The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

Soldato
I just found out about these, was going to swap a qtec 500w with one for a spare c2d pc i have, the question is which is the worse psu between the two!? :p

Soldato
Both to be avoided:D

I might favor the Hyper PSU if theres no other option.

It's worked fine all these years in the family pc, i just wanted something a bit quieter for my spare pc, i found out the qtec was a load of rubbish years ago but looking at the hyper it's actually quite nice, shame really.

Soldato
Cannot believe people are still using them, if according to this thread it has something like a 50% failure rate, I would replace it ASAP and not say "ah well its ok at the moment", I would just get that out of the PC as soon as possible.

Associate
Lol I've still got mine - worked great in a variety of systems until around 2010 when a combination of needing different connectors and more power forced an upgrade.

Associate
When mine blew they sent out a replacement. I just plugged it into the wall and provided power to it (not in a computer) and immediately it was squealing like crazy. Sent that one back too!

Soldato
This thread... Amazing

I remember this PSU
Well, über crap Fuhjyyu capped PSUs of one time were also very reliably unreliable.

Remember helping one neighbour to choose parts and then assemble photoshopping PC telling that bundled PSU of Sonata II was such.
Then five months later got call that pressing PC's power button had given some muffled popping noise from PSU.

Soldato
I still have one of these working in an office pc to this day.

I guess I was lucky?
Maybe they constructed it wrong and accidentally took parts from better parts bag.

If that PC has some value above paper weight would be good to check insides of PSU for bulging capacitors.
(that would be sure sign of them being well into failing process)
Detach power cord from wall and press power button couple times (like when starting PC) to lower charge in PSU's capacitors.
Then waiting over night/for day before opening PSU would be second safety precaution to let capacitors leak their charge further.

Associate
My Hiper Type R Machine got upgraded and I am still getting crashes within WoW (yes, this is just an office machine but I do play WoW on it too).

Similar crashing within WoW but I get a BSOD instead now instead of what I thought was VRAM failure in my old 4890 GPU. As the system now has an APU (3200G), i'm attributing it to the 12v to from the PSU dropping during load.

Took the type R apart yesterday and one of the big caps is bulging. Replacement time.

Back
Top Bottom