The hangout thread (organising social gaming etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
No worries Shi.

Lovely course, really quite hard though! Some holes wouldn't have been out of place in the difficult setting. It makes me wonder just how hard the hard is!

Soldato
That was a great game. I like the course, but it's pretty hard.
Shame about Shi's mic not working. Hope he gets it sorted for next time.
On the plus side I used Sidequest to restore my Walkabout saved data, and got back all my golf balls and clubs. So it's well worth using Sidequest to backup your game data before doing a factory reset.

Soldato
yeah, its going to be "insane" level lol

did you sort out Virtual Desktop? I see you read my post above with the fix. It's bad enough that you are restricted to 100Mbps and H.264 when using Airlink, but, it's crap that we are reduced to that using Virtual Desktop too. I wish AMD would sort out their encoders :(

Soldato
OP
did you sort out Virtual Desktop? I see you read my post above with the fix. It's bad enough that you are restricted to 100Mbps and H.264 when using Airlink, but, it's crap that we are reduced to that using Virtual Desktop too. I wish AMD would sort out their encoders :(

I've been swapping between encoders using virtual desktop, and setting over 100mps for streaming? Is it that it just doesn't make any difference?

Underboss
That was a great game. I like the course, but it's pretty hard.
Shame about Shi's mic not working. Hope he gets it sorted for next time.
On the plus side I used Sidequest to restore my Walkabout saved data, and got back all my golf balls and clubs. So it's well worth using Sidequest to backup your game data before doing a factory reset.

Steam I use, and it still had everything When I joined last night

Underboss

Went to bed and I'm working today, so I won't have a chance till maybe later

Soldato
22.5.1 I believe. Can definitely still select HEVC in the VD streamer.

You can select it and use higher bitrates than 100Mbps. But there are three problems currently. The first is that you have my problem, where Steam VR crashes all the time when you select HEVC. The second is the one that ShiWarrior has, is that you get double vision while playing PCVR games. The third is that even if you select HEVC and use a higher bitrate than a 100Mbps it will still look like you are using a lower bitrate and H.264. Or you might be lucky and have none of these issues.

The recommended driver and configuration by Ggodin over on the Virtual desktop discord is that you use 22.5.1 drivers, H.264 and a bitrate less than 100Mbps. Until AMD fix their Drivers.

HEVC is so much better than H.264 on AMD's GPUs. You might not notice the difference in games Like Beat Saber, Pistol whip, Walk about mini golf etc. But, in more graphically demanding games the difference is easily noticeable, especially at a distance. Skyrim VR, for example, is a brilliant game to use for spotting the difference in encoders. HEVC on Virtual desktop looks better than Link cable on AMD GPUs. Well, it used to when HEVC worked!!

Soldato
OP
You can select it and use higher bitrates than 100Mbps. But there are three problems currently. The first is that you have my problem, where Steam VR crashes all the time when you select HEVC. The second is the one that ShiWarrior has, is that you get double vision while playing PCVR games. The third is that even if you select HEVC and use a higher bitrate than a 100Mbps it will still look like you are using a lower bitrate and H.264. Or you might be lucky and have none of these issues.

The recommended driver and configuration by Ggodin over on the Virtual desktop discord is that you use 22.5.1 drivers, H.264 and a bitrate less than 100Mbps. Until AMD fix their Drivers.

HEVC is so much better than H.264 on AMD's GPUs. You might not notice the difference in games Like Beat Saber, Pistol whip, Walk about mini golf etc. But, in more graphically demanding games the difference is easily noticeable, especially at a distance. Skyrim VR, for example, is a brilliant game to use for spotting the difference in encoders. HEVC on Virtual desktop looks better than Link cable on AMD GPUs. Well, it used to when HEVC worked!!
Don't use SteamVR, only use it for after the fall through oculus at the moment.

I'll adjust the settings for now though I guess.

Soldato
Shiwarrior saw me online and asked me in for a quick game of Golf to check was everything back working.

And it is :) He now sounds like an evil wizard in a cave though :p

Went in for one quick hole to do the test, ended up playing a whole round. Thanks Shi, enjoyed the game :)

Soldato
Well I've got to send my left controller back to Oculus for replacement, which is in the Czech republic(!), so it could be a while before I get a replacement which means I'll be using my Index instead for golf for a while.

Soldato
Well I've got to send my left controller back to Oculus for replacement, which is in the Czech republic(!), so it could be a while before I get a replacement which means I'll be using my Index instead for golf for a while.

Shame that you have to go back to using such a poor headset!! :p

Hope the replacement doesn't take too long, seems to be a bit of a shortage of controllers at the moment.

Soldato
Shame that you have to go back to using such a poor headset!! :p

Hope the replacement doesn't take too long, seems to be a bit of a shortage of controllers at the moment.

I do miss the wireless! Quest 2 is far better for golf also because for some reason the lenses seem to be clearer when moving your head between the ball and the hole when putting. Index has pretty clear lenses generally, but in this case they seem blurry when glancing towards the hole. Also the headset is pretty bulky when looking down and moving your head.

Still it's nice to have an additional headset I can use for VR gaming.

Though I can still use the Quest 2 for media as you only need one controller or hand tracking.

I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to replace. I want to take my Quest 2 on holiday soon as in the evenings I should be able to use some large outdoor spaces to play in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom