The Guardian's Owen Jones attacked outside London pub in a premeditated assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If it's extremely typical for right wing views and homophobia to collide then that's the reality of it HERE.

You need to stop grouping people into "Option 1" or "Option 2". You are making the situation worse.

The reality of HERE is people have varying political/social opinions, often mixed with elements from both the "left" and "right".

All you achieve with group advocacy ideology is more division of the country, less free thinking and more confrontation.

Don't be that guy.

Associate
You need to stop grouping people into "Option 1" or "Option 2". You are making the situation worse.

The reality of HERE is people have varying political/social opinions, often mixed with elements from both the "left" and "right".

All you achieve with group advocacy ideology is more division of the country, less free thinking and more confrontation.

Don't be that guy.

Good, rational and reasoned post. Thank you.

Associate
the man is a complete tool and hypocrite. I doubt it was far right thugs as no decent far right thug would have gone away without at least taking some of his teeth out.
his latest hypocrisy is to use the "our fathers fought for democracy etc", a lot of sentiments he usually attributes to the nationalists, imperialism and all out bad buggers who went and killed fascists so he could flounce around and spout his *****. God help us if ever we have to bear arms again and him and Corbyn's lot are all we can rely on.
Remember watching him once flounce off Sky news because they hadn't heard from a LGBTXYZR person about the murders at a gay pride event.

Soldato

Don't be that guy.

I concur.

Soldato
I think its kind of obvious that the story was hyped up by people pushing an agenda.

It's like when certain groups are fed a story that happens to suit their political agenda. They don't check out the facts and just tell it like its the truth. Until the truth comes out and it turns out the event didn't happen, or it was a minor altercation.

I noticed even Owens himself went on to play down the 'attack'. When he was on a BBC morning show the next day he didn't have any injury at all. If he had I'm sure he'd have been on there, showing it off, and going on a speech about hate crime.

It's kind of pathetic this victim mentality and exploitation these days. It's insulting to those people who have really been the victims of hate crime that others are using it for political point scoring.

The facts are if you have a strong opinion and you put it out there, someone or some people are going to disagree with you. Some might even get mouthy when you're out and about. A few might even get physical too. This is the price anyone pays for opening their mouths or typing an opinion in modern society, no matter what politicial side of the fence you're on.

Soldato
The facts are if you have a strong opinion and you put it out there, someone or some people are going to disagree with you. Some might even get mouthy when you're out and about. A few might even get physical too. This is the price anyone pays for opening their mouths or typing an opinion in modern society, no matter what politicial side of the fence you're on.

hmm the tone of your post is a bit.... "she shouldn't have been wearing a short skirt"

As much as I dislike owen jones he doesnt deserve violence for being a moron, you should be able to hold/voice opinions without being attacked.

Soldato
hmm the tone of your post is a bit.... "she shouldn't have been wearing a short skirt"

As much as I dislike owen jones he doesnt deserve violence for being a moron, you should be able to hold/voice opinions without being attacked.

Maybe it does have that tone. But this is a reality. I'm including myself in that too. If I say or type something online then I expect there is a likelyhood someone could challenge me on it. It's the gamble we take when offering an opinion to a conversation, that we're heard and acknowledged. If you want feedback from our opinions then its either all kinds of feedback or nothing at all.

I'm not saying the situation is right or correct. If we take away peoples personal responsibility for the things they say and do, then that will create even more extreme views in society, with threats to kill people, because they would know there is no come back.

It's like if someone says something racist, don't you think they should get feedback on that?

I'm for free speech and would only consider it a problem if someone is saying or writing directly to physically injure or issuing death threats against someone. Any other comment I'm ok with. I think for humans its not possible that we all agree with each other. I think its nature that we'll argue. The only way lunatics who try to become violent will be dissuaded is if all the reasonable people from all sides start condemning it, even if the person is doing in the name of an opinion they support.

V F

V F

Soldato
Maybe it does have that tone. But this is a reality. I'm including myself in that too. If I say or type something online then I expect there is a likelyhood someone could challenge me on it. It's the gamble we take when offering an opinion to a conversation, that we're heard and acknowledged. If you want feedback from our opinions then its either all kinds of feedback or nothing at all.

I'm not saying the situation is right or correct. If we take away peoples personal responsibility for the things they say and do, then that will create even more extreme views in society, with threats to kill people, because they would know there is no come back.

It's like if someone says something racist, don't you think they should get feedback on that?

I'm for free speech and would only consider it a problem if someone is saying or writing directly to physically injure or issuing death threats against someone. Any other comment I'm ok with. I think for humans its not possible that we all agree with each other. I think its nature that we'll argue. The only way lunatics who try to become violent will be dissuaded is if all the reasonable people from all sides start condemning it, even if the person is doing in the name of an opinion they support.

To achieve what? It isn't my job to police people. At least I now know and confirmed what an arse they are.

The biggest thing people hate is being ignored.

Soldato

Im not talking about "feedback", I'm talking about being attacked physically by someone for taking offence at words.

Soldato
Im not talking about "feedback", I'm talking about being attacked physically by someone for taking offence at words.

I don't really understand how the point I was making isn't obvious. Didn't you hear that now its acceptable to throw milkshakes at people because of a difference of opinion? Or the "punch a nazi" slogan that is now generally accepted (nazi meaning anyone the person disagrees with), or the threats to kill, and rape, that are regularly posted on to social media and depending on who is saying it decides how much backlash there will be.

This is the world we live in today. I think we went down this dark road when it became accepted that if a person used the N word then they deserve a slap.

The whole ideology of 'hate speech' is about demonising people with certain views. When people are demonised that is the first step to getting rid of them from society.

I think its all disgusting and uncivilised. We, as a people, are devolving socially. Extremist positions on all sides are becoming more mainstream, and so is their reactions to people of opposite opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom