?

Last edited:
Associate
So out of the Non-Hybrid cards the MSI is still the card to get or the EVGA? Sorry massively confused as I was led to beleive the MSI was the best card that runs on Air.

Associate
The card runs fine but can get quite hot (80 degrees). If your cpu doesn't mind there is no problem.
And 80 is not even that much, not long ago we were used to cards going as high as 90.

Caporegime
I don't find the 6g to be that hot tbh. The stick fan profile is a bit weak yes. On it mine will get to 76c. But using a custom profile its in the mid 60's. As the cooler is so quiet, you can run it at 80% and still barely hear it.

Soldato
Just a random question.

Finished a game and went back to the desktop, and noticed one of the fans on my Palit 980Ti didn't spin down (fan furthest from outputs), even though GPU-Z reported 0% fan speed. A restart fixed it and it hasn't happened since even when the fans have spun up.

Likely some kind of software bug versus hardware? :o

Associate
The card runs fine but can get quite hot (80 degrees). If your cpu doesn't mind there is no problem.
And 80 is not even that much, not long ago we were used to cards going as high as 90.

Ok so which one to go for? EVGA or MSI?

Hmm jsut read about the Asus Strix seems like a good card as well. Performance wise it does better than the other two and isn't far behind on the dB to that of the MSI. Is the only issue with the Asus the flashing logo and sub standard customer service?

Appreciate your help guys, sorry with all the questions just need to get assurances before spending £500. Don;t want to end up with Concordes turbine aand heatstroke in my office.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm jsut read about the Asus Strix seems like a good card as well. Performance wise it does better than the other two and isn't far behind on the dB to that of the MSI. Is the only issue with the Asus the flashing logo and sub standard customer service?

I own a Strix, after owning 3 G1 Gamings - I like the card in all honesty, but it's a bit long so you might want to see if it'd be possible to hoist it up a bit to stop it sagging. You can turn the logo off using LED Visualiser in GeForce Experience, you just can't have it on as one solid colour, which is a real shame in my opinion. Mine boosts to 1410 out of the box and the fans sit at 30% (what I consider inaudible when combined with my case fans) when idling and it's fine :)

That being said, if I didn't manage to pick it up for £480, I would not have touched it. I would have picked an EVGA SC+ ACX 2.0, probably.

Associate
Thanks Joe! OK seems like it might be the EVGA or the Strix now instread of the MSI.

My case is closed and has no windows so silly flashing logo wont be an issue.

Soldato
Thanks Joe! OK seems like it might be the EVGA or the Strix now instread of the MSI.

My case is closed and has no windows so silly flashing logo wont be an issue.

I've got both the MSI and a Strix and to be honest they are much of a muchness, the strix is capable of running very marginally faster but at the cost of being much noisier on higher fan settings... the MSI even on full is not very loud and is very comfortable on 80% and pretty much inaudible on 60%, where as the strix is comfortable at 50% but around 55-60% is my limit for gaming, any higher is purely benchmarking when the missus is out of the house territory

For "normal" usage I run them both at 1480 with the MSI on about 80% and the Strix on 50% and the strix in position 1 gets up to about 75C and the MSI in position 2 runs around 65C

Running a single card at 100% they will both do over 1500 without hitting 70C

the advantage the MSI has over the EVGA is that it has bigger fans, so for a given air flow the MSI will be slightly quieter than the EVGA
the heatsink on the EVGA is 266mm x 111mm
the heatsink on the MSI is 269mm x 140mm

so even the heatsink on the MSI is a fair big bigger as well

Last edited:
Associate
I personally avoid EVGA now, I think their coolers are utter crap compared to others.

Gotta say the cooler on the Lightning is the best I've owned. Max temps of 75C @65% fan speed and it's hardly audible.

Should get some pictures up really, to join the TROH...

Soldato
Really debating putting a g10 & h55 onto my zotac.

Case temps get toasty when gaming due to case not having good airflow.

( has 3 x 2200rpm ek vardar intake at fron, 3 stock fans intake at top)

Gpu can get up to 80c quite quickly when gaming and cpu goes to mid 60's.

With the zotac dumping all the heat into the case its not going to be helping temps.

Hows everyones 980ti been once water cooled?

Associate
Really debating putting a g10 & h55 onto my zotac.

Case temps get toasty when gaming due to case not having good airflow.

( has 3 x 2200rpm ek vardar intake at fron, 3 stock fans intake at top)

Gpu can get up to 80c quite quickly when gaming and cpu goes to mid 60's.

With the zotac dumping all the heat into the case its not going to be helping temps.

Hows everyones 980ti been once water cooled?

What's up with your intake? Why from the top?
You're pushing warm air back to the GPU, what do you have in the front slots?

Yup, switch the top mounted fans to exhaust. Should help with temps.

Back
Top Bottom